Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Study ranks Michigan No. 3 in manufacturing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4612
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This can be moved if deemed not Detroit enough an issue for the Discuss Detroit forum, but I think it's pretty relevant:

Study ranks Michigan No. 3 in manufacturing

Midday update (November 1, 2006)

By Derek Wallbank
Lansing State Journal

Michigan is the third-best state in the nation for manufacturing, according to a study released Wednesday.

Each of the top 14 states are "significantly above average for industrial competitiveness" and "best positioned to compete nationally and in the global manufacturing economy," the study said.

The report by eMvoy, a Chicago-based industry research group, sampled approximately 100,000 U.S. manufacturers to compile its list.

Advertisement

"There is so much confusion about the state of American manufacturing. The public perception is that, overall, U.S. manufacturing is weak," eMvoy Chief Executive Officer Craig Landy said.

"After looking at 100,000 manufacturers, we found that the state of U.S. manufacturing is not bad - as long as you are in the right state."

Read more on this story in Thursday's Lansing State Journal.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20061101/NEWS0 3/611020301

------------------------------ -------------------

I'll post the whole story when it comes out, tomorrow.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 891
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that's a little encouraging. However, I sure get tired of these organizations that come up with state and city rankings.

Seems like my native state of Michigan and my adopted state of Nevada are always at the very top or the very bottom of something.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2889
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, that's just the Will Rodgers effect of so many Michiganders moving to NV ... :-)

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan really is the third best manufacturing state?-
Considering all of the manufacturing facilities closing their doors and going bankrupt; and Michigan jobs being exported to maquiladoras in Mexico and most retail items being made in China
and selling for union scale prices-
How do you 'splain that?
Let's see how many industries has the USA given away in the last 20 years: steel, tv, soft goods, and now automobiles.
I'd say whoever wrote the article has got to be kidding.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4615
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you try looking for the company that put out this report, or write the author to find out about the company? This isn't an author's spin, this is a report being put out.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3120
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about states and regions that actually manufacture in said state or region and not just maintain an HQ?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though Michigan and Detroit are shrinking, they're still big. I'm not surprised Michigan is #3.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4616
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must mean economically, right?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is...who is above Michigan?

Alabama? Mississippi? Ohio (shudder)?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4617
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? We're talking the best states for manufacturing.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a joke, based on the location of new manufacturing jobs (specifically automotive).

I must need to keep my day job. ;)

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the complete list:

http://www.emvoy.com/state/lis t.html

Here are their top 14 states "for manufacturing"

1 Ohio
2 Illinois
3 Michigan
4 Pennsylvania
5 Texas
6 Wisconsin
7 Minnesota
8 Indiana
9 New York
10 California
11 North Carolina
12 Connecticut
13 New Jersey
14 Massachusetts

Here is a quick summary of their methodology (from: http://www.emvoy.com/news/ )

" Chicago-based eMvoy rated companies by assessing company stability, market penetration, technology and web presence. The research group performs large-scale evaluations of U.S. manufacturers as part of the services it provides to industrial purchasing agents."

There seems to be a gap here on the list between "best" and "most profitable" or "most efficient." Unfortunately, Michigan is not the #3 state in terms of manufacturing growth, is it?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4620
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course it isn't. It still shows that that for all of the loss, Michigan isn't the "Mississippi" so many chalk it up to be, and that that the economic picture of Michigan is much more detailed and complicated and detailed than the "doom-and-gloomers" will give it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.