Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Broderick Tower out for bid! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Broderick Tower is officially out for construction bids now. Last summer there were plans out for this work that I assume were for prelim budget pricing. This one appears to be the actual bidding process for all trades.

Bids are due Nov 13 unless there is an extension. Based on the due date for bids, work could start on the building by the end of the year. We know they've been completing financing for awhile now and that the tax credits have already come through, so this fits the timeline you would expect.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I wasn't a white collar worker, I would totally bid on that job (even if I had no knowledge of construction trades).

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the people who do the bidding will probably have their white collars on while they put together their bids and do the inspection walk through. People behind projects like that usually don't do the actually work too. They are just the bank roll behind it.

Way to be ostentatious

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3219
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More great news. The Broderick is a real lynch pin in the Stadiums / Grand Circus / Woodward boom town. If the Whitney could come back online with the Broderick an energy tipping point would be unavoidable.

The penthouse[s] with views into the baseball stadium should sell for phenomenal prices.

This building clearly has the best vistas in that part of town and is right in the middle of everything.

Detroit Rises!
Broderick Tower

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After posting the above picture, I forgot to ask if anyone knows if there are any structural limitations that would prevent cutting windows through of whale painting side, such as elevator shafts?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct. Those are elevator shafts. Unless you put windows in both the walls and the elevators ;)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4627
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, being that the building is so thin, it was to either include the elevator shaft within the building, or attach and elevator tower to the building. I'm glad they took the former.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 713
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan-- I believe you're familiar with the Lansing area. Your comment about adding an elevator tower reminds me of that ugly brown sheet-metal elevator housing addition on the east side of the Boji Tower. That building never looked better than when it was first built, and the various additions since then haven't helped its looks (though admittedly its marketability).

As for the Broderick, I'll believe it when I see it.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really, really, really, really worried about this pending glut of downtown condos on the way. Seriously, the Book-Caddy is one thing, but who's gonna buy all these condos? Especially with this economy. I guess newly renovated abandonedness is better than old abandonedness.
Don't get me wrong, I'm root, root, rooting for the home team here, but seems like we need more office space renovation than residential space renovation.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4628
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you read the recent reports for downtown Detroit explaining how many more residential space the area can absorb?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two studies alone came last month and showed that Downtown could support more residents and retail. There is a reason why Detroit the hottest real market in region, why home sales are in the city, while rest of the region see declines. I expect the city to keep proving the doubters wrong.

http://www.detinvfund.com/Repo rtFinal_0601005.pdf

http://www.downtownpartnership .org/ddp/newsroom/Downtown_Det roit_in_Focus.pdf

(Message edited by eric on November 02, 2006)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you read the recent reports for downtown Detroit explaining how many more residential space the area can absorb?

Yes, I have. Being able to support more residential is one thing. Convincing enough people to pay $200,000 and up to buy all of these places is another matter.
Trust me, I'd like nothing more than for it to happen. Hell, I'm one of the ones who DOES live in the D. But it just seems like we're way too ahead of ourselves. Then again, it takes YEARS to restore these buildings, so maybe the region will be ready when the buildings are.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4630
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the reports. It's not an accident so many condos in the B-C were sold the other week.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These will be rental anyway, for the requisite 5 years. And I bet the building will fill up immediately.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4633
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good point, Mind Field.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more worried about when the tax abatements are up and whether or not people will start to flee the city again due to the higher taxes or will they play a shell game and move to new condo and new developments so they can keep there taxes down.

That won't be good for the city.

Jonnyinlaguna
Username: Jonnyinlaguna

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if they are ever going to take down those hideous advertisements that are covering up the whale mural? I have always been a big fan of Wyland and have visited his studio on the PCH in the heart of Laguna many times. Hell if they take down the advertisements we could have a touch of Laguna in Detroit.

Here is a cool link to a good article about Wyland.

http://www.bajainsider.com/env ironment/sea-cortez-conservati on.htm

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope to God they get rid of that mural during the renovation.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, get rid of the whales please.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing tackier than a Wyland gallery is a Kincaid gallery.

But as far as the Broderick Tower - it has location, location, location, as they say.

(Message edited by sknutson on November 03, 2006)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do people focus on such little things like whale pictures or no whale pictures? Only in Detroit do people place so much focus on such irrelevant issues and not on what matters most. The project is in progress and will happen. Rehabbing the building and getting people to live downtown is what is important.

Regardless of what any of the controversy is, the project is currently happening and once it is completed it will be the finest high rise in Michigan. You will not be able to find anything like it between Chicago and New York City.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am really, really, really, really worried about this pending glut of downtown condos on the way.

I'm not worried. A few dozen condos simply isn't that many to absorb in a region of 5 million people. In this case, they will be rentals for the first 5 years, which will be even easier to fill up.

I'm not particularly worried about the NEZ expiration, either. I *am* worried about making sure the important pieces are in place to sustain the revitalization of downtown, which includes better transit, cleanliness, code enforcement, streamlined city services (including privatization where necessary), smart zoning to improve walkability, maybe a modest lowering of taxes across the board, etc. (Some of these pieces are already in place or look to be coming into place soon.)

Jonnyinlaguna
Username: Jonnyinlaguna

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow I never knew his art was so despised in the city of Detroit.

