Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » History of Kensington Metropark « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently I was asked by a visitor to this area who was the "Kensington" that the park was named after. Does anyone have a history of the park? Wikipedia doesn't seem to have it.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.milfordhistory.org

Bet if you called, someone there could tell you.
I grew up in Milford and worked in Kensington for years. It's the only nice thing about Milford.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it was named after a person, per se but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From an informational plaque at the park: "Conceived out of need for public recreational lands and created by Public Act 147 of the Michigan Legislature in 1939, the Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority was established in 1940 by a vote of the people of Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne Counties. The true birth of the Metropark system occurred in 1942, when the first funds became available from a millage assessment. The primary purpose of the Authority is to plan, acquire, develop and operate regional recreational facilities. This was first achieved at this site when Kensington Metropark opened to the public in 1947."

In essence, Kensington was the first Metropark. Their website (http://www.metroparks.com/glob al/history.php) doesn't give us much more info. Another good page is about Joseph Labadie, who donated land that became part of Kensington (http://www.lib.umich.edu/spec- coll/jlabexhibit/01.html)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3197
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Metro Park crescent surrounding Detroit was a stroke of genius and vision. They are magnificent preserves of nature. Kensington is spectacular in all seasons. It has a particularly pleasant yet not overly challenging cross country ski course.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn Belle Isle into a Metropark!

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks - it's funny you mention that. Back in the 50's or 60's the Metroparks wanted to purchase Belle Isle, but the City wouldn't sell.

Tåla
Username: Tåla

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensington was the name of the town that was were Kent Lake is today.The South Lyon Township plat map of 1872 shows the town of Kensington.http://www.memoriallibrary.com /MI/Oakland/PLATS/1872lyon.htm

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk did you go to Milford High? I've lived in Milford most of my life, we probably know each other. I do have to disagree with you about Kensington being the only nice thing in Milford. Actually there was a post a few weeks ago about the forumers favorite suburb and Milford received quite a few votes.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Commerce. WLC class of 1989. What's so bad about Milford? Oh, maybe Leslie Allen Williams and Aaron Stinchcombe come to mind but other than that...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 956
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found this posted in another thread while i was looking for something else:

quote:

From http://www.milfordhistory.org/ September_2004_newsletter.htm
------------------------------ -------------------
The Ghost Town of Kensington

Most of those traveling along Grand River Avenue and crossing the bridge over the Huron River are unaware that the town of Kensington once existed at this site. Paralleling Grand River today is I-96, bordered by Kensington Metropark on the north side, and Island Lake State Recreation Area to the south. The town was later known as Kent.

Why here? To begin with, Grand River, a former Indian trail, was a main east-west toll road. Stagecoaches once rumbled back and forth between Detroit and Lansing. Rivers were used as transportation routes and a source of water power. Thus, the junction of a river and a main road was a logical site for developing a town.

The completion of the Erie Canal in 1825 resulted in an enormous influx of immigrants from the east into the Great Lakes region. Rapid population growth in the 1830s gave rise to many aspiring communities, some of which were destined for success, some to failure. Kensington, unfortunately, was in the latter category.

Initially, there were high expectations. The first building erected was a sawmill operated by Joel Redway. Constructed in 1834, it served the community for many years, using waterpower from the Huron River. Before long, with an increase in population, other businesses became established. The town had two hotels, a large livery stable, three general stores, a doctor's office, a church, a post office, a tavern, a bank, and a blacksmith shop.

Besides serving as a tavern, the "Kensington Inn" also served as a doctor's office. The attending physician, however, was not a licensed practitioner. According to many long-time residents of the area, "Doctor" Tom Curtis was a patent medicine man who specialized in back plasters made from sawdust and red pepper. In addition to dabbling in the healing arts, Dr. Curtis also practiced "painless" dentistry, relying on whiskey from his tavern as the anesthetic.

As in most small towns, homes often served dual purposes. The home of Abe Wood, a one-armed Civil War veteran, served as the Kensington Post Office until 1900.

Thus, Kensington appeared to have a promising future due to the favorable location and rapid growth. Yet, it became a ghost town by 1890. What went wrong?

With its location on the Huron River, it was suggested that a dam be constructed to provide waterpower for the town. However, this proposal was not supported by landowners' up-river. Such a project, they felt, would flood their lands. Therefore, no dam was built.

During the 1830s a period of inflated and worthless currency came into being. It was during this period that the Kensington Bank was founded (late-1837). Founders of the bank included Alfred Dwight and Sherman Dix. The original stockholders sold stock to other residents, among them Neil Butterfield and Chauncey Crouse.

