Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3942
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

With the National League Championship Series going the distance, this whole week has been something of a victory lap for the Detroit Tigers. Save for the truly heartless—those who kick puppies and bust picket lines and root for the Cardinals—the whole world is cracking an icy Stroh's and raising it high, not merely to cheer the Tigers' surprising bid for the World Series, but to root on the once-great city as well.

http://www.slate.com/id/215197 6/

Break out the slings and arrows, another journalist has dared to disparage our fair City.

Please ignore any facts he might bring up.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmmmmm....wth kind of site is that?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a metaphor for the fortunes of the two cities … Wall Street versus the working class."

Odd the working class in this fight often doesnt win, maybe if you believe in signs this could be a good one for our fair city.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

betcha when he lived here he was in the 'burbs :-)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Humm... I ware glasses, and nobody has ever confuised me with billy gates. As far as the civic programe to recycle pop cans, well, he's obviously either lying or being disingenuos as all of Mich. has had a bottle deposit since the late 70's.

And as far as the snow- plowing goes, Detroit started to plow thier side streets during Archer's term, during the winter of 99.

Detroitej72, Stopping the spread of lies about DETROIT, one tread at a time...

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That cold, mean little town on the ass-end of the Midwest might have been gutted by white flight, bled dry by the auto industry, and shamed as one of America's most violent, economically barren cities. ..."

Is there any lack of truth to this statement by the journalist. He's just telling it like it is, and if anyone living here disagrees with it then they're living in a fantasy world.

Detroit is PRESENTLY the ass-end of the Midwest. There may be other hemorrhoid cities and moles on the inside of the Midwest's suburban thighs and crabs chewing at its rural balls, and fungi wasting away at it's one-horse-town toenails, but hey folks.........

Welcome to the poopchute! One of the metropolises in the Midwest has to be the buttocks, but I don't see Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianopolis (soon to eclipse Detroit in population if it hasn't already done so), etc., trying to kick us out of the "throne room."

It's all dropping into the sh*tter from here at present. Wake up and smell the Crappuccinos, peeps!

--Brenda

Lcr
Username: Lcr

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand what do people get out of Bashing Detroit? I don't wanna play the race card but is all the attacks due to the city being primarily black? After all, have you ever heard of a city being criticized or called segregated because it was majority white? But I guess it just means that we are doing something right...people are talking about us. Notice that Detroit have had tremendous problems for the last.....??? years. But people only began to talk negativity when we began to improve. After the superbowl, tigers victory, piston's victory and the new development people from every direction began to point out all of the things that have been happening wayyyy before my time. It seems that people are even attacking us for having just a little bit of hope. I can't believe how many articles I've read with the journalists mocking our hope...claiming that it's frivolous. so I guess we're ok with the world just as long as we're little poor abandoned Detroit...but as soon as we try to change that, that is where the problems start. A crucial thing that we need to do as citizens is to come together and counteract all of this media attack. Seriously, every opportunity that we get we should post replies to these messages, and reply yo people in person who talk negatively about Detroit. Remember what your mother always told you about the schoolyard bully. They'll pick on you forever if you don't fight back. The problem is getting people in Detroit to fight back. I suggested earlier that people go to www.bestplaces.net and leave positive feedback but no one did it so I guess it was not a good idea...But anyways KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DETROIT AND PEOPLE WILL CONTINUE TO TALK!!!:-)

Lcr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The discussions on this site is great and most all so positive. However, most of the readers are Detroiters. it's time that we informed people outside of Detroit what is so good about the city.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be surprised if there aren't numerous mentions of the events of 1967 during the World Series coverage since it pits the 1968 teams in a rematch.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And its people who make these comments that keep on hurting Detroit. What I am sick and tired of is BS that just keeps kicking the dead horse. Journalist and people who really don't know Detroit keep bringing up the same thing over and over with bits and pieces of info they don't really know about. They act like we don't know what the state of the city is like right now.

