Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Drunk Tiger fans stealing my street signs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caught a couple in the act last night at the corner on Antietam and Rivard right where I live. I yelled at them to stop from my car but of course they didn't. I would have gotten out of the car and approached them if it wasn't for of course my drunk friend who I was trying to get to a bathroom ASAP.

Anyway, who should I call to get them replaced (crossing my fingers)? Who could I have called if I was catching them in the act?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you know they were drunk Tiger fans?

Cmubryan

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Unless they were posing, they were exhibiting all the signs of intoxication (the biggest of course climbing on eachother to steal the signs) while wearing their tigers gear.

I would gather to say that they were suburbanites thinking that they were cool and bad stealing signs from scary Detroit but then again a lot people would stereotype me as a suburbanite when I am not anymore.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5923
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Windsor, I would call the Public Works department. If the COD has a PW dept., I would start there.

Good luck.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3931
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So which drunks are you more cursing at? The one in your car or the ones out in the streets??

Just call the public works people and hopefully they'll be out to replace the signs. As far as I'm concerned, if you had the time and a cell phone I might've called the cops on them. I'm not saying they would've responded in time but at least you might have felt as though you did something about it.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 727
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's unfortunate how drunk some fans get. Puking in the seats, ruining the game for everyone around them...saw alot of really drunk people out Saturday night. Near lawless-ness at Coach's Corner without a peep of any sort of security. All the cops you could ever have with none around.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 310
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok-I'll look up their number on the city website. Thanks.

Yes, at least I was stopping the drunk in my car from causing any trouble unlike those idiots who I'm sure got in their car and drove home.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7027
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would Tiger fans be interested in "Antietam" signs. I could understand if you lived on "SaintLouissucks" or something.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm, arent they the city's street signs?

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the same thing itsjeff! I live on Antietam and have never tried to steal the sign!!! Of course I'm not drunk...right now.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't drunken sports tourists fun? Where are the Dream Cruise apologists to excuse the lighthearted hijinks of the fun-lovin' Tiger fans?

go Tigers.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why would Tiger fans be interested in "Antietam" signs. I could understand if you lived on "SaintLouissucks" or something."

Antietam was a great Northern victory in the Civil War, the turning point of the war. Since we are the northern team and ...

...Nah, that's too deep for a couple of drunks, they probably thought it was related to Eat 'me Tigers.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoulda had your friend that you were rushing to the bathroom get out and take a leak on thier ankles while they were trying to purloin that city property.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4433
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City street signs are quite high. Did they have a ladder in the Hummer? Oy, drunks climbing ladders using implements of mass detruction.

Top ten signs they want.

Busch Blvd.
La Russa Cruisa.
Cardinal Lane.
Redbird Rd.
Lindell Blvd.
Metralink Way.
Missouri Ave.
National (sorry, now named Cochrane.)
Cobb St.
Musial St. in Hamtramck.

jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3153
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^And, jjaba, if they are drunk enough they will probably confuse Schoenherr for Schoendienst.

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, the traffic engineering dept handles crap like this....had to deal with them before to get some stuff done. Public Works is more for roads and sidewalk repairs.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll want to call DPW's Traffic Engineering Dept. Here's the info from the city's website:

"Damaged or Missing Traffic Control and Parking Control Signs

To report damaged or missing traffic control and parking control signs (stop signs, yield signs, and Do Not Enter signs, etc.), contact the DPW Sign Shop at (313) 578-7800. Business hours are 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday – Friday

Individuals also may call the 311 Call Center at 311 or (313) 224-INFO (4636)."

I wouldn't advise calling 311, it will take forever to get someone on the line.

As far as getting a new street sign, plan on it taking a while. Someone stole the sign from the corner of my street about 2 years ago. It took the city 6 months to install a new one and that was after calling regularly (every few weeks).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mean time, photoshop it? Civic-minded guerrilla activism might help. I.e. fix it yourself, however crudely. It can only improve the situation. :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on October 23, 2006)

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can they steal a street sign? They rivet, glue, weld, nut and bolt with the bolt thread mangled with a hammer. You'd need a cutting torch to get them.

I can see wrapping a chain around the post and pulling it out of the ground and then take it home for further work. Is that what they do?

Jeffery47
Username: Jeffery47

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be fun to hook up some electricity to the sign and the post, so that when someone grabed both - ZAP!

Kinda like Invisible Fence for signs.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10784
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Aren't drunken sports tourists fun? Where are the Dream Cruise apologists to excuse the lighthearted hijinks of the fun-lovin' Tiger fans?

Seriously, how can you even begin to bring your one week of inconvenience into the mix? As I stated during Dream Cruise, we deal with this shit 365 days a year down here, a good number of which are caused by people who don't live here. So once again, cry me a fuckin' river over your 1 week of Dream Cruise.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell said:

quote:

They probably thought it was related to Eat 'me Tigers.

Must have been Saint Louis Fans then. :-)

Cmubryan

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(313) 578-7800-is out of service. Called 311 and they told me to call the police to report them stolen but I then asked how would I get them replaced so the operator took down the info to make a report (have no idea where this report goes).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.