Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New Detroit restaurants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone visited any of the new restaurants in the city? If so, what were your thoughts?

My boss took me to The Woodward for lunch (next to Compuware) the other day and I was very impressed. Great food, good service, reasonably priced.

I've also been to Seldom Blues. Great views but way pricey!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248...I wish you luck with this thread. However, your post screams 'frosh,' so don't be surprised if you get a wet willy from some of the forum members.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 421
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still have not been to Seldom Blues. I do like the Woodward a lot too.

Yvette248

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um.... okay, I'll bite. What's frosh???

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frosh is a Newbie. They usually don't believe anything you say until after 500 posts or so. Welcome to the Forum.

(Message edited by tarkus on October 28, 2006)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

frosh=freshman. Haven't heard that term used before to mean newbie, but that's a pretty good one.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this great little place in Eastern Market, its called the Roma Cafe, its really classy and the waiters all wear tuxedos.

I never been there before so it must be new. They serve italian food, but no pizza. I found a great new pizza place off of Conant called Buddy's, anyone been there?

Seriously, another new place is in 150 W Jefferson. It looks sort of pretentious. There are always new places opening or old ones closing in this town.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner...no one believes you...you don't have over 500 posts.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8057
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, why be such jackasses about a seemingly simple question.

Yvette - new is relative but here is my take on some:

Sizzle-n-spice - newer. Good food, super nice people. Hope it lasts.

Woodward - I like it.

Seldom Blues - I love it, my budget doesn't.

Mosaic - Have yet to try it but have heard good things.

Pappy's - OK. Is it a restaurant or sports bar - seems to have an identity crisis.

Thai place by Red Squared - Can't remember the name. Good, not great but I would certainly go there for lunch.

Lolas - I like it, others I know do not.

The Rhino Club - Like it

Breakfast House and grill - Never been. I have friends that rave about it.

Just a few off the top of my head and some aren't really that new.

Yvette248

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks jf1. I just started working downtown and wanted some new places to try.

Where is Sizzle-n-spice?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Monroe next to Pulse and the National Theater across the street from the Compuware parking garage.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dplanner's post was funny. I also recently learned of Roma Cafe, but in truth, it is the oldest continuously running family-operated restaurant in the city (or so I'm told).

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma Cafe has been at its current location for decades. I used to go with my dad a few times a month back when he worked near Eastern Market, 10 years ago or so.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mosaic in Greektown is maybe 2- 2 1/2 yrs old....excellent (and slightly pocket hurting) Sunday brunch, but the food stays on point. Sweet Georgia Browns (4 yrs and running now) is a nice place with good food (sorta pricey however). You then have Cheli's Chili ( I havent been there yet but I heard the chili is off the chain), the restaurants on Broadway, and a myriad of others...

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mosaic is a lot newer than 2 to 2.5 years. Has it even been open a year?

My favorite is Small Plates, the beef and rice dish is amazing and enough for one person (with an appetizer). Very chill and modern...just what Detroit needs.

Roma's is...it's as old school and original as you can get.

Has anyone been to the Washington Grille in the Holiday Inn Express on Washington Blvd? My gf and I tried to try it back during the Superbowl weekend but we couldn't get any service so we walked out.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly the oldest restaurant in Detroit went by the name "Schweizer's", which was located about 2 blocks east of the Renaissance Center. It was opened in 1862, and closed sometime in the 1980's IIRC.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it that new? I thought that I remember the Grand Opening of it back in the WInter/ late Fall of 2k4 Mosaic). I dont know, I could be mistaken.

But the food and service are excellent still...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some of the new places i've been to are the traffic jam, national coney island, and the clique...

...just kidding...

slow's is nearing the one year mark, but is AMAZING. in this place, detroit garners another restaurant that is able to attain style and taste, while luring outsiders (read suburbanites) into the city to part with their cash... Slow's is AMAZING.

Amen to Sizzle and Spice. UNDER-RATED very good indian food... don't let the sparse decor scare you away... the food is GREAT...

The organic store / deli? next to avalon serves up some good sandwiches, though their grocery selection is a little sparse... let's support this store, so it doesn't go the way of the Do-do, the dinosaur, and the Karmic!

DEFINITELY not new, but alot of you might not know about it:
For cheap fare, the Bronx bar on second has AMAZING sandwiches.... And, i'm not joking here, the BEST pancakes i've ever tasted... (bonus, you can eat the cakes w/ bloody marys) and for those of you who ARN'T vegetarians... free bacon on sundays...

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly recommend both of these.

Vicente's Cuban Cuisine (Downtown)

http://www.vicente.us/

Atlas Global Bistro (Mid-Town/Wayne State)

http://www.atlasglobalbistro.c om/

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

Finally someone gets it. Yes I do mix a ton of sarcasm into all of my posts. I am always amazed about how many people want to attack me. I think folks need to ask themselves 'why the heck is this guy a contrarian on everything'?

Docsnitz
Username: Docsnitz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma Cafe is over 100 years old and is a Detroit Landmark. My family and I have been going there for years, it is definitely a must do if you have never been.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think folks need to ask themselves 'why the heck is this guy a contrarian on everything'?

'cuz you're a 40 year old guy living in your Mom's basement waitin' on your pension so you can move Up-north at Detroiters' expense and bitch to your neighbors up there that nobody would help clean the alley behind your house. :-)

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma: My wife went into labor there w/ one of our kids 40 years ago. Great waiters (if they like you); a couple went there from the Ponchartrain Wine Cellars when it closed many years ago. Owned by the Lelli family (and may still be) although part of the family split and started Lelli's, on Second.

(I don't get on here as much as I'd like; I like the new spellcheck feature.)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To correct some erroneous info posted here, from Roma's website:

quote:

In 1918, the business was sold to Mr. John Battaglia and Mr. Morris Sossi. As they began their partnership, an addition was put on the building and exists exactly the same today. Within one year John Battaglia died and Morris Sossi bought out his widow and became the sole owner of the Roma Cafe.

Morris Sossi's nephew, Hector Sossi, began working as a busboy for his uncle in 1940. In the early 1950'sMorris returned to his native Italy and left the management to his Hector. Hector Sossi carried on the family tradition and bought out Morris in 1965 to become the fourth owner of the Roma Cafe.

In 1997, Mr. Sossi remains the owner of Roma's with a third generation family member at the helm. His daughter, Janet Sossi Belcoure, currently handles the management of this historic Italian eatery. As Roma heads into the next century, stock transfers have begun as Mrs. Sossi Belcoure will become the fifth owner of Roma Cafe, Inc.

http://www.romacafe.com/

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lelli family split gave rise to Mario's on 2nd and Lelli's (formerly New Center, now in Pontiac).

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orchid Thai (on Monroe by Compuware) has simple decor, but, most importantly, very good Thai food.

Baille Corcaigh (on Bagley in Corktown) is a great-looking Irish pub with very good food.

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not new but it's Damn good....Traffic Jam and Snug!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.