In 1838, the holders began to issue notes. When sales did not proceed as well as expected, Dwight and Dix left for Milwaukee, unbeknownst to the remaining holders. They disposed of several thousand bank notes, keeping the proceeds.

The Michigan Legislature passed laws requiring banking corporations to show real estate security. As the only two landholders, Butterfield and Crouse issued a reward for the return of Dwight and Dix. Shortly afterwards, the two were arrested in Milwaukee and returned to Kensington. We have no knowledge of the trial's outcome.

As with many "wildcat banks," the Kensington Bank collapsed due to a lack of assets. The building later became a Free Methodist Church, and then a storage shed.

Bank notes form the Kensington Bank became worthless, perhaps being relegated to use as wallpaper or tinder. Today, the surviving notes are collectibles, with a value far exceeding their original denominations.

Kensington Bank circa 1970

As the town's economy faltered, many residents moved away without notifying their creditors. After many months of non-payment, their eastern creditors came to check on their debtors and found empty stores. Thus, all unpaid bills became known as goods that had "gone to Kent."

A later factor was the lack of a railroad. At that time, a railroad was essential to the economic success of a community. Towns competed with each other to attract a railroad. In 1871, rail lines were built. Milford and South Lyon were on railroad routes, Kensington wasn't.

Today, remnants of the town are few. Two cemeteries exist, one along Grand River west of the town site, the other at the junction of Grand River and Kensington Road. At the latter is a bronze plaque marking the former site of the Kensington Baptist Church, a stone edifice erected in 1853, razed in 1952.

We have a tendency to equate the term "ghost town" with the mining towns of the far west or perhaps to the abandoned lumber, copper and iron mining communities of northern Michigan. However, the Detroit area has some of its' own. Kensington no longer exists as a town but the name survives as the first of the Huron-Clinton Metroparks that were established in the five-county region around Detroit.

Contributed by Bob Hataling, Supervisory Interpretive Naturalist, Kensington Nature Center

posted originally by burnsie.

-RSA (RockStArchitect) WLW class of '97.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3016
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well stated Lowell, although some on this Forum have the Myopic viewpoint that since there isn't one actually IN Detroit, why should Detroiter's help pay for them.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On one of the nature trails in the park there is a marker pointing out some old house foundations.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8063
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well stated Lowell, although some on this Forum have the Myopic viewpoint that since there isn't one actually IN Detroit, why should Detroiter's help pay for them.

Because HCMA send no money to support anything in Detroit. One third of Detroiters live in poverty and one third of Detroiters have no access to transportation with the exception of buses.

Forcing the poorest to help subsidize parks that keep home values up in far out suburbs is not the way to keep these parks running.

If I could opt out of paying HCMA and putting more money into supporting Detroit parks I would in a heartbeat. This is just another case of regionalization when it is convenient for some.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because HCMA send no money to support anything in Detroit.

The HCMA pays for the Belle Isle Nature Zoo and its programming.
http://www.metroparks.com/prog rams/progs_belle_isle.php

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8065
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that is on the scale of 50K-100K or so. Supposedly they propped up the amount in 05 but I am sure that adjusted down in the final budget. They used to have programming for the State Fairgrounds that they dropped and they have been appraoched by the city for assistance with Belle Isle and the Fairgrounds and the city has been told to kindly go fuck themselves.

The nominal dollars for the 'proigramming' is nothing to pat themselves on the back seeing how they bring in millions from taxpayers of the city of Detroit. I will check the 06 budget that I have fcor HCMA but it is in the range of tens of thousands at most.

The HCMA can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. Let's redirect the mills that Detroiters pay back to Detroit parks as opposed to keeping up property values in areas that 1/3 of Detroiters can not access without taking a bus.

The simple fact is that Detroiters pay millions into HCMA and get a ridiculously small amount put into Bell Isle. This is done stricly so they can claim that they are vested in Detroit and care about parks and rec in Detroit.

I would rather have my .2 mills go to homeless shelters in the city, feeding the impoverished in the city, supporting parks and rec in poorer communities in the city. Really anything beyond keeping up parks and property values around Stoney Creek, Kensington, etc.

(Message edited by jt1 on November 01, 2006)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They used to have programming for the State Fairgrounds that they dropped

As far as I know they are still partnering with the DNR to offer programming during the State Fair at the Pocket Park.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all for the information! Since the park was named after the town of Kensington, I would assume then that the town was named after Kensington in England which is a district of London. If that is true, then the name came from Anglo-Saxon Cēnsiginga tūn = "The village or enclosure of Keen-Victory's people" according to Wikipedia.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.