It seems as if no matter what positive things goes on in Detroit, people still find a way to put the residents and the city down. These aren't good times for Detroit economically, but the spirit of the city is still well alive.

Whats funny to me is that everytime Detroit gets a big event(Super Bowl, All-Star Game, Championship teams winning titles, Auto Show, or any event here), everyone wants to claim Detroit and its success. But when the city is listed as a crime ridden city, failing auto industry, and have corrupt politicians, don't no one want to be part of Detroit or claim it. I watched as people shouted "GO Detroit" from down here in Mississippi from my apartment while at school watching all the networks and was amazed at how many people say they love Detroit. From watching the Shock, Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings, and Lions, Detroit looks good from here and I'm proud no matter what.

Detroit is unique and has its own identity and that is what makes Detroiters special in my opinion and different from other big cities. The city has made huge step in every aspect to improve itself. And if people keep talking negative about the same issues, then maybe you should't be in Detroit. I hate it when people gloat or try to make it seem like "yeah, I live in the suburbs or another city and we are better off than you attitude." Every city big or small has crime, economic issues, and problems there city must face to get back on track.

These are some tough times for the city, but there is still a lot of excellent things going on. Detroiters always have kept our head to the sky no matter what. If we are such a bad city, then why does it seem like Detroit keeps winning?
Teams are winning championships and gaining national attention, businesses are giving Detroit a second look to relocate here, new housing everywhere, Riverfront development that will be like no other, and still Detroiters keep there heads high. More developments and job will come as we continue to build a World Class Detroit.I bet Detroit population by 2010 will increase. After a lot of developments we see now will be finished and more will keep coming.

Must we forget that Detroit has played a huge,if not one of the top 10 biggest role in the country and shaping the world. So why is it that everyone act like we don't know what Detroit is facing? Oh, but I forgot that Detroit is the only major city that has crime and economic issue. Like no other city but Detroit doesn't have crime or economic issues they must face.

My future businesses will be started here, I'm going to raise my family here, and I will die here. If me and three other people are the only ones left in Detroit, then so bet it. But I bet neither one of us will be the first to turn off the lights. We all will leave the lights on and let Detroit shine as a beacon of light.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The discussions on this site is great and most all so positive. However, most of the readers are Detroiters. it's time that we informed people outside of Detroit what is so good about the city.

See what a good job of that we're doing with Miss_Cleo?

Username: 3420

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Detroit is the ass end of the Midwest as one proclaims. If you have a convo with anyone you know from any city, they will tell you the good and bad about there city. Detroit in the last 5 years has had more winning sports teams(except the lions) than any other Midwest city and this year alone proves it.

I have friends that are from midwestern states or cities that goes to school here and they all they would, are, and have been to Detroit and liked it. And these aren't your typical "I don't know much about your city besides music and cars" type of friends. These are people I know that are aware of the issues in there city as well as Detroit. From busiesses majors to engineers, everyone I know view Detroit in a positive light.

The only 1 thing that they may say bad is that we need a large departement store downtown and more shopping. Thats the worst I have heard from any of them. It seems as if Detroit's own resident and others really don't believe in Detroit from time to time. Just like in the mold of what president Bush said:"either you with us Detroiters or you are againt us". I'm really not using that in the sense that you got to be a Detroiter in order for it succeed, but the way it is put together makes sense.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cavalieri used to write for the Metro Times.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10780
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A World Series victory would be great, but it won't make someone smile if he doesn't have a job.

Ain't got a job, but I'll be smiling ear to ear! Fuck this guy, he doesn't know Detroit, he doesn't know this region, he doesn't know it's people. I'd like to "Crack open a Stroh's" as they put it, right off their foreheads! (as long as there was no spillage)

So many outsiders simply don't get it. Same way some in this region who try to convince Detroiters why we shouldn't live here, what our problems are, and how to fix them often don't get it. This is Detroit goddamn it, take it for what it is. Last I checked there were still close to 1 million people living here, yet perhaps much of the nation along with the media would like to label it as "a ghost town" because it's a city not made up of "their kind" of people. So a city with close to 1 million people, 82% or so whom are black, a city that is ranked 10th or 11th LARGEST in the nation, well, apparently we are a ghost town.

