Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Info on old Detroit Bar "Snow Owl" or "Schnee Eule" needed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather who worked 2nd shift at the Chrysler Mack plant used to go to a German Bar called the "Schnee Eule" or "Snow Owl" after work. This was sometime in the 50s/60s. Does anyone have info on where in Detroit this might have been?

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE SNOW OWL USED TO BE ON GRATIOT BELOW SIX MILE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT USED TO BE A TOPLESS BAR. BUT I DON'T KNOW OF THE SECOND NAME OR THE LOCATION OF THAT BAR.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmm Jeff?

Please hit the Caps lock key....

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "second name" is simply German for "Snow Owl"

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So jeff, your saying its where that "clinic is at on the SW corner of the intersection or is it s. of McNichols on Gratiot.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was on Gratiot, south of McNichols

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2890
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12241 Gratiot

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikem. According to Google, 12241 Gratiot is the "Dyer's Too Lounge." Is this the same building that was the Schnee Eule or a new building on the lot? I'd like to swing by and take a photo of it if it is the actual place.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know; I found a "Snow Owl" bar at 12241 Gratiot in a 1961 phone book.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As bad as this sounds my mom used to work at another bar on Gratiot. It was either called My Place Lounge, or Our Place Lounge. but she had friends that Worked at the Snow Owl that she would make last call at.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.