Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New Detroit parking meters « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know about the new meters being installed around downtown?
How much they are costing the city.
How much to remove the old ones.
Wht they are doing it.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 825
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know the answers to your questions, but these meters are a hell of alot better than the old ones. They take all types of change (not just quarters), and they will apparently start taking credit cards.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like them. They look better than the old ones and are much more reliable. I've also yet to stop at a meter that does not have time left on it!

I too am wondering when the credit card system will begin. I always thought accepting $1 bills would be most convenient...but when has convenience for customers been a priority of this city.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a consolidation of meters makes it easier to collect money from meters. Instead of having to open six, now they only need to open one. This saves the city work hours that can be better devoted to other services.

In addition it also allows for the integration of new technology. Soon these meters will be able to take credit cards, making it harder for there to be itnternal theft (One Quarter for the City, One Quarter for the collector)! Since all lawyers have credit cards there will be no 'I didn't have quarters excuses' accepted!

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've yet 2 use the meters downtown and all I can say is it's about time we got something more convenient and contemporary. Does anybody here know that there are still some parking meters left in the city where U put a quarter in and STILL get two hours? They're still here. Ex: the East English Village, and the Avenue Of Fashion still got 'em.

Mrfrench

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm still curious as to how much it cost.
seems with so many existing street-type problems to
work on, exposed electrical wires, hot steam venting
man hole covers, dangerous code violating board ups on city owned building, that changing an existing system that appeared to be working is odd.
who got the contract to supply these things
and who is doing the installations?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they are supposed to ignore one problem that needs fixing just because there are other problems. The thing is all the things you mentioned are ran by other departments or different entities entirely with completly different funding.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isnt the meter reading gig outsourced?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With new and more convenient meters there's no excuse for getting parking tickets, which means parking regulations can be more rigorously enforced, which means more revenue for the city (and, hopefully, fewer junk cars on the streets).

It might seem like a little step but if every department starts thinking that way progress will be made instead of departments being overwhelmed and frozen. Every journey starts with the first step.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best decision this city has made in years. It was a major inconvience for someone who didn't have an actual quarter to use the old meters. The credit card "coming soon" feature will probably never happen. Just an excuse to get people to think Detroit government is really on the cutting edge. Why was this feature not ready to go when they installed the meters in the first place?

Come to think of it, instead of a credit card feature, why not have it so that you can purchase a "parking meter" card like the copy cards in libraries or the parking deck cards at Wayne State, where you can put a given amount on the card and the meter simply deducts the amounts you want to use. Machines that dispense the cards could be in certain stores or businesses.

The current meters are better than the old meters but they could be improved upon. The one major gripe that I have with these meters is the fact that the mayor's father has something to do with the company that's installing these new meters. Talk about nepotism 101.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we have meter cards, don't we?
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/mu nicipalpark/metercard.htm

Lilpup

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to remember - the city would have to pay processing fees if they took credit cards. Why pay for that when the cash alternative can be forced?

Mrfrench

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, if i am understanding some of what is being said,
We are replacing meters that only took quarters, that were themselves replacing meters that took nickles, dimes and quarters, with new meter that take nickles, dimes and quarters
in an attempt to limit the amount of walking and stealing by the meter collectors, increasing the
walking for the person parking their car, and they
are being purchased from a company the mayors father owns?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mrfrench, all that and a bag of chips. Ain't Detroit great!

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I see why Detroit is getting new meters. there always is some type a family connection when it comes for something to happen here

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wow, I see why Detroit is getting new meters. there always is some type a family connection when it comes for something to happen here"

"increasing the
walking for the person parking their car, and they
are being purchased from a company the mayors father owns?"

It's also a cheap attempt to bring the city into the 21st century, although seems to be the late 20th century technology to me.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A word about taking credit cards in parking meters. If that feature is supposedly coming soon, did I miss the part where they wire all those with some sort of data cable? Because that's what is required for that to work, imo.

Mrfrench

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks,
those are the meters that are being put in after these are installed, I mean removed.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 802
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... they wire all those with some sort of data cable?

I'd think they'd be better off using wireless for something distributed like that.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 557
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be very worried about swiping credit cards through a street parking meter.

The law enforcement agencies and credit card companies are battling a huge problem with a type of fraud called 'skimming'. Many victims are targeted at the gas pump when they pay with a credit card outside. Some of these POS systems have been rigged by criminals to mine credit card numbers and other private info.

I wouldn't trust the city or its outsourced 'professionals' to secure the meters well enough.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 806
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism, that's a good point. I've heard of elaborate scams where the whole facade of an ATM was duplicated just to read those cards. Imagine how easy it would be to mount a counterfeit parking meter somewhere on the street.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was in Cincy last weekend to see the National Underground Railroad Museum. The parking kiosks on the street there took coins, dollar bills, and credit cards....

Ryo
Username: Ryo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how one suggestion of the mayor's dad having something to do with installing parking meters turns into the mayor's father owning the parking meter company. glad to see we're not impeding this amusingly slanderous game of "telephone" with any sort of facts.

The meter company is Duncan Parking Techonogies of Minnesota, run by:
http://www.duncanindustries.com/aboutus/AboutUs.html

Duncan is owned by Metapoint Partners of Massachusettes, run by:
http://www.metapoint.com/iteam.htm

The city's Automotive Parking System Division installs and maintains all street parking meters: http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/budget/2006-07_Budget/Agencies/EB06-07%20Municipal%20Parking.pdf

No mention of Papa Kilpatrick anywhere. I'm all for pointing out waste, graft & corruption, but when stuff is just made up, it distracts people from legitimate problems.

And I actually like the new meters. They're simpler than the printed-receipt systems in Toronto, and they remind me of the future-meters that were installed downtown during the filming of "The Island" :-).

"The Island" movie set parking meter

The only trouble I've ever had involved a snotty couple making fun of me for feeding a meter on a Saturday, despite being in full view of a sign indicating the Saturday meter enforcement hours. Apparently, they were too cool to pay for parking (their car was in the spot behind mine).

Hmmm... too much bitterness for my 3rd post ever?

p.s. Yay, Tigers!!

Mrfrench

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how long before they end up here

Mrfrench

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8029
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French - Any reason for half your comments or are you just trying to be a jackass?

The city is improving a service and you are bitching and trying to turn it into a scandal.

You remind me of the people that use the 'Why are the cops bothering me when the city has bigger problems' excuse when they get parking tickets, caught pissing in public, etc.

What is your real motivation here?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he probably empties the meters (betcha these new ones keep a tally of how much they've collected, too - no more skimming allowed!)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On November 1, 2006 the state of Michigan will become the 36th state to end funding of public bus service and the city of Detroit collects more money from parking fees then bus fares.

These are facts.

It is local property taxes that pay the entire cost to operate SMART and DDOT according to new guidelines to qualify for state grants.

Majority rules.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bus pass and registration CHICKEN FUCKER

Mrfrench

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1-

I never try, it just happens some time.

And I am sorry if I brought up memories of people
caught pissing in public to you.

Yuck!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also think the new meters are good. I had a discussion witha friend of mine as they were going in around WSU. We had noticed a big parking enforcement van driving around with antanae on it. I believe this van can remotely check to see if there are any expired meters or if any are full of money. This would save time and manpower but I'm just speculating. Also I've noticed a rash of cars being picked up and towed away after being booted... mre than normal at least so I guess they must be putting those extra man hours somewhere. I saw a shiney white crossfire get picked up on second and cass after getting the boot just hours before.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.