Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The race is on: Receivership or MegaChurch « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't decide which one to bet money on: The city going into receivership (court-appointed or otherwise) or Rouge Park being sold for future MegaChurches (After all, the Mayor's new church-home, Greater Emmanuel Institutional has limited parking and limited seating up there on West Seven Mile).

Thought I'd throw this out to see which squares all y'all would place your quarters on.

--Brenda

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont want to sound sacreligious here but mega churches are such a inefficient useage of city land. I understand that the city may be taking a "all development is good development aproach" to the citys redevelopment, but I dont approve demolishing entire neighborhoods and the grids their built on for a giant church. How many of them are going to build? Its like everytime I come home there is a new one, so I put my quarters on the church.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd hope anything built large would have use more than one day of each week. :-)

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the city's weak argument will be that the park isn't bringing in tax dollars anyway.

And I didn't even consider the possibility of a Wal-Mart opening there. Wal-Mart did look at other properties in the city on the far west side a while ago, didn't they? If the city flips the park into private hands and the private hands subsequently flip it into Wal-Mart's hands, the only thing preventing that development would be city council approval, right?

--Brenda

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You arent the only one.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on October 20, 2006)

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess a Wal-Mart would be used more than one day of each week. 24/7.

And think of all the jobs one would bring to the city! Jenny and Big D could add these new jobs to their list of successes.

-Brenda

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but selling of park land for a Walmart, arguably the most hated company this side of Enron, would not go over well with the parks supporters. I could tolerate residental development on park land but not another church or walmart.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many votes could councilmembers lose in the next election if they pissed off a few non-churchgoers on the city's far west side? The church vote is the only vote that gets politicians elected in this city.

Councilmembers would probably end up with more citizen support (votes) if they showed willingness to turn over all city-owned property to the megachurches.

It's not a matter of potential tax-revenue. It's about being re-elected and keeping the six-figure incomes.

--Brenda

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 789
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Walmart Church. Open 24/7 for all your consumer salvation needs. :-)

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the only way I can afford to be saved after tithing half of my income to my megachurch and television ministries is to spend what little is left at my local Wal-Mart.

Detroit truly does need a Wal-Mart for its people. When Livonia opted out of SMART, I'm assuming the bus to the Meijer/Walmart corner where Ladbroke DRC used to be was cancelled, too. The poor, the elderly, the subsisting, and the transportation-dependent who are not so poor, so elderly, so subsisting in the City of Detroit -- we must think of their needs, too. Or at least, that's what the good folks on council and in the mayor's office will want us to believe when they approve Wal-Mart's plan to build on the far west side on the future former Rouge Park land.

--Brenda

--Brenda

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, on second thought...

If a court-appointed receiver did come in to sort out the city's messes, she would have the authority to sell off any and all city lands without the consent of the city council or the mayor or any authority save objections from the judge who appointed her.

If the received-city gets deep enough into debt after court-appointed receivership, the appointed manager would have no choice but to sell off Rouge Park and Belle Isle to the highest bidder bringing in the most jobs and building the biggest buildings on the land it unloads. I'm sure the woman appointed by the court to sort out the city messes would pick the biggest money, largest employee base, highest potential tax revenue projects for any and all city-owned sites she unloads to bring the city out of debt.

At least, that's how I assume it would go down if her mission was to raise a shitload of money in record time at any expense with no holds barred. The receiver is paid to do a job single-mindedly; the receiver would not be thinking about reelection, just about a paycheck for a deficit-elimination and a functioning, down-sized city government "by any means necessary"--

BAMN!

--Brenda

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe and I think that is why recievership is feared. But I dont think all of Rouge Park or Belle Isle will be auctioned off. People state wide love those parks, and it would be political suicide for any politician who supported the appointment of the reciever if the park is indeed sold off.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 331
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, if the judiciary appoints the receiver, the politicians won't be able to do a damned thing.

If the governor appoints the receiver that's a different story.

--Brenda

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, well if it comes to it lets hope the govenor has to do the appointing.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if it comes to it and Jenny is still in charge, there will be no appointing.

Jenny won't do it, which means if the city fouls up and gets into a mess then a court would step in, in Jenny's place, to take care of business. It's a catch-22: Jenny's damned if she does, and Detroiters are damned if she doesn't.

--Brenda

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess everyone who didn't post on this thread supports court-appointed receivership and/or megachurches being built in Rouge Park????!

BUMP!

--Brenda

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer neither, but if you're making me choose, bring on receivership. Might as well solve all the problems at once.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP!

Where is the outrage on this forum that selling the park even came to mind?

--Brenda

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we want to save Rouge Park?

Convince Wayne County to annex it to the Hines Park system. Write letters. Write emails to your county commissioners!

--Brenda

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring on the Republican's to control Detroit. What have we got to loose?

BTW, Let's RE-ELECT Jen!!!

Detroitej72... Fears our governnment...

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girl, you really must care about Rouge Park!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Rouge Park. It does seem silly to sell some of it off for development when there is so much vacant land in the city with the infrastructure already in place.
My personal preference would be to completely bulldoze what's left of Brightmoor, (including those new Habitat for Humanity compressed sawdust and plastic boxes), and turn it into something else, be that farmland or megasnakeoilchurch.
Given that the probability of that happening is about zero, I shrug over the sale of a bit of Rouge Park, developed for the residents of a city with twice as much population as we have now.

Quite simply, there's too many other things to be outraged about.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're at it, we could sell off the eastern tip of Belle Isle for a Detroit "Cross in the Woods" where one could attend a 6am service and watch the sun rise behind the altar.

Ever since they got rid of the stables, there's little going on on that end of the island. Why not build a microsnakeoilchurch there, or open the island up to pigfarming once again.

--Brenda

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone put a little extra something in your coffee this morning, Brenda? You is off da hook!

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Matt, you know I take mine black.

--Brenda

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe most who didn't post don't think either outcome will happen. You make it sound like there are no other options....

(Message edited by Gistok on October 22, 2006)

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be so optimistic would be folly.
Surely there aren't people that blind to reality on this forum.

--Brenda

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 871
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell that wasteland.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rouge would make a beautiful park if it was taken care of. I biked through there quite a bit this summer and I couldn't believe how high the grass was or how horribly the out buildings are maintained. The Pool still seems to be maintained fairly well but most of it was closed almost all summer. If we are going to keep it at least let's take care of it.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the west-Detroiters love their park, they'd get BlightBusters to go door to door collecting $5 from neighbors and buy it from the city. I'm not sure a petition could save the park.

And I guess, who needs Rouge Park when Hines Drive is open and accessible to all and paid for by county taxes.

The only thing I don't like about selling off Rouge Park is that it will be PRECEDENCE for selling off the rest of the city's parks and rec department, and other city stuff. If selling Rouge Park seems too easy, then they'll be condo-ing out 2 Woodward in no time. I can see the closed copshops being turned into ethnic restaurants too, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

We just have to see how this city's leaders unload things that, though they are owned by the city, don't "belong" to the city. It's like they're selling off their aunts and uncles and mine. We'll look like Troy or Taylor in no time if we get rid of all this stuff.

--Brenda

Gistok

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman meet Brenda... Brenda meet Trainman.... :-)

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Priceless.

Gistok

Post Number: 2987
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it looks like Rouge Park has been spared dismemberment... :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.