Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Swing Dance in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fixedgear
Username: Fixedgear

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a good place in Detroit to swing dance?

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't anyone Google or Ask.com anymore?

I'm not a dancer at all, but this site came up first in a Google search:

Welcome to Dtownstomp.com your portal to all the information about swing dancing, lindyhop, and jazz in the Detroit metro area.
http://www.dtownstomp.com/port al/index.php

Gogo

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen - If you read the site at all you'd see that most everything is for dancing in Ann Arbor, with the exception of the Big Dance November 11th at the Masonic Temple (which is a great dance to go to for both dancers and non-dancers alike).

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So then ... yes there is a good place in Detroit to swing dance?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3215
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Fixedgear.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gogo...I posted the link to that site because it is a forum dedicated to swing dancing and other types of dancing in the Detroit area. Who better to ask than an audience of folks who enjoy dancing? I'd be asking them...not us DYes generalists!! Beyond their calendar, Dtownstomp folks who probably would be willing to answer such questions.

Gogo

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect the poster wanted swing dancing info specific to Detroit and that is why it was posted on a Detroit forum. If you want to drive to Ann Arbor, Cleo, Waterloo Ontario, then I'm sure you'll find some sort of swing dancing. But as it pertains to Detroit or even any of the nearby suburbs. There isn't really much to choose from.

The Atomic Dog had a swing dance night once upon a time that was just ok. They may still have it.

If you enjoy west coast swing, there is a dance at the Amber House in Warren on Wednesday evenings. The atmosphere is equivalent to a VFW hall.

And I've heard that Cliff Bell's has a big band on wednesday and I've been told some of the old timers have been known to get up and dance a bit.

If you are interested in Country Western swing then the Diamond Back Saloon has swing mixed in with its country music.

But in general, I think the answer to the original question is still, unfortunately, no.

Fixedgear
Username: Fixedgear

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gogo. The only places I found in my searches were in Ann Arbor. I was looking for something in Detroit, but it looks like I'm out of luck.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5162
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swing music is long gone. Gave away to Hip Hop and sex dances.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.