Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » See How We Celebrated in 1968! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox 2 has posted some video of the 1968 celebrations in downtown following the defeat of the Cardinals.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/

click on the See How They Celebrated Link.

Enjoy!!!!

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never seen that footage before. Very cool!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The go-go girls dancing on top of the cars was the highlight for me.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 824
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The go-go girls dancing on top of the cars was the highlight for me.

If you look carefully, you can see they were the highlight for some young kids in the crowd too.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else having issues opening the 68 video? I only get the one where they talk to eveyrone around town....

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 843
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How might I save it? My download speed is 230.4KBPS so once I get it I want to keep it.

It's taken about 15 minutes to download half. Any tips on saving it?

later - naturalsister

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 668
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember riding my bike through our old neighboorhood (7 mile/Evergreen-Lahser) with my friend Mike on the handlebars when the air raid sirens went off (they sounded the air raid sirens to celebrate) and we look at each other and thought "shit, we're getting nuked". this was during the cold war, and everyone from my older sister to my fourth grade science teacher was telling us that we were all going to be incerated instantly one day when WWIII finally happens. My fourth grade science teacher Mr. Paul at Holcomb elementary told the class that "when it happens Detroit will be one of the first cities to go" because of all of the defense industry here. My (current) friend Dave is nine years older, he was 18 in '68 he remembers a Stroh's delivery truck going up Gratiot with the sides rolled up, and one of the delivery guys throwing long necks of Stroh's into the crowd. Sounds like a Par---Tay!

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the cars. Look how everybody is dressed. Men in suits and ties and ladies in dresses.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 869
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in a suit and tie back in those days myself. Now I'm just a slob like everyone else. :-)

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bar, was that Nemo's?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Fox2 has taken this video off their site. Did anyone get a chance to save it before they removed it??? I'd love to get a copy to show my friends. GO TIGERS!!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The page was moved, try this link...
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Sports/Detail?conten tId=1237181&version=1&locale=E N-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=6. 1.1

If that doesn't work, use the first link, the the Sports tab. On the right side of the frame there are a number of videos.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Oct was warmer that year since those dancing girls had so little on!

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also didnt have to go through two rounds of playoffs before the series, so that probably helped.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, there's a lot of hairspray in those ladie's hairdos. :-)

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite part was where Geraldo was shot at.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.