Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Voice of Safety 1936 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was checking out some videos on youtube and came across this one about a police car that drove around Detroit with a big loudspeaker on top warning motorists and pedestrians about traffic violations that they were committing. Its pretty funny, but is this for real?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xeECpiNkZLA

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 877
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure it was. Here's an earlier version, parked in front of 1300 Beaubien. That's a 1926 license plate on the car, so that pins down the year pretty well.
car

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting clip. I suggest that we bring back that voice of safety for those folks that don't use their turn signals (lol).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 830
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stryker81, welcome!

I have no doubt that it was real. It's funny how the people in those old films have no idea how dorky they'll seem years later. Heck, I may be making that same mistake as I type now! :-)

Don't CB radios have an optional PA feature? It serves the same purpose but without the need for that big honkin' roof-mounted speaker.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, good lookin', we'll be back to pick you up later!

Jimaz

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA! The kid in that commercial was the dorkiest of them all. World's worst pickup line!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3978
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tear came to my eye as the car passed the Kinsels Bldg.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8040
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't CB radios have an optional PA feature? It serves the same purpose but without the need for that big honkin' roof-mounted speaker.

Yes, the police have availability of loud speakers in cars. I don't know if it is all or some but I have heard a few cops trying to be funny while directing traffic.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, yes, regular CB radios have an optional PA feature. However, you have to go out and buy the horn seperately and then find a place to mount the sucker. Most people put it somewhere in the engine compartment (if they have enough room) and route the wire from the CB through the firewall grommet.

I personally would like to put one of those LED scrolling signs in my back window. Then preprogram buttons to scroll things like "get off my ass" or "turn off your brights" or "hey baby, what's shakin?"

Jimaz

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or in the front window, scrolling a mirror image of the message. :-)

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks: this might work for you.
http://www.streettags.com/Mobile_LED_Scrolling_Digital_Display_p/stz-550-md.htm

Jimaz

Post Number: 837
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might want to ask your local police about that before buying it. I heard about some law or ordinance about a ban on additional lighting on cars. Not sure what jurisdictions are affected.

The story was that people with those pizza delivery signs had to pull the plug on the light.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you can't show a blue, green, or red light to the front, and you can't show (display, as they say) a blue or green light to the rear. You also can't operate a white light to the rear except backup lights when backing only.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome Jimaz, and to everyone who replied.... Another thing I found interesting about this video is how it showed the steets downtown so busy and active. Its nice to see how lively and full of life the city once was back in its heyday.

Jimaz

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yvmw, Stryker81. I love those old films. That lively city life reminds me of the boom days of the internet. It's interesting how our promising fortunes and naiveté so often cohabitate the same timeframe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.