I think the BT is an amazing project that will draw more people into the New Detroit. I was simply asking if the mural was going to be uncovered when the project is complete. Public art can play a great role in the revitalization of cities. If cities don’t have culture they are missing a vital piece needed to rise above their gritty image. Even if the mural is covered or removed I still hope this project moves forward and is successful. Sometimes we don’t notice something is missing until it is gone.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johny,
That's because it isn't gone until it's missing.

Sorry, that was too obvious to leave alone on a Friday. I don't have anything against the whales, but everyone I know (who isn't a forumer) refers to the Broderick as The Whale Building, but none of them know what the whales are even there for. I was more upset to see Yzerman come down from Campus Martius than to see the whales covered up.

Llyn

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple other points should be noted regarding new condos...

First, the more types and price levels of units available, the more likely it is that a potential buyer will find something they like. This is a good thing and expands the market.

Second, the more people that are living downtown, the more people will want to move downtown. To a certain extent it can be a self-propagating type of thing. Someone moves downtown. Their friends come to visit. They like it and want the same thing. More people move downtown. Then there's more things to do and places to shop. Someone new moves downtown, their friends come to visit...

Finally, it's just a hot market now. People really want to move downtown. From the continuing activity, it appears there is still a pent up demand. I believe time will prove to see a continuing boom in units sold.

BTW, some of the new projects are for sale units, not rentals. I believe this will open up the market even more. People have been wanting to buy, but up till now the tax credits have made nearly all the units rental units.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 757
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am really, really, really, really worried about this pending glut of downtown condos on the way. Seriously, the Book-Caddy is one thing, but who's gonna buy all these condos?

What pending glut of downtown condos?

Metro Detroit has a population of 5 million people, and there isn't even ONE condo in downtown Detroit.

Sometime in early 2007, a handful of people will move into their new condos in the Vinton building, and make history as the first condo owners in downtown Detroit.

Over the next few years, downtown Detroit will add a few hundred condo units (mostly converted from rental units), but this will only start to fill the existing demand.

If the BC can sell 40 downtown condos in four hours, there will be no problem selling a few hundred downtown condos over the next few years.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on the head Erikd,

BTW, I always include Windsor into the total population of Metro Detroit (6 million).

I believe if a developer turned every abandond building in Detroit into a condo right now they would fill up in a matter of months.

But nothing would have the views of the Broderick that top floor could go for $5m.

Or imagine it a three story condo!!!

The area is already nice, it could go for more.

Does anyone know what the cost to renovate the building? 313

Llyn

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe I've seen 32 million as the number...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At $32million, that's a very profitable development right now in Detroit.

With the Book selling out that fast; makes the market look strong for high-rise living in Detroit. 313

Rjlj

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the Broderick will contain two story condos.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats going on with the loft development on the corner of grand river and woodward?

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wyland is a CCS boy isnt he? Show some pride!

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was 70million

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if someone came and renovated all of the abandoned buildings, and built infill, and then had the money to wait untill everything got filled up, downtown would be completely revitalized really fast.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Construction expected to start in 3 to 6 months.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/broderick70.aspx

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any new exterior lighting planned, so it looks good on tv during National Televised Tiger Games??

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the picture from the 20's when Broderick Tower was the most well lit building in Detroit. The top looked spectacular when it was fully lit!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will look good just having lights in the windows again. I'm sure there will be exterior lighting. Hopefully it will be bright enough to be a dramatic beacon on the night skyline.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture #1 of the Detroit Building Quiz appears to be one of the 4 corner balconies near the top of the Broderick.

These will undoubtedly be the highest balconies in downtown. They look small, but what a view!!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exterior lighting like this would be Niiice!

grand circ at nite

[image courtesy WSU Virtual MC]

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pic Rrl! That early pic shows the entablature that once graced the top of the building (dark embellishments at the very top). What is not apparent is the large cornice that once was below those entablature's.

Unfortunately since their removal in the 1950's (the cornice removal era in Detroit), the building top has always had that "incomplete" look to it.

Kraemerdesigngroup
Username: Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj - there will be some two-story units, but most are single floor units. The goal was to put one unit for each corner. However, there are a few studios and one bedroom units that are not on a corner.

Detroit313 - although the construction cost my be around $32 million,that is no where near the actual cost of developing the project. You need to add land costs and soft costs. Soft costs include financing costs, legal, accounting, architectural, engineering, etc. In a typical development, soft costs are around an additional 25%.

Rrl - exterior lighting is planned to match the historic lighting at the top. Also, there will be additional lighting on the facade at street level.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear about the exterior lighting, this building definitely deserves it.

Gistok the balconies are very small. I doubt you could put anything out there except a very tiny table and two chairs. Great place to take in the city though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/109519148/in/set-720575 94076910241/

(Message edited by southen on November 14, 2006)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kraemerdesigngroup

I still think it would be great if you guys at least attempted to replicate the cornice at on the building. You do not necesarily have to do it in the same material to save on cost. Up here in Flint they have replicated the amazing cornice anf original details of the First Street Loft Project using Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic and it looks absolutly stunning.

Rjlj

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby, if you pay for it! No really, it would look really nice and hopefully at some point the decrative parts at the top will return but don't let that take way at how spectacular the building will be once it once it is brought back to life. I encourage you to move in and be part of the condo association ot bring back the decrative cornice.

Gumby

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey if I could afford to I would be first in line to move in this building. Right now, I have to focus on getting into grad school.

Gumby

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me wrong I think the project will still be awesome without the cornice as well. At least fixing the building up gives them the opportunity to do that at a later date.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.