Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit tigers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wkime
Username: Wkime

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

curse of the corner with a dumd a-- manager leaving rogers in the dugout.loliich pitched 3 games. this is the world series.....

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stop it...should have could have would have, don't start armchair managering already. blame the errors on the players.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed with Adamjab19. We've trusted Leyland this far and now you with your few meager posts shred him?

The least you could have done was spell "dumb" right too- showing your ignorance.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leyland was the reason they got this far in the first place. He's one of the best minds in all of baseball.

I'd wax poetic about how great this season was, but it's just too painful right now...

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, but at the same time, its not like Rogers could've pitched games 5,6, & 7...

The pitching itself wasn't terrible, the pticher's fielding however was. That and the Tiger bats were DEAD.

Oh well, if there's any team in MLB i wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers lose to, its the Cards. Easily the most knowledgeable fan-base in pro sports...

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 465
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit fans are more knowledgeable, but anyways...

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give credit where credit is due ..... St. Louis Cardinals played almost perfect games in every department - pitching, batting and fielding.

Thank you, Detroit Tigers, for a terrific season. Jim Leyland brought us to this stage, and doesn't deserve to be egged.

If there is a need to point fingers, #1 blame the pitchers for all the shameful errors, and #2 blame the batting.

At any rate, let's return to this stage next season, boys.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their lack of hitting was the problem and not who was on the mound.

That being said I think you have to go with your best pitcher in a must win game and that's Rogers.
23 scoreless innings with ample rest and they put a 23 year old rookie in a must win game on the road? Strange decision in my opinion.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job Tigers! Who would have thought two years ago we would even get this far this quickly. Opening day is April 2. Let's go Tigers!!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 3959
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange decision? We've gone with Leyland's intuition this far. I think Leyland's decision making was also based upon trusting his young pitcher, Verlander too. Why shatter his confidence now? Leyland was probably banking that his hitters would've come to life as well so let's not hang the entire team's demise on this choice.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had to win all 3 games anyways, it didn't matter what order they came in. Rogers would have performed much better in front of the Comerica crowd anyways.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cardinals have my respect. They out played us plain and simple.
Leyland is a class manager. I hope he comes back next year.
With the young pitching staff we had this year, next year will be outstanding. Watch out Yankees.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a terrible disappointment tonight but hell, you have to look at the upside, AL champs,,beat the Yanks and The As,, who would have thunk,
Team just played lousy this series, St. Louis deserved to win,,, as for playing Rogers tonight, no way, not with the fan reaction in St. Louis, would have been way to cruel,, Hats off to Leland and the guys for the rest of the season though,, was a DARN good one,, the best we have had in ages

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not like they came away with nothing. Having a pennant used to be a point of pride. Let's remember that.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3963
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One pennant yes. Still one pennant short, but we have a solid foundation with our young arms coming through. The only tough part is that we can no longer considered a surprise. I think next season is going to be tough as most teams will be up to playing us tougher and the scouts will have done their jobs on the youngsters.

But given that, I'm going to be optimistic for next season. Considering what this team has gone through and given us, I couldn't be happier.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think they need to find some more power from the left side for next year.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 876
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep in mind the team is practically rookies

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope they sign Casey,, this guy definetly gets it,,

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all i have to say is Major League 2

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, I agree whole-heartedly. Why have a rookie pitcher in a must win situation when you have a veteran pitcher in Kenny Rogers who is hot. Who cares how the St. Louis fans would respond to him? Knowing Kenny Rogers, he would have just fed off of the hostile crowd.

The bottom line here is that Leyland was too prideful and over confident is his decision to go with Verlander in Game 5, instead of going with Kenny Rogers. There is no Game 6 if you don't win Game 5. You do everything and anything legal to win Game 5. How devastated would Verlander have been if he was bumped from Game 5, we won Game 5, and Verlander pitched but lost Game 6? He probably wouldn't be as devastated as he is now.

We will never know how many more scoreless innings Kenny Rogers could have pitched. The Tigers won't be back in the World Series anytime soon, and Kenny Rogers will retire before he has a chance to get back to a World Series with the Tigers. That's what hurts me most from this Game 5 loss.

BTW, Brandon Inge proved to me that he can't handle the pressure of the big dance. He had two errors and struck out with two men on base that could have given the Tigers a lead in the ninth inning of Game 5. He needs to go.

(Message edited by royce on October 30, 2006)

(Message edited by royce on October 30, 2006)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 840
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if Leyland used Rogers in game 5, he'd have to use Verlander, or another young picture in game 6. There's a chance he wanted to save veteran Rogers for game 7 in the series. Only problem is they never got there.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, same old same old for some of you guys.

Inge batted .353 in the World Series, and Royce says he needs to go. Okay.

Royce says the Tigers won't be back in the World Series anytime soon. Thanks for that, I guess now that I know the future, I won't bother considering their talent, growing maturity, or coaching.

Some people are just ridiculous. Same old same old in this town. Why don't you go fucking complain about the Lions or something. But no, you've probably got season tickets to that circus act just like everyone else.

Royce

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focusonthed, I gave up on the Lions a long time ago. The Tigers I still believed in. However, there were eight errors committed by the Tigers, five by Tiger pitchers and three by Brandon Inge, and on a few of those wild throws to third Inge fell down when another player might have been able to get to them. He also cut off a ball that was headed home to stop the go ahead run. Instead of letting it reach home plate, Inge cut it off, settling for the out but giving up the run. I have to question a player that makes that kind of decision.

