Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Angel's Night volunteers? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you really a volunteer if you are a city employee and your supervisor hands you a flashing light to mount atop your car and assigns you to drive around a portion of the city while on the clock?

A large number, if not most, of the "volunteers" are city employees that must rearrange their work schedules so that they can patrol the streets while on the clock. A lucky few get overtime. So watch for the wink when the mayor stands before the media and thanks his "volunteers".

There are a good number of real volunteers. They should be praised for their devotion to the city. To them I say thank you. But the truth should be told. Only in detroit would a mayor brag about the record breaking number of volunteers needed to keep the city from burning itself to the ground

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I entered all my info online and I thought I would be receiving a call on where to report or something. Never received it.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detola,

I am not a City employee, and I went out last night. Yes lots of City employees are volunteers for this effort, but there are far more non-City employees that participate. Have you been to the City Halls to see the number of folks in them on those nights? I'm willing to bet that you have not.

I've never heard of a City employee getting overtime or getting comp time to volunteer for this. If this is indeed the case shame on the City Employee for taking advantage of the situation, and shame on the City for allowing to be taken.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a lot of city employees volunteer because they actually CARE about their city. Many city employees that I know are very active in their community and are the middle class glue holding their neighborhoods together.

So relax your sphincter. Everything isn't a "vast right wing conspiracy"!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeesh! I've never heard about the volunteers getting overtime or getting paid at all. It's 6pm to 2am...maybe their superviser lets a "late morning arrival" slip because they've been out all night...but come on. It's a great thing this angels night patrol. It's really worked out well these past years...let's not crap on a good thing here.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighborhood has a large turnout to patrol the neighborhood. About 50 people involved over three nights. None of them are city employees as far as I know.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 865
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you figure people are getting paid to volunteer?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angels night is so passe.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does the media call it Angel's Night when it's really called Devil's Night? Someone should tell them the proper name so they don't keep making fools of themselves.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I tried to volunteer about 2 weeks ago, both on the web and by calling. I heard nothing back from my web inquiry. Over the phone I was told that no more volunteers were needed.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on October 30, 2006)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Show up at your local neighborhood city hall tonight or tomorrow and see if they need help.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone interested in volunteering in Hamtramck can go to People's Community Services on Campau (near the south end) anytime today.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm new to the neighborhood, what is the community center for 48207?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4044
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Volunteer Centers:

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/an gelsnight/VolunteerCenters.htm

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd probably be Central District, Detroitstar.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I just called and got a positive response. Thanks.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I will toilet paper my own house tonight.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm doing it tonight from 6 to 2am.

I called my neighborhood city hall last week and signed up: http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/nc h/neighborhood_locations.htm

They did ask if I wanted to get paid overtime. When I said no, they asked if I wanted some free cash. I said that I didn't even work for the city, but they insisted...said the City's got tons of scrilla and if I didn't want the cash, would I accept a flat panel tv from Best Buy?

Haha...had to do it Detrola.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.