Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ::: Upcoming Elections Mega Thread ::: » Is the Governorship worth $30,000,000? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3953
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After catching another afternoon of DeVos-Granholm ads appealing for my attention of who will bring employment and economic prosperity to our woeful State. It occured to me the amount of money spent on this campaign is staggering.

Just imagine how that amount of money might have been used to start businesses that actually employ more than just one Governor.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been estimated that DeVos has spent at least $16 million of his own on his campaign. What kind of return is he looking for?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His return is trying to get taxes lowered so his business interests can cash in. He may not be Amway president anymore, but he does still own a significant stake in the company, not to mention his current venture called Windquest, which makes office organizers. I would imagine he is just trying to make it so his investments make him more money.

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bullshit

Jams

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And where has Jenny's 14 million come from and what's the payback there?

Or who and how will Stabenow payback for the 6 million she has to spend?

It's no wonder the state of Michigan is in such lousy shape, complete idiots in charge, voted in by complete idiots.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8030
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's no wonder the state of Michigan is in such lousy shape, complete idiots in charge, voted in by complete idiots.

Please list your credentials that make you one of the intellectual elites of Michigan.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please list your credentials that make you one of the intellectual elites of Michigan."

I didn't vote for Bush, I refuse to vote for Stabenow.

I really don't want to vote for Devos but Jenny and her refusal to repeal the small business tax is baffling. She claims there will be no replacement for the taxes collected. How will she collect taxes from all the small businesses that aren't in business anymore?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well she's going to let it expire...

"She is correct to insist that the budget be kept whole once the Single Business Tax expires and right to ask why Republicans have made such an issue of the SBT now when they didn't do anything but expand its loopholes during the decade the GOP had all the power to abolish the tax."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061022/OPI NION01/610220506/1068

Jams

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$30,000,000 divided by $177,000 (last figure for Governor's salary I found on internet) will require almost 17 years to make the break-even point, dividing that by half, (not taking sides here) it will take 8 1/2 years to recoup the money spent for achieving a 4 year term in terms of salary alone.

Does anyone else find this crazy?

Quinn

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

~$20,000,000 to buy an election to increase chances in a Presidential Election and, say, cut the price of the presidency down by a cool $20,000,000 in 2 or 6 years doesn't sound crazy.

Another way to say it: Spend $20,000,000 now or later...what's the difference. The clout of Governor to win the Presidency is worth it. He's gotta hold some political office before becoming president...like his friend Bushy.

I wonder how the Bush Dynasty Coffers have increased since Bush 1 and 2 have served...it's a lucrative thing.

At least we know Jenny isn't going to run for President hahahahahahah.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10791
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where as Granholm's interest is to see how high she can get the unemployment in this state?

Quinn

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...just like the governor before her. They both had plans to destroy the State...according to your inane theory and line of thought.

Jams

Post Number: 4031
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The two candidates' campaigns paid out more than $26 million for TV ads alone through September and that is likely to balloon to more than $40 million when figures for October are tabulated, said Rich Robinson, who heads the Michigan Campaign Finance Network watchdog group.

"When I looked at the money DeVos has given his campaign, I was blown away," Robinson said. "The amount of money being spent on this race is obscene. I think most people are tired of it, and the campaigns' marketing efforts are major disappointments to most people because each side is trying to make the other side's supporters stay home."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20061028/POLIT ICS01/610280385

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it was reported that he has already purchased the devosforpresident.com website. So that could be one reason why he is sinking so much money into this race.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.