BTW, Inge strikes out with two runners on base in the ninth. He also struck out during the last game of the season against KC with the bases loaded in the eighth. All he had to do was put the ball into play and he couldn't do that. Some players can handle the pressure of the big game others can't. Sorry, but Inge belongs in the latter group.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3965
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, on that play where Inge cut the ball off coming towards home- that's a call on Pudge's part. He has the option to call the cut or not- it's not Brandon Inge's fault on that one. If Pudge thinks he has a shot at home, he doesn't say anything- if he thinks it's hopeless at home, he'll call for the cut-off man (Inge) to snag it and keep the other base runners at bay.

As far as some of those other defensive plays where there were errors, I can't exactly fault him entirely on those either because some were "aggressive" errors. Inge, at least HAS the ability to make a play whereas a lesser ranging third baseman might not even have a chance.

As far as Inge's timing with the bat- that's another issue altogether and I can see the relevance there. Average wise, I thought he was fine but sometimes timing can snakebite a guy.

Now if we were to replace him, I can't think of anyone coming up or even anyone else that can be as strong defensively and still stroke in 27 HRs during the season.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question- why no parade or rally or anything for the Tigers?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No parades for runners-up, Pam--that's the rules.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inge fell down because he tried to change direction while running because the throws were behind him. Dunno how you can fault him for that, unless you're an Inge-hater from the start. Oh wait.

Royce

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the balls were behind him, but if he was more under control while charging the base, he might have had a chance to at least catch them. The runner would have been safe but he would not have scored. I know he wasn't at fault. I'm just saying that someone else might have been able to get to those balls because they weren't so anxious. Inge was anxious.

I don't hate the guy. I can just tell that he was nervous and it showed throughout his play.

BTW, Inge may have batted .353 for the World Series, but he did not bat over .300 for the playoffs. He swung at a lot of first pitches and did not work the pitcher in many at bats.

(Message edited by royce on October 31, 2006)

Focusonthed

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, I like Inge. I have to admire someone that came through what he's been through with this program, and has become the third baseman he is today (after being a poor catcher who batted below .200).

However, if they can bring someone in (within reason) who is better, I say go for it. But I'm not going to railroad him out of town.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2895
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cardinals Apologize For Winning World Series
November 2, 2006
ST. LOUIS—Calling Friday night's victory on baseball's grandest stage "a terrible mistake," members of the St. Louis Cardinals issued a formal apology for making the playoffs, winning the World Series, and depriving baseball fans everywhere of a season featuring the kind of heartwarming, storybook ending to which they have grown accustomed in recent years.

"I'm still struggling to understand how this could have happened," said a sober Tony La Russa during a press conference following Game 5. "It seemed all but certain coming into this series that we were going to be a part of something truly special, that we would easily put the finishing touches on a magical season that inspired millions of fans around the country, but instead we somehow ended up winning."

"It's disappointing, to say the least," La Russa added. "We were rooting for the Detroit Tigers just like everyone else."

According to Cardinals players, they "tried absolutely everything" in their pursuit to earn the Tigers their first world championship since 1984, including eliminating the far more dangerous New York Mets in the NLCS, entering the series completely unrested after a grueling seven-game series, starting a rookie pitcher with five career wins in Game 1 in Detroit, and postponing Game 4 due to rain in the hopes that an off day would swing the momentum back in the Tigers' favor.

"I don't know what we could've done differently," second-baseman Ronnie Belliard said. "We gave the Tigers every opportunity to win ballgames, but when their pitchers keep making errors on simple ground balls, what are we supposed to do, pretend we forgot the rules and start running to third base?"

After the final out of the World Series was recorded, the stunned Cardinals retreated to their dugout and watched with disappointed, glazed-over expressions as the Detroit Tigers—the feel-good team of the season whom everyone expected to win it all—packed up their equipment in the dugout across the diamond.

According to Albert Pujols, some teammates took the World Series victory harder than others.

"For a lot of young guys like [Anthony] Reyes and [Yadier] Molina, this was their first chance to see an exciting, inspirational, and truly deserving team win a championship," Pujols said. "Even though the outcome of this series has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, I can handle it, because I was there in 2004 when we were able to see Red Sox beat us in the World Series. Man, what an incredible feeling that was… Just watching those guys celebrate, I really felt like I was seeing history unfold before my eyes. It was definitely my greatest baseball moment."

"I hope we have the chance to see something like that again next year," Pujols added.

Reporters and sportswriters around the nation were critical of many of La Russa's successful managerial decisions, second-guessing such effective moves as leaving staff ace Chris Carpenter in for more than five innings in Game 3, and failing to bench third-baseman Scott Rolen, who batted a team-high .421 in the series. La Russa, however, said that things would be different next year.

"I think I speak for my players, the front office, the coaching staff, and every fan in St. Louis when I say that all season long, we had just one goal: bringing a championship to the great city of Detroit," La Russa said. "And even though we failed this time around, we will be committed to achieving similar goals next season."

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers should have done things differently - in that last game, they should have pulled the goalie - oh wait a minute - wrong sport. My bad.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They shouldn't have signed an old free agent like Hasek Kenny Rodgers who has a notorious history of choking in big situations ...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.