Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Anyone else love WRCJ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have this station on all day - It's like WQRS without the commercials all day and great Jazz at night. This year I skipped WDET and pledged to them.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's great!!
I can't wait till Mr. Music returns directly from the Belle Isle Conservatory :-)
The internet radio service is super.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way better when it was actually a high school radio station giving students an amazing experience.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The students can gain the exact same experience with a 10 Watt station.
All 4 of them.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Ann DeLisei...

Detroitej72

(Message edited by detroitej72 on November 01, 2006)

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Toolbox. The old station played some great old school rap, electro and house. And I enjoyed the student shows too.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to have a classical station in Detroit, and glad not to have rap on a public station--that's like when "Doonesbury" had a top-40 public radio station.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great station. David Wagner knows his music.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get it streaming. I heard in on the porch of a house at the Heidelberg project this summer. What happened to Ann D?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it too! I was sad to see WQRS go away, as well as the Harmony House Classical store on Woodward. I figured what does that say about our culture around here? That was about the same time Kid Rock and Eminem became popular too, yeeecchh! I do miss that old WDTR format too, Liked the Sunday night Old N Gold Show, and The Friday eve Magic Mike Young Show, but none the less am glad to have the longhair music back.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely the best!

The DSO now has a true home again.

Arts news and activities around the city have a voice.

Yeah to Wagner, Felson and Goggin and the initial work by Ann D.

As well as the jazz side from Mowad from WDUQ in Pittsburgh who has always been outstanding.

Great stuff!

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so glad that there is an outlet for Classical music again in Detroit. I missed WQRS. When 'QRS became "the Edge" I called it the "Edge of Abyss". The "music"? they played was absolutely horrible. All for more money. WQRS was making money at the time, but for idiot that had to change the format, not enough. To this day, I will not listen to 105.9 as a protest to what they did to music lovers in the Detroit area.

I'm kind of glad DeLisei is gone. She tried, but really didn't know much about the genre she was playing.

I have had the extreme pleasure of playing a couple of jobs with Dr. Dave Wagner. He is an accomplished organist. He worked in Center Line as organist at St. Clements for quite a while. I think Dave has retired from that position. I saw him when I was playing with the Plymouth Symphony, and he said he was going to retire from (as he put it, St. Clem's)

I have also had the pleasure of playing under the baton of Charles Greenwell. Chas knows his stuff, and although he programs some obscure works at times, he does an excellent job of preparing an orchestra. He currently conducts the Southern Great Lakes Symphony Orchestra.

Since most of the people that will read this thread like Classical music, I would like to ask you to support your local community orchestra. The DSO is doing wonderfully, but many of the community orchestras need support in the way of audience, and especially financial support.

Symphonies in St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe and Southfield are experiencing financial crises. The Lake St. Clair Symphony, of which I and my good friend on this forum, Hornwrecker are involved is trying to mount a season. The LSCSO was in such financial straits last year, that they didn't have a regular season at all. This could also be the last year for the Grosse Pointe Symphony. It's sad , the quality of the music is very good, but it's hard to compete against the big boys downtown.

It's actually cheaper to go to a community orchestra concert than going to a movie.

Anyway, rant over...

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Ann was a knowledgeable and enthusiastic presence that is sadly missing from some classical formats around the country. I listen to several streaming classical stations around the world and many are as dry as burnt toast. Ann brought an inclusiveness that was lacking at QRS and sometimes could be better at RCJ.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been a financial supporter of WRCJ since their first pledge drive in the spring. Wonderful station and nice to have the morning Sousa alarm back. The DSO Unmasked program on Sunday is wonderful. And if you miss it on Sundays you can get it streaming on their website. And sad to say, the economic problems in this state are hurting many of our wonderful local arts organizations. I encourage everyone to go to these concerts, because some are free, and those that are not are a steal at the price.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I like the classical...

I Still miss the House Music!!!!!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, are you on Theresea Hill's mailing list?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhh, Hornist, you're boycotting the wrong station. WQRS was 105.1.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to be... I will call her to get on it again....

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very happy that classical music is back on the radio here. 56 minutes of pure music, no commercials! Yipee! Soon as i found out about WRCJ, i couldn't tune it in fast enough. It currently resides at my #2 button on the car stereo.

Is it just me or does anyone else keep their recall button stations in numerical order? Like 89X is one, 90.9 is two and so on...

*a tad anal retentive*

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm.....An anal retentive girl who plays with beads and likes classical ?

Have we met ? :-)

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hah! Jewelry beads...not the "other" kind. And no,i don't believe we have met. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.