Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Sam's Ferndale Grill « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The aforementioned greasy spoon is back in business, having re-opened Monday after a long absence following a fire. The waitress I had today said the fire was traced to a fauly hot-water heater. The place was razed and completely rebuilt.

Inevitably, I suppose, the new building lacks the tacky charm and lived-in comfort of the old digs. Also gone is the taxi cab-yellow exterior in favor of a brick and cinderblock frame.

The breakfast food is still good, even if they messed up my farmer's omelet the first time, and service is efficient and personable, as it should be at a diner. I couldn't shake the impression that they went for a kind of polished, almost corporate look, however, that evokes the Original Pancake House further up Woodward or even a Big Boy or IHOP.

Still, a most welcome return to the underserved Woodward corridor (car dealershipland) near 8 Mile.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in Pleasant Ridge. I believe I used to eat at Sam's. Where is it located, again? I forget. I do remember there being a fire.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to eat there every weekend...it is on Woodward just north of 8 mile, next door to that most American drive thru, WHITE CASTLE!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.