Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Segment Before Game on FOX « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mclite
Username: Mclite

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullshit, complete and utter bullshit.

Is anyone as upset by it as I am?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

missed it - what'd they show/say?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was bullshit about it.....there are some great things going on in Detroit, but for the most part bad economy and job cuts sums up a lot right now.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread needs context.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was more upset by the 6th inning.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, what a crash. Hopefully it's just first night jitters like the opener with the Yankees. (oh Brandon, my Brandon, that was downright ugly)

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought that was a beautiful segment...

horrible game however.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone else hear the quick remark by one of the announcers that Tiger Stadium will be razed next summer?

hmmmm.......

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I thought that was interesting where did he get his info from?

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see anything wrong with the pre-game segment on Fox. In a nutshell, it was a short clip about the struggles faced by everyday Detroiters - the usual issues that we are all very much aware of such as job loss, poverty, homelessness, racial divide, blight and so on. Reality is often painful.

Now as for the game, yes, I am upset. The Tigers' gameplan fell apart from the 2nd inning onwards. Let's regroup and play better tomorrow, guys.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch!, but thats why they play 7 games.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it interesting that Joe Buck said C-Moe was our best athlete.

All other publications said B. Inge was a "pure athlete", and C-Granderson was supposed to be a "5 tool player".

What gives??? IS Buck & McCarver that ignorant, Or is it a case of the national spotlight (i.e. media) just so oblivious to the Detroit Tigers?

Detroitej72

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3925
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess defining a player the best athlete is subjective. What defines the best athlete on a baseball team?? Most HRs? Most steals? Highest batting average??

I wouldn't hold Buck & McCarver's feet to the fire on that comment too much. It's just their opinion. It's no more factual than those national publications' opinions.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i caught that about tiger stadium being razed too. it did nothing to raise my opinion of the fox broadcasts. full of inaccuracies (tiger stadium), asinine statistics (he's 0-10 when there's a full moon and the fan in section 123 row 8 seat 9 is eating a hot dog or some such bs), and useless tidbits (he owns two toy poodles and a 69 camaro). just shut up and call the game. and that's just the beginning of my complaints...

unfortunately, i missed the pregame.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh, maybe I'm too much of a homer.

Still, is anyone else tired of the national media's tired, played out projection of Detroit?

If I see or hear one more time about the Fools who rioted in 84, I will KISS the person next to me,(or at least high-five them!)

That will F-@#P the national media, thus enableling our Tigers to concentrate on the task at hand. Rise up Detroit, Gather around our Beloved Bengles...the former Beast's from the East!

Tigers= OUR 'Beloved' Bengles.
Red Wings= Hero's of Hockeytown.
Piston's= Our Hero's of the Hardwood.
Lion's, Gridiron Gladiators; ok,(work with me
here)1 playoff win for the last 40-plus years!!!
OK, maybe we should call them the Detroit LyDowns!

Detroitej72

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harwell's piece was tasteful and well done. Fox, however, does not know how to broadcast a baseball game, they flat out suck. I think there's a direct correlation between's the WS's falling ratings and the fact that Fox is broadcasting it. How I wish NBC had it so Costas could call it. It's depressing that Fox has it until 2013.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their list of generalizations about Detroit are as wide as the Windsor River.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all need to remember Fox is NOT a SPORT STATION. It is owned and operated by Rupert Murdock, aka a "tool" for the Republican Party.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McLite....I was equally pissed. Someone had better put Harwell in a home, if he's gonna partake in that sort of junk. How come they didn't do a piece on how much the 40,000 plus fans each paid to get in?

Also, what was that stupid segment that started, "Somewhere outside Detroit?" It was just another way for them to get New York references in....

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that "Somewhere outside Detroit" segment was the dumbest segway into a baseball game I've ever seen. I really do hate Fox.

It was almost as bad as that girl that sang God Bless America.

Did anybody else notice that Fox didn't show Horton and Kaline throwing out the first pitches?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Ernie wasn't cut off by Zelasko this time.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For years I just find out what time the games start and turn the TV on at that point. I can't take all the pregame stuff, usually it's a bunch of nothing.

I think Buck and McCarver do a pretty good job.
I love the camera angles FOX usues, especially the ones from the side showing the batters swings. I also like when they talk to the managers in between innings.

My one complaint is that I could do without hearing that Verlander's favorite show is "Saved by the Bell," and other similiar useless tidbits.
Those type of segments are the kind of stuff newspapers use to fill up space. It's the WS, talk about the game.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was out to dinner at the start of the game, so I missed the report. But typing "Detroit" into http://news.google.com reveals many articles that basically say "Detroit really sucks, but I guess the Tigers are alright."

Does it make these other cities feel better about themselves to keep pounding on Detroit? It's like other cities are bullies with self esteem issues, but as long as they can rip on Detroit, everything's okay.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were some nice looking Detroit shots between the action. A weekday night would be so much brighter, though.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For example, http://www.sltrib.com/sports/c i_4532320

"...has served as a giant anti-depressant for a region decimated by the unexpected implosion of the car-making business."
Decimated? I wouldn't even come close to describing the region as decimated. Struggling is about as far as I'd go with that one.

"I don't read the paper anymore. It's all layoffs and buyouts and plant closings..."
Yes, it truly is. A big problem is that our local papers really, really suck at this. For example, Comerica beat wall street earnings estimates, as described by Crain's Detroit Business:

From: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 1019/REG/61019007/1009/breakin g

"The holding company for Comerica bank reported net income of $200 million or $1.23 a share on revenue of $1.1 billion for the quarter ending Sept. 30, compared to income of $238 million or $1.41 on revenue of $934 million for the same quarter last year"

"...It proves that the company, because of its diversity, is able to work through the challenges you see in Michigan..."