I don't know why I even bother getting upset over this shit anymore, as I've heard it 100x over. Same old story, same broken record. Perhaps it's because unlike these writers in other cities, we in this region have a pride in our city. When somebody bad mouths our city, we take that to heart, we take it as somebody trying to break down our pride.

Fuck those people. I'm unemployed, I'm going to the World Series, and I'm gonna watch as our Tigers win the World Series...and if they don't? Well guess what, I'll still be smiling when it's all said and done. I know where they team came from, I know how ugly it was, I know what they accomplished, I know how they caught us all by surprise this season. They've dusted off a hope that will benefit Detroit. That same feeling that brought this region together for the Super Bowl has risen up again. A people, a region, once again thinking as one. We are all Detroiters, even the folks driving up 2 horus from Ohio for the games.

If some prick writing a column can't figure out how I can still have a smile in my face, then he needs to find another line of work, as he's obviously not getting the full story and never will.

(Message edited by supersport on October 21, 2006)

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The only 1 thing that they may say bad is that we need a large departement store downtown and more shopping".

A Sears/Kmart would do it, although some may mention the stores only come from the money, then I would think after SEars has considered the business they are getting at their Easltand flagship, that they would make an attempt to open a flagship downtown, because most of the people who shop at the Eastland location are from the city or nearby suburbs. They could build on that barron lot behind the Compuware building. It would also help out Woodward avenue I think also, because as I said, people first stop when it comes to shopping is an anchor store like Sears or Value City.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, kudos on the Sufjan "It's SOOF-yan" Stevens headline.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks, thats not jams doing, its the title of the article, which no doubt was pulled from Sufjan.

On a side, why do we care? Do we need to live up to some ex-resident journalist's opinion? I think not, I continue to do what I'm doing...

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 844
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Supersport!

This redundance in journalism of which you speak is evidence of the lack of creativity, foresight, talent and a bunch of other characteristics that writers should have.

I'm with you all the way - F*** 'em!!!!

later - naturalsister

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are just beating yourselves to death as I see it from here in nashville. And yes when I lived there I lived in the burbs some, but I also lived in the heart of the city for years. Its a great city and people are trying to put a good face on it from where were looking. If you guys would quit beating up each other and be more postive it would sure help. When someone says something bad about Detroit, Im one of the first ones to come to bat. I can name a lot of things good about detroit. I just lost my job and had to move. Quit being so negative yourselves and the world will turn its view around. Every time you hear a negative comment, counter with a positive one. You guys are the ones beating the dead horse. STOP IT!!!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3143
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point exmotowner, but if someone is going to be negative there is nothing that can be done but to show how they are wrong.

What I hear from the article is unconscious envy. Detroit that "ass-end", that post-industrial, ruin-covered, dysfunctional, racially-divided, crime-ridden dump is rising and shining. These writers just can't stand that because, after a lifetime trashing the D and telling everybody to run for the lives, the apocalypse they predicted has not arrived.

It has to be totally frustrating and confusing, even shocking, for them to learn, as a recent headline put it, "The Core of Detroit is Booming", to see Harbortown sell out its condos in a day, 40 of 67 go in the BC in a day, while work moves forward on another 600 at @water. <-And that is just a small fraction of the news.

I suspect they are a little perplexed and saddened because they find themselves emotionally left out of the big party.

How could they possibly drive downtown, run a few laps at the Y, have a nice dinner at Small Plates, sashay to the Opera house or one of the stadiums, cheer their heads off and then nightcap Cliff Bells?

They just wouldn't fit because they would be admitting they were wrong.

It is well known what happens to kids who feel left out, even if it is of their own making -- they strike out at they partiers, call them losers, dreamers, who will soon see their party collapse and add as a parting shot, ‘I wouldn’t want to go that party even if I was invited.’

