Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Karmic Cafe « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyody know what's going on there. A sign was posted Cafe Closed.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 873
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's dunzo say goodbye

Chitaku

Post Number: 874
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good riddance to bad rubish

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Closed?? Bummer deal. I was looking forward to having a quick meal there next week.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait... closed closed?! i only ate there ONCE!!! where are you going to work, chitaku? WTF, mate?!?! explique...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

goddamnit.

Chitaku

Post Number: 875
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the place was run horribly by the rediculous ownership. Andy, once Paul left it fell apart. I need to spend my time on school work as I'm about to graduate. This was kind of a blessing in disguise. If you guys liked the vegan food. I would suggest Ohm cafe in Ferndale on Woodward or In season in Royal Oak on 4th.

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer! i don't think the food ever lived up to its potential but i was holding out hope that this place might turn into a bigger + better veggie option.

booo!

Chitaku

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone might buy the space but I don't think it will be kept vegan. Midtown would be the ideal location for something like this. Most of the buisness people downtown are carnivores

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would anyone have to "buy" the space? Couldn't they just lease it and set up their own thing?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Chitaku meant [lease] but maybe wasn't direct enough for you.

I personally would love to see a new restaurant open up in midtown/downtown with good vegan or vegetarian offerings. Something similar to Inn Season in Royal Oak but more like these places in Chicago and Evanston..

Chicago Diner

Blind Faith Cafe

There is a place in Milford that offers faux meat dishes along with meat ones but the drive from Woodbridge is killer; worth it for the food though, it is excellent.

Lei Tings

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, sorry I couldn't have stayed on and worked with you. Hope you and Tessa are doing well and find somewhere else to work. We should hang out sometime, I am in town pretty often. Call me 734 255 0688, I'd like to hear more about what happened with Kevin and all.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place had poor management from the start. I know the original chefs and the crew that replaced them, they all got screwed by Kevin. At least I won't have to hear anymore horror stories.

Good idea, very bad execution.

Pmardo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chow, do you know me?

Chitaku

Post Number: 880
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you know me Chow?

everyone got screwed

Chitaku

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by the way Pmardo you are lucky you got out when you did

Pmardo

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why's that?

Chitaku

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had to suffer and endure the evil ownership and the shady doings

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6944
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of you might know Chow's sister...met her at Vivio's a month ago...fantastic woman.

Found out what she preferred to do in life, and I meekly suggested she apply at this restaurant in the Guardian that might need her services.

Never saw a woman laugh quite like that...

Gannon

Post Number: 6945
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmardo,

Edit out that damn phone number, now that it's been passed along.

If you can't do it because it's too late, e-mail Lowell and he'll do it for you.

You don't want that sort of thing here in the ether for perpetuity...

Pmardo

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't really see much to worry about, but thanks for your concern.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 614
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to see it go. I would get lunch there 2-3 times a month. It was always pretty good. CBD needs carryouts that offer alternatives to the standard sandwich joint or coney island fare. Karmic's price point always missed the market though. Unless a proprietor can survive on only serving the lawyers and other professional types, $8-9 for lunch, especially when the fare is primarily rice based offerings, just isn't going to cut it.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The juice bar up in the retail promenade is still open.

I believe they will be selling some food from inside there (like baked goods and other stuff) in addition to the usual juice and smoothies.

Chitaku

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can get vegan baked goods at Harmonie way on Grand river for half the price and twice the quality

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! What a surprize. It is sad to hear that people who worked at karmic got screwd. I thought Kevin was a Buddhist? Is he, or is he perp'n on Buddhism? Sounds like bad Karma. Seriously how shady was management? I hope you at least got paid. Sorry to hear all of this. Perhaps Kevin or whoever has some bad Karma to work through.

(Message edited by mani on November 01, 2006)

Mani

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the juice bar and cafe owned by the same person? How is one part open while the other is for sale? I got an email that said the cafe is closed until someone buys it. And a thread says the juice bar is still open. Chitaku, can you please inform us. Some of us who are regulars downtown would like to be informed. Thank You.

Chitaku

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm putting the karmic cafe behind me, that place can rot

Gannon

Post Number: 6960
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently.

Karmic backlash, indeed.

Seems Mani just wants to know if you can point him to another juice joint downtown, so he doesn't have to do business with your jerk ex-boss.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mani,

The juice bar and cafe are owned by the same person. The cafe (I believe) was just more expensive to operate and far less profitable. However, I am *positive* that the juice bar is indeed still open.

I am going to abstain from gossip about or judgment on the bad karma of any management or employees.

Chitaku

Post Number: 902
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would try the juice bar in the Compuware building, they have all the same stuff and last time i was there some pretty ladies were makin the juice.

Chitaku

Post Number: 903
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trust me you do not want to support the karmic juice bar. Those poor girls that work there, if you go, be nice to them because they are nice and I know the owner isn't nice to them

Mani

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! It is good to know that people are honest about their experience and, too bad that it went down so negative. I am for supporting new business, esp...when it is vegetarian and healthy. But I do not want to support if management is treating people poorly. And especially under the premise of Buddhism. That is not cool or right. I will let my friends know and perhaps we will check out the juice bar in the compuware building. It is best to put it behind you. When a door closes, another opens. Thanks.

Chitaku

Post Number: 907
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no problem Mani, get the wheatgrass man, that stuff is amazing

Chitaku

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DO NOT SUPPORT THE KARMIC JUICE BAR PLEASE! The owner needs to understand he can not get away with taking advantage of people!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the big deal over a juice bar?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow liberals taking advantage of liberals. I thought all liberals lived in peace and unity.

Gannon

Post Number: 7145
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point is, from what I've gathered here and with a choice encounter a month ago with one of the original chefs...the owner might strive to be a Buddhist, but has not quite achieved entrepreneurial enlightenment.

I think the collective bad karma baggage of lawyer jokes from around the world don't help him any, either.

I'd say if they kept their first chef and crew, yet gave them autonomy and authority to run the business for the two to three years it takes to establish a new entity...then they MIGHT have had a chance.

Changing crews this often forces one to look further UP the chain-of-command for the true source of trouble...it might have been something as simple as too high of revenue expectations too early in the life trajectory of the new business.

You get a fellow who leans type-A cutting checks all the time wondering why his great idea isn't making money yet...no matter WHAT his spirituality, he'll most likely lean towards the almighty dollar rather than towards the mere humans he needs to make the enterprise a success.

We're seeing what the opposite of success looks like...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.