Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Calculating property tax in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey -

Questions -

To calculate ones annual property tax - one would multiply the State Equalized Value of your home x the milage rate. ?? For example:

10,321 SEV
55.7433 milage rate (Homestead exemption)

10.321 x 55.7433 = Aprox $575 yearly plus $300 bucks for Kwame's trash collection.

Does that sound right?

If I am taxed the full milage rate on this bill, then how come I will get hit again in the winter? If my milage is indeed 55.7433 a year, then shouldn't I be taxed by that just once a year - as in, summer would be a portion of the 55 mils and winter would be the rest?

What if I have an NEZ property? One parcel number for the house (NEZ) that is capped for 12 years, and the other parcel number for the land value, which is spread against the regular tax rate. The latter is not capped and can increase I believe.

Do I still get the Homestead exemption? (if I filed for it of course) As in - will my taxes still be based on the lower milage rate? If I added the 2 SEV's together, and multiplied by the milage, I should be able to figure out my taxes for the year. Right?

I'm sure many of you guys on here have had similar issues with taxes, especially NEZ. I have had nothing but trouble in regards to taxes living in the city of Detroit. It's very frustrating. I don't think I've ever been taxed properly in the whole 6 years I've lived here. I always have to fight with the powers that be, either locally or in Lansing, and then wait 6 months to a year to get a refund, all the while my bank is sending me escrow analysis's - jacking up my monthly payment.

Any insite would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you filed your homestead correctly, the school operating line on your summer tax bill will read exempt. You still get this exemption with the NEZ, if it's your primary home. It should read exempt even with the NEZ.

The summer mill rate + the winter mill rate should equal the total mills. If the number of mills on your summer tax plus the winter tax mills is over 70 you didn't get the homestead exemption. School operating is in the 17-18 mills range.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree J_stone. Detroit property taxes are a complete mystery. I think they just guess what to charge you each year -- or maybe they have a randomizer. Who knows. They definitely don't want to run the city with property tax money -- it's like they gave up on that idea years ago. The city is mostly run on income taxes and state revenue sharing (I think Detroit gets like 25%).

Maybe Detroit should stop pretending and just ax all property taxes in the city and just have an income tax.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One problem you might be having is the fact that the County doesn't issue their tax bill until the winter bill. So even though your summer bill from the city states one millage rate and total tax liability for the year, those numbers go up once you get the winter tax bill due to the County adding their taxes to the existing city taxes that are due.

I talked to the person who is the head of property taxes for the city as to why they do this. She claims that the County doesn't issue their numbers to the city until 2 weeks before the City's winter tax bills have to be mailed out. I don't buy it but it could be true.

I've found that Detroit tax bills are by far the most complicated and hardest to understand in SE Michigan. I also told this to the property tax person at the city and she said she understood them so I should be able to understand them as well. And people are leaving this city because...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.