Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Listening to the '68 Series in Vietnam... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious if there are many other Tigers fans who found themselves listening to the '68 Series on Armed Forces Radio in Vietnam. I was in Marine Corps village unit called a Combined Action Platoon in Quang Ngai province south of the Chu Lai airfield in '68 when the Tigers were playing the Cardinals in the Series. They played day games then, which meant the games came on around 0200 over there.

On a wood beam above a bunker entrance I placed a bumpersticker that read "Sock it to 'em, Tigers."

Whenever the '68 Series comes up I sometimes point out that I was in the Real World Series. Yanks vs. Reds.

Hopefully this Series will rival the '68 match up in terms of drama and go at least six games.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, Dow Chemical will not sell any Agent Orange, and Robert Macnamara will not admit that this series was a mistake two decades later.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that Rumsfeldmarshal has been imploying his anti-global warming devices which are putting a chill on the World Series. Also, there is a spin-off from the Michigan affirmative action proposal to bring more minorities into Comerica Park, something called Project 100,000.

And don't forget, Agent Orange is the Kool Aid flavor of the month in Detroit.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_publican, God Bless you and all the Tiger fans in Iraq.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto, I did notice Dow was prominently advertised behind home plate of Game 2. Eerie, huh?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.