Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Shopped at Macy's ?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been shopping at Macy's?

I ask this as in Chicagoland the backlash against the name change is having impact as sales volume is way off not just at State Street but all former M-F stores. Granted in Detroit our emotions were attached to Hudson's, but from what people of said the stores appear to be far less appealing as Macy's.

Ken

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 617
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been in any Macy's, but for years I have received the mail catalogs and have recently received store circulars. I'm very unimpressed and am worried about now having to travel a long way to shop at Lord & Taylor (which left Dearborn). Macy's clothes look cheap, the house brand looks really cheap. Nothing there for a professional woman, in my opinion. Nothing I've seen has made me want to go in and shoop.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been to a few Macy's on the East, and the clothes there, tend to be kinda cheap. The stores tend to be kinda junky too. I was a little concerned when I heard Macy's bought out the Hudson stores, but so far everything looks about the same.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macy's has a special website just for the State Street store.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go Chicago. I wouldn't shop there either. The state street store was a legend, and if Macy's thinks they can take a dump on it and people will keep coming, they're nuts.

In fact, I might go so far as to say that the history of that store was the main reason so many people shopped there. I rarely went to marshall fields elsewhere, only the state street location when I was there.

I am very proud of Chicago.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macy's Somerset seems cleaner than when it was Marshall-Field's. Always seems busier when I go there, too.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Macy's absorbed our Seattle based Bon Marche, things got cosmetically better for a time (the Bon had always looked a bit dusty) but then about six years ago they really took a dive: closed all the restaurants and fun departments (toys, electronics, books, sewing supplies, pharmacy) and scrambled to make the store look as much like the new Nordstrom as possible (Nordstrom, which took over what had been the beautiful, classy, Frederick & Nelson store, looks like a hotel gift shop)

I think this could have been handled much more gracefully by Macy's. They have the very New-York centric idea that all of us poor slobs in the sticks think Macy's spells class. To me, Macy's spells Sears. But at least Sears sells useful stuff at decent prices.

I used to always spend a night in Chicago prior to Christmas, so I could do my Christmas shopping at Fields, have everything wrapped, and then take the train to Omaha. I'm not sure what I'll do this year.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to go there about a month ago but the Oakland Mall store was completely understaffed so I left. As far as I could tell, (I only got as far as the shoe section) it looked exactly the same and they still carried the name brands that I typically buy.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marshall Field's in the Detroit area was nothing to write home about. Personally I've had better experiences in the stores since they became Macy's. They also seem to have some better customer service policies.

But who needs Macy's anyway now that the Barney's Co Op is open at Somerset!!!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shop at Macy's? NO!!!!! That place is boring after it eat up Marshall Field's that eat up Hudson's.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to Macy's since the conversion; I guess I have no desire to see what they've 'done' with Marshall Field's. I hear they have shopping carts? Eh.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10816
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macy's, Marshall Fields, Hudson's, they all had the same old shit. Boycott them Chicago, then they will close up, that will show them!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only Macy's I wanna shop at is on 34th St in New York...

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the MF/Macy's on State Street in Chicago on Sunday. Hardly anything had changed except for new signage, although the building still has the Marshall Field plaques on the outside. The food court still has the names "Field's Grill" etc. The history section on the top floor was still the same, and it looks like they will do a 'magical' Christmas display in the windows too. I noticed the atriums had much better lighting and they fixed the elevator glitch where you could go to the very top floor where they used to make the Frango chocolates. The vacant floor offered amazing views of the city and an excellent place to take pictures.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that they're building a gigantic Macy's flagship store on the Hudson's block.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Martians have landed in New Jersey.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and the Centurians, too have landed to shop at Macy's.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been to the Detroit (Somerset--Troy), Grand Rapids (Rivertown Crossing--Grandville) & Chicago (Water Tower) Macy stores. They all look as if they only changed the name and not in merchandise. Is there any upcoming alternatives? It's bad that we have this monstrocity in the majority of large urban areas.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the State Street Macy's website.

http://www.visitmacyschicago.c om/

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Macy's at Somerset- or however the high rollers spell it- warning: take plenty of money or have a rather huge line of credit-
They weren't giving anything away-

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.