Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Toledo City Councilman At It Again... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the Toledo City Councilman who advocated luring unhappy Detroit business to Toledo as his plan for Toledo's economic growth ?

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/71680.htm

He (George Sarantou)did it again last nite at the Lucas County Commissioner's debate. Toledo's Fox affiliate carried the debate.

I know from a reliable source that he was pretty bugged when bombarded with e-mail from Detroiters in response to comments back in the spring. I'm going to e-mail him regarding last nite's comments.

george.sarantou@toledo.oh.gov

But here's an interesting trend (to me, anyway...): competing for jobs not with other countries like India and Mexico, but with other States and neighboring cities. TOLEDO, for cris'sakes ! Scary trend.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Economy 2006: We Cannibalize Our Own!

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah. Like TOLEDO is the land of opportunity!!!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many of the forumers on DetroitYES advocate luring businesses from the suburbs downtown? I don't see how much different that is.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're a big city mayor and you have a problem: crime, slow economy etc. just blame it on Detroit. There, there! Don't you feel so much better!
Perhaps, Detroit should send him a bill for the therapy session!

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm grew up in Toledo, so I feel I have the right to say this:

The Michigan won the 1835-1836 Toledo War, because Ohio got Toledo.

(The truth of the matter is that we did win, because we got the Upper Peninusla with all its mineral and forest riches.

Bob Cosgrove

Yvette248

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds,

After decades of the suburbs luring businesses from the city, you can not possibly be against Detroit doing the same thing? Just to even the playing field just a little?

Nevertheless, we are all one region, so I'm not against both prospering. I'm just remarking on how Toledo thinks it has a better reputation than Detroit! I'd be willing to put money on that straw poll.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Toledo does not currently have an Economic Director - their loopy Mayor, Carty Finkbeiner, is wearing that hat right now (according to him). You may remember him from a few years back - he suggested that the problem of airport noise be solved by encouraging the hearing impaired to live in the homes closest to the airport...

Anyhoo...it just struck me as frightening that the most significant idea for job growth from their city admin. is to "borrow,steal,cajole" it from a neighboring city.

Lazy politicians...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He may also not have noticed that Detroit businesses aren't moving, They're going Bankrupt. He can have all the failed businesses they want.

Dds

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

After decades of the suburbs luring businesses from the city, you can not possibly be against Detroit doing the same thing? Just to even the playing field just a little?

Yvette248:

Is it fair to say the suburbs have lured businesses away? GM is still downtown after all these years. Ford and Chrysler have always been in the 'burbs. As are all of the tech companies that make up "automation alley." I would venture to guess that most businesses (be they independent, mom and pop, restaurant, etc. or otherwise) left or are leaving the city for the same reasons the citizens left or are leaving the city.

Anyways, back to the my original point being, I'm not against Detroit luring business in from anywhere. I hope for it. However, I don't believe it crazy, atrocious or needing a letter writing campaign just because another city (same state or not) is trying to better itself by becoming more appealing to businesses or targeting businesses to relocate. It's business! I believe by your post you sort of agree. We are in the same region, after all.

As for Toledo's reputation, in the past 15 years or so, the population of Toledo has pretty much remained stable (around 610,000-- not monster big). On the other hand, Detroit's has been dropping. With that being the overall trend,(I'm pretty sure there are other trends to look at, also) it's easy to understand, regardless of the way "Detroit is Rising" nowadays, and how we view ourselves, why Toledo would think this about their reputation compared to Detroit. The folks at ToledoYES! are probably discussing how in the heck would business not choose Toledo over Detroit.

Yvette248

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with part of your post except for the fact that you had to have been comatose to not know that GM just purchased the RenCen and RELOCATED downtown a few years ago.

Also, in the interest of inter region harmony, Detroit metro has 4 million residents, and every place in the midwest (including Ohio) is facing a declining population. Toledo's economics, environment, arts, and entertainment can not even come close to matching ours, which may be why they are resorting to this desperation pitch.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the difference: every city/state endeavors to make itself attractive to business -transportation, taxes, etc....how often, if ever, have you heard a SPECIFIC CITY's businesses targeted ?

Yes, I realize Detroit is relatively close, but to mention twice in 12 months that Toledo's fix is to entice Detroit's unhappy businesses to relocate, well, it reeks of a lack of; vision, creativity, intellect, business-sense, and let's face it- class & tact.

Maybe I'm just naive...

Dds

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I agree with part of your post except for the fact that you had to have been comatose to not know that GM just purchased the RenCen and RELOCATED downtown a few years ago.

Sure, GM relocated a mile south from Cadillac Place in '96. They relocated within the city, not from the suburbs, which is what I thought the issue was... taking businesses from one city to another, not from New Center to the CBD.

I agree with Raggedclaws, it is a tactless act, but I would have to assume that behind closed doors, a lot of struggling rust-belt cities are looking for corporations in targeted areas that appear as unstable. Detroit's rebirth, as any city on the verge of change, is anything but stable.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Sarantou was defeated last night in his run for Lucas Co commissioner.

Yvette248

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guess they thought he was pretty stupid too.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to be a broken record, but I just cannot let the wild propaganda go unchecked.

The US economy is by just about any measure outpeforming most industrialized countries, over the just about any time period (1 yr, 3 yr, 5 yr, 20 yr) you want to look at. We're creating jobs and growing. We have higher income and lower structural unemployment that most of Europe. This notion of "canabalism" is just untrue.

The industrialized world has had on the whole a nearly unbroken 50 year run of growth, innvovation, peace and prosperity. This is a golden age, in which by their own stupidity Detroit and Michigan have declined to participate.

Don't blame Toledo for capitalizing on our failures and attempting to offer the pathetic refugees of Southeast Michigan an alternative.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.