Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Are you going to vote on Tuesday? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why (or why not) are you going to vote on Tuesday?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes-
Granholm for Governor
Amos Williams for AG
and NO on all 5 proposals

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...

Because I don't want Dick DeVos to be Governor and because I want Proposal 2 to pass...

...and because I want to help the Democrats retake the house...

(Message edited by thejesus on November 04, 2006)

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll vote, but I hope it will count!

Does anyone else suspect the machines are rigged by the ruling class (republicans)? Maybe not around here so much but in enough places to control politics at the national level.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll vote, so the Republicans get enough votes to continue rigging the machines, just to upset Ventura67.

Proposals:
1-no
2-yes
3-yes
4-no
5-no

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, straight democrat, no x 5

cause i don't like the republicans any more (i'm a former republican), and have strong feelings on the proposals, and i fear some will pass that i really don't feel should.

edited cause i realized it sounded too much like a soapbox. sorry.

(Message edited by scottr on November 04, 2006)

(Message edited by scottr on November 04, 2006)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 895
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan to vote. By secret ballot.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 928
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me, voting is like a bad habit I have not yet, nor will likely ever, overcome. :-)

Seriously, I habitually vote after thoroughly studying every possible perspective available. It seems to be from some innate drive. It's an enigma to me why I bother, but I do.

Arizona (or at least Maricopa county) publishes a thick booklet long before each election. It exhaustively explains all the issues in a surprisingly strict multipartisan, unbiased way. I wish Michigan would provide that resource for serious voters.

The closest resources to that I've found in Michigan are http://www5.vgt2004.org/a-mi-g annett/ and http://publius.org/ but they're still lacking in detail.

I too have doubts that my vote will count but if it doesn't, it won't be because I didn't vote conscientiously!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could anyone vote no on 4?

I voted in the primary but have failed to get my absentee ballot for this one. Devos and Bouchard are terrible candidates, but Granholm and Stabenow have terrible records. Michigan is screwed for a good while now regardless of who wins.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes,,, Democrat,,because I don' want Evangelicals telling me how to live,, and a certain no to blowing doves brains apart to help hunters feel like real men and women. I wish the doves could reverse it and see how the hunters would like it.
Now Kirk Gibson is on the radio saying that these "extremist groups "( the ones trying to protect the doves) are out to ban hunting in Michigan altogether,,,,oh geez what next...

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mackinaw, i am strongly against proposal 4. I feel the greater good must be balanced against property owners rights. this proposal puts all the power on one side. i will admit the power has in the past been abused, but this is not the answer. and i don't like the idea that some owner of a parking lot in downtown detroit could kill a great project (say a headquarters building for a large company that will provide tangible and intangible benefits to the city, but is still a private development) all because he's holding out for far more than it will ever be worth. greed should not take precedence over the greater good.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4645
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and no on all 5 proposals out of principle.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not received my voter registration paperwork from the S.o.S since moving to Detroit. I filled out the paperwork when I changed my address, and I've got a paper thing that said I registered to vote, but they said 6 weeks ago I would receive something in the mail. {confused}

What office would I call Monday to verify that I am indeed registered?

Jimaz

Post Number: 933
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, go here to determine whether you're registered: https://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/m ivote/voterSearch.aspx

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 304
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a bunch Jimaz!

Jimaz

Post Number: 934
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, that was quick. Democracy in action! :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on November 05, 2006)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America. All branch's of our government are controlled by republicans. Do you think George Washington would approve of this?

Ask yourself, have we captured, or killed Osama?This Tuesday, when you vote, think with your brain.

Detroitej72

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised how many people on this thread are against Prop. 4, given the havoc eminent domain abuse has wrought on Detroit in particular. Eminent domain, while a good idea in principle, is abused so often by the collusion of government and corporate interests that it desperately needs to be checked.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan to vote straight Libertarian, except that I support Amos Williams for AG. Granholm and DeVos are worthless. There's no 'there' there.

I plan to vote to allow dove hunting, for the simple reason that there's no reason to ban dove hunting while permitting other types. Doves aren't endangered. Banning the dove hunt while allowing everything else makes the state look like a bunch of over-emotional idiots. Besides, nearly every state in the union allows dove hunting.

