Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » STL, Detroit most dangerous cities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the does the media put so much stock in this company's numbers they when aren't true stats? Detroit was ranked 2nd last year according to them, yet we had the 9th highest violent crime according to the FBI . Not that 9th is a position to be proud of, but it me irks when these stats with a questionable methodology are constantly brought up in articles mentioning Detroit.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash /business/index.ssf?/base/news -38/1162187389126820.xml&story list=mibusiness

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10802
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Visiting St. Louis on Thursday, FBI director Robert Mueller said it was too early to tell why some types of crime were rising faster in the Midwest.

Let me save him some time, it's obviously tied to the midwest's higher than average unemployment, combined with higher than average number of people living in poverty. It's not exactly rocket science.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15 475741/

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd?, 9th? either way I heard automatic gunfire somewhere in the proximity of my house last night. that is more violent (or the potential to be more violent) than I'd prefer...

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit. St. Louis beats us in everything nowadays. We need to try harder next year.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5948
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not, they killed Detroit in the series...

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do seem good at killing. I'll give them that.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, can you really blame those people that want to leave the city, or those not moving here? There is no way I would consider moving my family into the city with the current state of things.

No matter how many buildings are redeveloped or how many miles of riverfront we develop, that will not stop crime. I blame the city for not doing enough to help the residents.

I dont care if the city goes more into debt for the right reasons--help our neighborhoods. I also blame the residents. Have some f'n pride in this place. Turn in those that commit crimes. Actually do something to help progress your neighborhood instead of sitting there watching it go to hell.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed that not one negative story about St. Louis was mentioned in the news during the entire World Series?

With their serious problems, kinda makes you wonder why people are so negative about Detroit when several other major cities have the same (or worse) problems.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8939
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...because Detroit is constantly in the top 5 most dangerous cities (usually top 3). Don't forget that Detroit was the murder capital for how many years in a row? It is going to take a long while before people see teh city in a different light. Being #2 isn't going to help change that perception.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you have souvenir T-shirts, "I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit"? I can almost understand the perverse pride the battle harden veterans of Detroit have in the beaten down wreck.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DC was the murder capital for many years as well.....

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's really interesting is that metropolitan Detroit is the most dangerous metro area in the country for the third year in a row...

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime unfortunately has always been a major problem in this city, yet we still survive, and actually prosper in the Downtown,, in the late 80s and early 90s I wouldnt even think of walking at night downtown from my downtown neighborhood, and now I dont think twice about it in the renovated areas and there are thousands of others doing the same, It is starting to feel like may other cities downtown with "good" and "bad" areas,, Have you ever been to L.A. ??? You have luxurious areas and gang plagued areas only miles away,,, This is some progress and for those that dont want to recognize it , just stay home,, The neighborhoods need to improve badly however, the vast majority of crime is coming from those areas. More cops are definetly needed, however our problem is far from unique

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not all is bad news for metro Detroit. Troy ranked as the nation's fifth safest city, and Sterling Heights finished at No. 16. Livonia came in as 37th safest, and Canton was listed as 40th safest."

Thats whats more interesting

Detroitstar

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would trade a crappy downtown for wonderful neighborhoods. I think there is so much emphasis put on fixing up downtown and making things look good to visitors that we're forgetting about the 95% that makes up the rest of the city.

Dont get me wrong, downtown in important, but it's not the most important part in my opinion. People always say "clean up downtown and things filter into the neighborhoods". The problem with this is that at this rate by the time good stuff comes to 7 Mile Rd., Downtown will be shit again and we'll have to start all over again.

There has got to be more of a focus on the neighborhoods soon, or there will be no neighborhoods left to speak of. The crimes will go down because there will be nobody left to be victims.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 594
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

______________________________ ___________
QUOTE:

"Since George W. Bush took office, Detroit has had a 90 percent reduction in federal funding for crime prevention," Matt Allen said Sunday evening. "We're doing more with less. We're doing the best we can ... however, lacking significant funding to bring more officers back to the department, there's very little more that the police department can do.

