Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Goodbye John L. Smith, hello Marriuci? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU coach Smith won't return as coach

Dave Dye / The Detroit News

Advertisement

GET FREE HEADLINES BY E-MAIL

Printer friendly version
Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery
EAST LANSING -- John L. Smith has been informed by Michigan State officials he will not return as football coach next season.

A news conference has been called for 1:30 p.m. today at Spartan Stadium to make the announcement. MSU President Lou Anna Simon, athletic director Ron Mason and board of trustees chairperson David Porteous are expected to attend.

One source said Smith, who has two years remaining on a guaranteed six-year contract, was given the option to finish the season.

Michigan State (4-5) has three regular-season games remaining, including Saturday at home against Purdue.

The Spartans are 22-23 overall and 12-17 in the Big Ten during Smith's three-plus seasons in East Lansing.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzo will not allow his friend to take the abuse and the political end games at MSU.

Expect another long screwed up coaching search. Recruits are already abandoning ship.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god he's gone.

I really hope the administration does not go after Mooch. I like the guy, but this program needs discipline right now, and Mooch is just too nice of a guy for this.

I like Butch Davis. The guy cleaned up Miami (FL) and took them within 1 game of the national title game. Things didnt fare so well in the NFL, but he's proven to be able to win at the college level.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other night Izzo was asked, sarcastically, if he was interested in coaching football by one of the Izzone members. His response was somewhat surprising.

"I absolutely love football, and one day before I retire, somewhere, I will coach football."

hmmm :-)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN says that Mariucci will not take the MSU job.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I was driving around town this afternoon, someone calling into WXYT identified himself as a home appraiser and asserted that Mooch was moving to California. (Not that I ever thought Izzo would let him take the job in E. Lansing...)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word on the streets in EL is that Mooch has spoken directly with MSU officials and has informed him that he has no in the job. Why would he, the Lions are still paying him $5 million.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.