Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Since when did detroit get an Asian town? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this today on

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/asvillage66.aspx

I have recently moved to Charlotte, but I was still in the D when this parking deck was almost done next to the Ren Cen on Atwater and didn't hear any plans for it then.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7031
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was in the papers, Charlotte. And discussed quite a bit on this board.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the board, Charlotte!

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incidentally, they didn't get an Asian Town. What they got is a parking structure with some Asian themed restaurants.

Before I get slammed, yes, yes, I know, anything is better than nothing. And I agree (partly). But, I lived in SF for a few years, and well, Chinatown will always be a measuring stick for me when it comes to “Asian” themed neighborhoods.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear Borat is going to build Kazakh Town in Detroit. It's supposed to be a big tourist draw.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Niiiiice!
borat

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dandindc--Borat--here? sweet!

U S and A!

U S and A!

U S and A!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5107
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH!! A psuedo Chinatown in Downtown Detroit. It's nothing about Asian letters with the Roman Alphabet all over.

Danindc

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

HAH!! A psuedo Chinatown in Downtown Detroit. It's nothing about Asian letters with the Roman Alphabet all over.

Well, then it's not much different than what Chinatown in DC has become.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard a couple of presentations from the developers of this project. It seems like a very promising and creative development. The business plan is not dependent on all kinds of public money, which is great. If the planned restaurant operations are executed properly, it seems that the place could become a successful destination spot and moneymaker.

But please, what is with the stupid name, Asian Town. The developers got very creative with the concept but apparently only consulted with some third graders when it came to a name. I think that the different restaurants will have individual names, but they should lose Asian Town for the whole project immediately.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8921
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? You don't like Moo Shoo with exhaust fumes! For shame, that is an excellent dish; And only for $5.99!

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we have the Dragon Boats races once a year, we have an authentic Chinatown!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3977
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest word, opening maybe January.

Danindc

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then we have sexy time.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to make a liquid explosion in her!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 849
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in my country we put horse above woman

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortune Cookie say this project is idiotic and insulting. The only part that makes sense is the parking.

Danindc

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if the parking is landscaped with bamboo shoots and lighted with Chinese lanterns.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just a collection of like-type businesses under one roof, right? I don't think that they were trying to create a new Asian neighborhood or district in Detroit. I thought that the name of that clustering was Asian Village, not Asian Town. If it naturally expands and an area develops, so be it. They can call it whatever they want. The name seems pretty clear about what's to be found inside the building. Would "Asian Village and Multi-Ethnic Parking" be better?

Danindc

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Multi-Ethnic Parking, Asian Village, Drycleaner and Carry-Out"

Much better.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Courtesy of Dictionary.com (if you want to be a stickler about the name of the development)

Village

1. a small community or group of houses in a rural area, larger than a hamlet and usually smaller than a town, and sometimes (as in parts of the U.S.) incorporated as a municipality.

2. the inhabitants of such a community collectively.

3. a group of animal dwellings resembling a village: a gopher village. –adjective

4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a village: village life.

Asian Village is not rural, a community, or a group of animals.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3989
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Christ sakes, it's another restaurant in downtown.

Support it or don't, I appreciate the unusual location, but so many on this forum want street level retail for parking structures.

Chinatown has moved from Cass Ave. to Madison Hgts and Troy, Hamtramck is no longer a Polish enclave, nor is Delray home to Hungarian society.

What the Hell do you want? A stagnant culture available at your convenience? The only way any business will survive anywhere is patronage day-to-day.

I'd love to have that place on the corner of Columbia and Park serve me those wonderful poached eggs on wheat toast again, but I moved away as well as many others, and when I moved back they were gone.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither are English Village, Indian Village, etc. rural nor a group of animals. What's so wrong with trying to ascribe the properties of a community to these places and other new places?

Also, I see no mention of a name change to "Asian Town".

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Previous poster is correct, "Detroit"'s asiatown is Troy. City of 80k, according to census figures it is 15% to 20% asian.

It plays out in the life in that suburb. Last year one Troy Middle School had 15 players on their 8th grade football team, but had 105 kids on their Math team..

None of this is for the better.. or worse.. it is just what is going on..

Lcr
Username: Lcr

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just curious, what is SF's Asian Themed neighborbood like?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SF has Chinatown and Japan town. China town is incredible. It's like being in China. The streets are packed with Asians and the stores are, let's just say very authentic. It's busy, filthy, crowded and facsinating.

Japan town is like I think Geary and a couple blocks west of Van Ness. It's totally artificial and cheesy and looks like it was built in the 1960s or 1970s. There's a big multiplex theatre. It doesn't seem to attract tourist or have an unusual concentration of Japanese people.

Actually, the whole city is in some respects becoming a giant China town, especially the western half. I'm just guessing, but I'd say 35% of the city is Asian. But unlike China town, the Asian populations in the rest of the city seem to live like other Americans. China town really feels like you're not in the US.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4586
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lcr, SF Chinatown is great, and I'm sure quite a few people would take offense to called it a "themed neighborhood" as the thing is incredibly organic and authentic. Like most cities, the label for the area came after neighborhood was well-established. I think it's the largest Chinatown in the country. Let me tell you, it's certainly and experience.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.