______________________________ ____________

Of course, this is a political statement. That being said, Americans kill Americans at a far higher rate that foreigners kill Americans. Law enforcement resources should reflect this reality.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High unemployment and high poverty rates..... Same old tired logic that implies the reason and excuse
for high crime....add my mother and father were mean to me growing up and we have all the excuses we ever need for any type of behavior.Everyone has an excuse now for everthing....Well, "your reasons and excuses are your own" And, of course,
its all the fault of the evil police on one hand many will say and also saying Bush Administration doesnt have enough police. Which is it?
Fourteen urban school districts have on-time graduation rates lower than 50%; they include Detroit, Baltimore, New York, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, Denver and Houston.Just bring be a damn high school diploma, Is that too much to ask? Im not even gonna speak to college attendance. Your life will be better
and so will mine as I wont subsidize your lack of high school diploma....and society wont suffer the external costs.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4041
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the News today:

quote:

Editorial update: Crime cleanup essential for Detroit

N o city in America has received as much free -- and positive -- publicity as Detroit has the last year thanks to nearly every major sporting event converging on the city. But all of that will be lost if Detroit doesn't become a safer city.

Detroit still ranks second on the list of the most dangerous cities in America with populations of more than 75,000 and first among those with populations of at least 500,000. That's unacceptable.

So is the city's response to the ranking.

"Crime is on the rise everywhere," Matt Allen, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's spokesman, told The News. "Detroit isn't immune and doesn't stand apart from the rest of the country. This problem is only being ignored by the federal government."

Only it's not the federal government's job to clean up and police Detroit, or any other metropolitan community. It's time for Detroit to take some responsibility for its crime problem -- especially since its Police Department is under federal oversight -- and fundamentally clean up its act.

Clearly crime in the city is not just a perception problem. It is reality. And if Detroit is to benefit from its unbelievable run (which continues for the next couple of years with more of the world's premier sporting events being hosted here and in the region), it needs to make the city and the neighborhoods safer.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/artikkel?Dato=20061030&Kate gori=UPDATE&Lopenr=610300411&R ef=AR&Show=0&template=printart

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4759
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell pointed out on the "1967 Detroit Riots" thread one of the mysteries of that era: employment was high, jobs were plentiful and wages decent.

A great downtown is just that - great. But most folks don't live downtown - so if there aren't nice/safe/affordable neighborhoods (along with acceptable schools) the middle class isn't going to come, they'll head to/stay in the 'burbs, and downtown will have to survive with what they can lure downtown for the day/night + those able to live at the city center.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting sick of these types of news stories....what is the antidote to urban violence? They never point out what we as citizens could do to improve or reduce crime in the cities. Rather left to our own conclusions we throw our hands up in the air and say, "well time to move to Howell" No people live there that look like the ones in Detroit, must be a safer place then" If we are so obsessed with safety, we should stay in and not go anywhere, that way, will never get in car accidents, never catch viruses.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Louis won because of statistics.

Detroit does not count as homicides deaths caused by ricochets; SL does.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always had a sympatico feeling for St. Louis as they have shared our fate, just on a smaller scale, of urban abandonment, post-industrial decline, economic and racial divide, and fabulous ruins. They also share a French name, great musical, baseball and history heritages and sit astride important waterways.

I wonder what happened to those early forum members from St. Louis, Stlgasm and his twin brother [forgot his avatar] who journeyed to Detroit for Fabulous Ruins Night at the Cass Cafe in Feb. 2001.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4437
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Louis is scary. AIW and Supersport are right.
They tell it like it tis.

Thanks Lowell for the sociological comparisons.

jjaba.

Stlgasm
Username: Stlgasm

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here I am chiming in because once again Detroit and St. Louis are on the shitwagon together.

As we all know, we can't put too much stock in these statistics. I know my city is no more dangerous than any large city. Nonetheless, these rankings are terribly damaging to our cities' images, and it's unfortunate that so many people take this "news" at face value. It's up to us to set the record straight.

Oh well, I know St. Louis and it's an incredible city. By the way, I was a little sad that the Cards and Tigers had to go head to head. I would've much rather won against some undeserving Sunbelt city. I love Detroit!

It's good to be back-- thanks for tracking me down, Lowell!

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And more insult to injury as St. Louis has the Bowling Hall of Fame and we dont.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have long advocated crime reduction as the key to Detroit's revival.I think that would be true of any city.But what is crime reduction? And how accurate are reports of crime reduction? I do believe crime reduction has helped NYC enormously but lately I have read of misleading statistics being reported by some police officials.I am not here to determine the accuracy or inaccuracy of those reports.

My question or guess and it is an uneducated guess is that those of you that live in Detroit are probably the best measure of crime in your neighborhoods.We have heard from some here Chub et,al have reported on crime. So those of you in low crime area's what makes it that way? Police presence? neighborhood watch? I am curious.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 752
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think there is so much emphasis put on fixing up downtown and making things look good to visitors that we're forgetting about the 95% that makes up the rest of the city.

Detroitstar,

That is a myth. The new neighborhood development may not generate as much media coverage as the new downtown development, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Since 2000, there has been over 5,000 new housing units built in Detroit, and only 400 of those are downtown.

