Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » National theater « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any new news on this great theater? I know it had been said that there was work on it. Anything new going on with it? Other than speculation? Would love an update!
THANKS

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are really doing an extensive job on the front of the building. It looks good so far. Let's hope the inside will be restored just as nicely.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awsome!!! Thanks for the update. Anyone got any more definitive news?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard plans for the inside yet? When I was helping Preservation Wayne clean out the inside back in 2000, whe must have carted off about 10 tons of fallen plaster.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought a dinner serving theater would be great downtown. Think how great it would be to have dinner with live music, followed by stand up comedy or a small production.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has such a theater. It's called the Gem/Century Theater. The dinner is very good and the shows they have are really very entertaining.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, and we'd better only have one!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could try to revive Vaudeville or Burlesque. Or better yet, it could be the ultimate karaoke bar. People love to see other people make fools of themselves. It could be called “The Gong Show Theater” and the audience would get to vote for the best/worst acts.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on October 27, 2006)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not know that about the Gem. I'm going to have to check it out!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gem Theatre has 453 seats, while the Century Theatre next door has about 200 seats. The National is larger, and can hold about 1000 seats (less if there's cabaret style seating).

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "renovation" of the National Theatre has been anything but "extensive".....that scaffolding has been up for nearly a year.....they cleaned the front of the building with soap and water...and that was it.....they installed a roll-up door in the side of the building.....and tore a few things out....that's the extent of it.....haven't seen anyone there in some time.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some workers coming out of the side door just last night.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10805
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen workers there most every time I've been downtown over the past month. Gamblingman needs to lay off the sauce.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.