Too bad, because we’re going to celebrate anyway and as our old saying goes, “There ain’t no party, like as Dee-troit party!”

Lcr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner, I think that most people in this forum on this particular thread is not beating theorselves up for the most part. The point of most of these postings in to counteract the negativity. It's just a shame that we are doing it on a forum that's predominantly Detroiters. I just wish we can come togather in National forums and do the same thing for our city. :-)

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck this guy and anybody else with the same mindset.

As a long-time Detroit resident, I welcome any constructive criticism of my city. Detroit has manifold problems, and the news media should be reporting what our leaders are doing (or not doing) to work out our issues. The media plays a very important role in bringing this information to the public, and it is very sad to see a writer shrug off his resposibilty to deliver his article in an even-handed fashion, in favor of a highly biased tirade filled with dubious observations.

quote:

A World Series victory would be great, but it won't make someone smile if he doesn't have a job.

This cheap-shot at Detroit is nonsensical and flat-out stupid. The Tigers have been playing baseball in Detroit for over a century, through the good times and bad. The big 3 have been the foundation of our local economy for decades, and they are now laying off thousands of workers due to their shrinking sales.

Insinuating that the success of the 2006 Tigers is just an attempt to divert attention away from the recent job losses, or an attempt to replace these auto jobs with playoff games, is insane.

I still can't figure it out:

quote:

What is he trying to say with this statement?

1. People will lose their jobs if the Tigers win the World Series?
2. The Detroit Tigers were formed in the late 1800's to serve as a distraction for the 2006 auto layoffs?
3. People are losing their jobs because the Tigers have finally moved out of last place, and they are now contenders?
4. Ford and GM have been waiting 20 years for the Tigers to get back into the playoffs so they could layoff workers while everybody else was watching the Tigers games?
---------------

I suppose all of these conspiracy theories are possible, but I have a really crazy theory...

The Tigers have nothing to do with the auto layoffs.

-Detroit has been the home of Tiger baseball for over 100 years.
-Detroit has been the home of auto production for 100 years.

The coincidence may be remarkable, but I still don't think the big 3 makes staffing decisions based on the Tigers postseason play.

Erikd

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More nonsense from the same article...

quote:

Besides, haven't we heard all this before? Wasn't that other new stadium—the squat football shoebox built downtown to attract last year's Super Bowl—supposed to boost Detroit's spirits and economy?

???

That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read. The impact of Ford Field has boosted Detroit's spirits and economy without question.

quote:

If this place's psychic wounds were going to get healed by championships, stadiums, and the glory of its teams, shouldn't we have seen a sign of it by now?

???

He hasn't seen a sign of it?

Greater downtown has been vastly improved since Comerica Park opened. The dual stadia site and surrounding areas are have been completely transformed from vacant lots and buildings to a thriving area in the span of six years.

Erikd

Post Number: 748
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is my favorite...

quote:

Carbonated soda is "pop," but there's no civic program to recycle the can.

No civic program to recycle pop cans?

WE HAVE A CONTAINER DEPOSIT LAW, YOU FUCKING RETARD!

It is common knowledge that Michigan has the highest container deposit amount in the country.

There was even a Seinfeld episode about a scam to return NY pop cans in Michigan.

Erikd

Post Number: 749
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am used to people taking shots at Detroit, but this article really pissed me off.

Slate.com is associated with the Washington Post, and they are a frequent contributor on NPR talk shows.

I listen to WDET on a fairly regular basis, mostly because of their balanced coverage and lack of sensationalism.

This article lacks any validity, it is filled with errors, and it has no journalistic merit. This is the type of garbage that I expect from Howard Stern or Jerry Springer, not NPR and the Washington Post.

Lcr

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I glad to see that everyone is passionate about the issues and eager to stick up for a city. In my opinion, the article is along the lines of slander. I suggest that at the bottom of the article where it asks for comments, we go there and leave the same reactions that we are leaving here. I know that I'm going to do so.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.