So, Crain's comes out with a headline "Comerica stock rises after earnings beat estimates". What does the Detroit News headline say about the same subject?

"Comerica earnings down from last year"

Thanks, Detroit News. Spin it into a negative headline.

While we're talking about how decimated the region is, let's look at this article, also from Crain's: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 1017/REG/61017010/1009/breakin g

"MEGA OKs $67 million in tax credits for Southeast Michigan"

"BASF Corp. is planning a $150 million project to relocate research and development, administrative and manufacturing operations to Wyandotte from Wisconsin...The project is expected to create 175 new jobs"

"...New North American headquarters in Auburn Hills, by automotive supplier Siemens VDO Automotive Corp. The project will retain 600 jobs and add 500 new jobs"

"...$22 million project by Karmann Manufacturing L.L.C. Auto supplier Karmann plans to expand its Plymouth operation, creating 375 jobs."

"...$20 million consolidation of logistics operations by Ryder System Inc. The Novi project under consideration by Ryder would create 400 jobs."

"...reopen a closed Sterling Heights plant the company acquired in 2001, according to state briefing documents. The project is expected to create up to 130 new jobs."

"...$5 million investment by Backyard Storage Solutions L.L.C...expected to create 80 jobs."

"A $10 million brownfield SBT credit, and a work plan to capture $7.2 million in state and local taxes, to move forward two downtown Detroit developments totaling nearly $113 million."

Or, what about "21st Century Jobs Fund awards $35.8 million to 24 projects", also from Crain's, http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 1016/REG/61016006/1009/breakin g

"The Michigan Strategic Fund recently approved the additional money, leading up to Monday’s SEIC board meeting...The board awarded: $20.2 million to 11 proposals involving advanced automotive materials and manufacturing; $8.9 million to seven life sciences proposals; $3.7 million to three alternative-energy proposals; and nearly $3 million to three homeland security/defense proposals."
Sounds like good news to me, but I guess I missed its coverage in the Sunday paper...

Anyways, back to the Salt Lake Tribune...

"Everybody is smiling...People [are] hurting, and people are angry. But everybody loves the Tigers."

I sure am glad that this journalist got to close like that. Because truly, Detroit really sucks, but I guess the Tigers are alright.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pregame was awful. (including Harwell's piece) I turned the sound off until the game started.
dave

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus fucking christ can you all get your teeth off the nipple long enough to understand that nobody fucking cares? If this was Atlanta or Philadelphia they were doing pre-games about none of you would give two shits_ that's how others feel about Detroit.

The World series is being played that is the relevant thing here; not this same old lame neurotic paranoia about the "natonal" media not knowing anything about Detroit.

As for the area being decimated or struggling I suppose it depends on one's outlook.I certainly would not have an argument with those that call Detroit decimated. And one can easily find media types right here in S.E. Mi that think the same_ from the free press to the news to Lessenberry in the Mt's.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Decimated? I wouldn't even come close to describing the region as decimated. Struggling is about as far as I'd go with that one."

Technically, you're right. People use that word incorrectly. To say that Detroit was "decimated" would mean it's (economy, population, etc) has been reduced to one-tenth of its original size.

Bisected, sure, but decimated? No. Not yet, anyway.

For some people, perception in reality. Some forumers need to quit crying. Visitors to the D will be quick to judge, because they can only go by what the see in front of them.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine how much better it would look if locals would pick up one piece of trash and put it where it belongs each time they went outside. (Not to mention actually putting their own trash where it belongs on a regular basis.) Once again last week I was in Chicago noticing how trash free the city is.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wth are you talking about!? When I went to Chicago last year it was dirty as hell...not to mention downtown smelled like rotten fish..

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout that rendition of "God Bless America" ??

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riiiiiiiiight Eric fan any objective minded person would easily see how Chicago is so much dirtier than Detroit........I love Detroit but is it possible to inject some reality here??????

Raggedclaws I hate that shit.I am way passed being sick of the Mariah Carey/Celine Deion imitation singing style with all the mannerisms that frankly I would not care if the person singing(whoever it is)dropped dead in the middle of it. Wtf ever happened to take me out to the ball game.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you expect, National Leaguers are calling them games.

I wanna see how they portray St. Louis on Thursday. There are plenty of rough spots there too. Detroit has no claim on ruins. If they show off St. Louis as some kinda heaven on earth, we got big problems, eh.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4431
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which Detroit Sports Bar will they use to show our fans when the games are in St. Louis?

Betcha it's in Royal Oak or Dearborn, eh.
jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 870
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing about Fox's baseball broadcast team is that Lou Pinella is no longer with them. That tub of lard was irritating. Not that the other two clowns are not.

They speaketh excessively.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 846
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You Go, Wazootyman!
later - naturalsister

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed Wazootyman, callem' all out.

Besides 24, Family Guy, The Simpsons, and American DAD all of Fox sucks and that definitely includes Fox news. But its not just fox that has these hillarious gneralizations of the city do you all remember the 2004 and 2005 nba finals on abc??

And that "G-d Bless America" rendition was terrible

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woman on the pre-game portion is so annoying, it's almost as if she is a Saturday Night Live parody of someone else. And the guy next to her, get him a haircut and make him stop screaming.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the first game at a spot in Times Square NY. I thought the pregame bit on Detroit was disgusting. At a table next to mine I heard someone say "Isn't Detroit home to all the low lifes?" Yeah...

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the fact that fox pays two lifelong Cardinal Fans to do the play by play?

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And FOX knew before the season started that the Cards would make it to the WS...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.