Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit Grand Opening « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oct. 26th...the 10 year plan seems really interesting, Im excited for the facade improvements

http://modeldmedia.com/feature s/mocad67.aspx
http://www.mocadetroit.org/

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to make it to this opening but Im not sure if $135-$55 is exactly a student budget for an art opening. Has there been more talk on the board about MOCAD? I dont recall seeing any. Are there plans to do something with the fascade? The buidling is really unatteactive from the outside.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 944
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you show up later the cost drops to 10 bucks. No excuses!

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 9:30 they start charging $10 to get in.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

October 26th, 2006
CELEBRATE THE GALA OPENING OF MOCAD

Patrons Preview 6 PM Food and drinks.
Tour the "Meditations In An Emergency" exhibition with curator Klaus Kertess. Experience live performances and meet some of the featured artists.
Contribution $125 per person advance
$135 at the door

Museum Preview 8 PM Hors d’oeuvres, cash bar.
Experience live performances and meet some of the featured artists.
Contribution $45 per person advance
$55 at the door

Ambient music during the preview hours by Clark Warner, Minus.

Afterparty, 9:30 PM
Ghostly International presents DJ’s Matthew Dear and Ryan Elliott (Spectral Sound) from 10-1 AM, cash bar.
Contribution $10 per person

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very excited we are getting our own comtemporary art museum in Detroit. There is such a history of great artists from Detroit it is something we really need. Another thing to help draw people to our city and make Woodward shine even more.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should be a good time.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 24, 2006)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with the ten dollar crowd.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt see that. Yeah 10 is do able. They were doing something out front today on a cherry picker as I drove by but didnt get a good look can someone clue me in?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8037
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea if the outside will see any improvements?

Stecks77

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A artist by the name of Barry McGee from San Fran was supposeed to do a large mural on the side of the museum for the opening exhibition. This might be what the cherry picker out front is for but I haven't driven by there lately so I'm assuming that may be what is going on?

I'll check it out after work.

As for facade improvements, they will be made when the funds are slowly acquired via fundraising. It could be awhile.

The Barry McGee mural will be a nice touch and will draw attention to a fairly anonymous looking building.

For anyone who may be interested this is a good link for basic information on Barry McGee.

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artis ts/mcgee/index.html

Apbest

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, I remember seeing a rendering for exterior improvements that showed like really modern looking white awning sort of things and new facade...I've looked around modeld and ucca website but I cant seem to find it, and I dont remember where I saw it

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a small rendering of the outside on the membership page:

http://www.mocadetroit.org/mem bership.html

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could also go to Andrew Zago's website to see the renderings.

http://www.zagoarchitecture.co m/

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any idea if the outside will see any improvements?

They're doing a large mural on the side of the building right now. It looks kinda cool

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the outside of the building really conceals the enormity of the space inside.

Tetsua

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the new outer facade of the building is going to get much criticism, but I kinda like it. I'll post a camera phone image later.

Tetsua

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check it out

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which wall is getting the mural? (I'm out of town currently, otherwise I'd just look out my office window ;-) )

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zephyr -- the woodward facade has the mural.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isnt that called graffiti?

Tetsua

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note the guy hanging off the building in the upper center part of the picture. I thought that was kinda cool.

Apbest

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that complete?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 855
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like it, it really stands out on the street, the only thing is that it most likely will be percieved as vandalism by those who don't know what it is

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i call it tagging.
i caught the artist/culprit, in action.dare devil

Mrfrench

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i call this graffitigraffiti

Mdoyle

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Isnt that called graffiti?"