East Jefferson is filled with new development all the way out to the city limits. Southwest Detroit has seen a ton of new development over the last few years.

New residential and commercial development is happening in many Detroit neighborhoods, not just downtown.
-------------

The accusation that downtown is getting most of the new development, INSTEAD of the neighborhoods, is not only false, it doesn't even make sense.

Downtown development and neighborhood development is not an "either-or" situation.
-------

Compuware chose downtown Detroit, over Farmington Hills, Troy, Southfield, and Auburn Hills, as the place to build a new HQ. This development was a victory for the entire city, not just downtown. It's not like Compuware chose to build downtown instead of building at Mack and Bewick.

GM spent $500 million dollars to renovate the RenCen after they bought it for their new HQ. That development has been great for downtown, but it didn't happen INSTEAD of neighborhood development. GM didn't choose to invest that money on upgrading their new HQ instead of spending it to build new housing in Brightmoor.

The retail and housing development at Jefferson Village is a huge boost for Detroit's east side, but it didn't come at the expense of downtown development. The same amount of money could have transformed the run-down areas of west downtown, but a bunch of new single-family homes and a mega-strip mall would't work in Capitol Park and Washington Blvd.
-------

We need to stop thinking that positive development in one area of the city is hurting development in a different area of the city. This mindset will only prevent us from working together towards a common goal.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the last things Clinton did was put more police on the streets. That was one of the awful Dem programs that Repugs stopped first thing.

RE: the 1967 riots. I wonder just how many blacks were employed during that great time of jobs.

When Atlanta was picked for the Olympics, it had a higher crime rate than Detroit, but, of course, that didn't figure into the news stories.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ErikD, I agree with your post. I'm not saying that there is no development outside of downtown. I'm not saying development downtown is bad...that thought would be just plain stupid.

The point I'm trying to make is that nobody is "taking a chance" on the neighborhoods (and for good reason, at this point).

Sure there is an increase in new housing units-that is great, but it's still not enough considering what we are losing on a daily basis. Sure East Jefferson and Woodward corridor look better over the last few years--but what about Kerchival, Mack, (West) Livernois, Fenkell. These are the commercial strips that serve our neighborhoods. What made big city living ideal back in the day was the convenience of services near home. If these are not being offered, then we're going to continue losing population to the places that do offer this.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5122
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes U.S. Cities Dangerous?

1. NO ECONOMIC JOB BASE.

2. HIGH CRIME.

3 MORE BLACKS AND HISPANICS DWELLING IN THE GHETTOS AND BARRIOS.
You can get that data from your local police department.

That would keep white families out for a while.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 792
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I also blame the residents. Have some f'n pride in this place. Turn in those that commit crimes. Actually do something to help progress your neighborhood instead of sitting there watching it go to hell.

Detroitstar, I'm sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about. These sorts of statements are very insulting to Detroit residents. In Detroit, depending on the neighborhood, if you see a crime in progress the police take 15-30 minutes to show up by which time the criminals are gone -- unless you tell the 911 operator they have a gun -- then they show up in maybe 5 minutes (recently I noticed that in the IV/WV area the police show up in 4 minutes flat now -- probably due to the influence of the Indian Village Association). If they did not commit a violent offense then they are let out of jail in a couple of days because there are no cells to hold them. Answers? Built a mega prison-complex to hold them? Hire more police? Allow residents to protect property with force? These methods might work in the short term but they don't solve the root causes of crime (unemployment, poverty, lack of opportunities, etc.) and would only cause crime to worsen in the long run as the root causes are ignored. A combination of attacking the root causes of crime (long-term solution) and aggressive enforcement and incarceration (short-term solutions) would probably yield the best results in the long run.

Still, despite Detroit's high crime image, there are numerous safe neighborhoods in the city where violent crime is rare and the streets are safe. These neighborhoods because of their relative wealth suffer more from property crime like auto theft and larceny. With the right measures taken (dog or alarm in your home, kill-switch on your car, etc.) one can live pretty much crime-free in these neighborhoods. Thousands of people have been living in the city this way for decades. For them it is a small price worth paying to live in and be part of the city they love.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4446
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schoolcraft, move the Bowling Hall of Fame to Hazel Park, Michigan. There's room between the hockey rink and the harness racing.

Hazel tucky is a damn site safer than St. Louis anyday.

jjaba, tells it like it tis.

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you discount the murders and assaults, the crime rate in Detroit is actually quite moderate

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you discount the murders and assaults, the crime rate in Detroit is actually quite moderate

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.