Graffiti is actually recognized as its own art movement that spanned the late seventies until the early nineties. So is it graffiti? yes but is also art and the person has permission. I believe as a museum of contemporary art MOCAD is going to exhibit a wide range of artwork from low brow and street art to highly reknowned modern artists. I also believe the person comissioned to do the mural is well known in the 'scene'... or so my friends tell me. All this being said I think that almost ANYTHING is an improvement over what that building looks like.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 861
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hells yeah

Tetsua

Post Number: 833
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture of opening night, from my living room window.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tremendous party! And a great space.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A tremendous party! And a great space.

indeed!
a good time was had by all

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope The Museum of Contemporary Art; Detroit becomes wildly successful and, like its’ counterpart in Chicago, builds its own building. I know just the spot for it, the Ford Auditorium site. A cool Frank Gehry design would look great there.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone but Frank Gehry, please.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that big mural (sans the dummy) looks like a modern abstract version of the 1970's "Keep on Truckin'" image, as seen on the Broadway Mural thread.

I agree with Frank Gehry, if other cities can have a Gehry, why can't we?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was a great party,

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't hold your breath for a new building for the MOCAD, let alone a Gehry. They seem to have a very realistic plan for this space, especially given their non profit status and the local economy. Plus they are not currently planning on having a permanent collection, so there is no need for larger permanent galleries.

I think it will be great the way it is planned. No need to speculate on everything it "could" be until it's established, eh?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who needs fancy new buildings? Start simple and humble. I like the reuse of an old auto showroom. It kinda meshes with the whole idea of taking something old and broken and making into something better; a process used by lots of people here in the creative community.
Anyway, it was a great party. They have lots of space to work with.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about getting rid of the graffiti on the side?

Stecks77

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote*

"How about getting rid of the graffiti on the side?"

1953: Some people like yourself will just never except graffiti as an art form no matter what case is made for it. In the case of MOCAD I guess we can forget about the context of where it was created, why it was done, whatever.

Trying to get people to understand this distinction is a lost cause.

I'm not trying to say that all forms of graffiti are acceptable and some of it aesthetically is just plain bad. Is the MOCAD graffiti the most stunning piece I've seen? Unfortunately not, its actually pretty boring but it will certainly grab people's attention to the presence of MOCAD and that's all that matters.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a fan of graffiti art and am usually dismayed by the fact that people can't understand it's worth, but that mural is horrible. In my opinion it justifies people's aversion to it and insistence upon calling it vandalism. The bubble letter theme is as rudimentary as it gets and there are far better examples on both legal and illegal walls all over the city. It's a real shame that a wall with such high visibility was done by a vandal and not an artist. Where were Fel 3000, Army or Fosek when we needed them?

Stecks77

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulhawk: The mural on the side of MOCAD was created by an artist and not a vandal. His name is Barry Mcgee and his graffiti street name is Twist. His work has been shown in countless galleries and museum exhibits around the world. Here is a link that is fairly representable of his work.

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/mcgee/index.html

If you look at his work you'll notice that the piece he did for MOCAD is very mundane compared to what he normally does. This may be due in part to the fact that I heard he showed up late prior to the opening, but I'm not sure about that.

McGee has been seen by some other graffiti artists to be a sell out because he works within the contemporary art world while others despise it. He's considered fairly hip and a recognizable name to the art world so that is why he was probably chosen.

The figure shown above in some of the pictures which appears to be the artist in action is not the artist. Its actually a dummy with its arm moving back and fourth. That element is also pretty lame.

(Message edited by stecks77 on October 29, 2006)

(Message edited by stecks77 on October 29, 2006)

Mrfrench

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was kidding about it being the "artist" in action.

der

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few comments ...

The graffiti on the building is meant to be temporary, and let's face it, how many of you even noticed this building before it was painted like that? I thought it was a very good short-term fix for an ugly building.

As for the inside ... those Pewabic floors are amazingly beautiful, not so much because they are Pewabic, but because of the expansiveness of the installation.

I'm happy to see the museum open and going. Great for Detroit as a city.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will you take us there? :-)

Tetsua

Post Number: 839
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When will this be open to the public?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from here: http://www.mocadetroit.org/

quote:

Museum Hours
W & Su: 12-6 pm
Th - Sa:12-8 pm
closed Monday

admission is free

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.