I also support prop. 4. Eminent domain has been abused too much to entrust it so readily to government. The measure doesn't make ED impossible, it just sets up more checks against abuse.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I sympathize with your Libertarian views, by voting for Libertarians, Greens or most other independents you are simply playing into the hands of the Republicans. Remember, we can all thank Ralph Nader for the Bush Presidency.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4647
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People say this in every election, though. If not to vote for a third party, now, when is it ever safe? I used to be one of those complainers, but I think it's unfair to marginalize third party voters in EVERY election just because all of us believe that the next election is "too important to throw ones vote away." If not in 2006, in 2008?

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have already voted for Granholm (overseas ballot) and voted:

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. No

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 621
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another voter info. site:

http://www.vote411.org/

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4840
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger, using your logic, we can thank Ross Perot for Bill Clinton.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 645
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the rules have changed this year:

Republicans vote on Tuesday.

Democrats vote on Wednesday.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm voting Democrat across the board. I "may" cross over for AG though. Not sure about Levin (part 3) either.

No on all proposals.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No difference? That's an ignorant statement. Anyone informed about issues, no matter how cynical, knows that there is a huge difference between candidates. People who said no difference between Blanchard and Engler can enjoy the legacy that fat John has left us. It might feel good to say it, but it ain't true. Get off your ass and vote.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4654
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette, PLEASE don't switch over for AG. Amos Williams is the best candidate for AG we've seen in quite some time (even better than Granholm, in fact, ranking up there with Frank Kelly). He is certainly a better candidate than Cox. It's unfortunate he'll lose to incumbancy, but maybe he'll be able to put a better campaign together in the next race.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree,

Amos Williams is certainly worthy of your vote. An upstanding citizen with a great record.

Jimaz

Post Number: 942
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia, that's untrue and you know it.

Please muster just a little bit of respect for your country's elections, if that's at all possible for you.

Wouldn't you rather delete that post?

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do thank Ross Perot for Bill Clinton.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4656
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, don't even bother wasting your breath on that.

Jimaz

Post Number: 946
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, crap. It's a blatant attempt to fraudulently influence an election. Even if it's only intended as a joke, someone needed to call him out. So I did.

All Americans vote on Tuesday, regardless of party. Don't be fooled.

(Message edited by Jimaz on November 05, 2006)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 793
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am voting.

1 - Yes
2 - No
3 - No
4 - Yes
5 - Yes

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4658
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, if you think anyone on this board doesn't know the date of the election than you're underestimating us. Take one step back for just one moment, please.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan,

DYessers arent as intelligent as youd like to think.

Jimaz

Post Number: 948
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DYessers won't let deception go unchallenged.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3234
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LATE BREAKING NEWS!

Well it just came out on the 11 PM news. Those Republicans who control the State Legislature have flip-flopped again. They have jammed through a last minute unfair election law on Michigan hoping it would go unnoticed.

Now Democrats are only allowed to vote on Tuesday.

Republicans are only allowed to vote on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!

How is that fair?? Three days to one!

That is why the Republican majority needs to be removed in Lansing!

Jimaz

Post Number: 949
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, crap. Everyone vote on Tuesday, November 7, and let's be done with it.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, okay, guys. I haven't heard anything about Cox to make me vote against him, but I would be willing to give Amos a shot. I just don't know anything about the guy (I've been ignoring campaign ads for the last 2 weeks.)

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amos williams, of Detroit.

Former Detroit Police Officer
Vietnam War Veteran
Trial Lawyer
Democrat

Something to vote against Cox on: moral issues; cheated on wife.

:-)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ but I thought having a mistress was the whole point to getting married.

I plan on voting as long as the Republicans at my polling place let me. I work at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and vote in Detroit. Think if I hit the polls at 8 a.m. that I'll be able to get to work on time?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4659
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That, and that Williams is just a far more capable leader for our state's Attorney General office. lol Forget Cox's whole affair, he just doesn't stack up to Williams. It's funny how little attention we give the other elected state offices that have huge and direct impacts on our lives (Attorney General and Secretary of State).

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I would not vote for a candidate based on whom they choose to sleep with.
I'd vote for Clinton after his affair.
I'll vote for Cox after his.
I'd love to have a Democrat as A.G. again, but I want to have a qualified man or woman in that office more.
And I also think it'd do our state good to have some diversity when it comes to statewide offices (isn't Richard Austin our ONLY minority statewide office holder?), but when it comes to a position this important... Too bad Butch had to fool around with that hooker.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4660
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? I was joking, thus the "lol." I don't judge Cox on his affair anymore than I did Clinton. And, who said anything about diversity? Williams is the better of the two candidates, IMO. Really, where did that come from?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, e-sarcasm's hard to pick up on. :-)

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to belabor the issue, but here’s an interesting article on the effect of minor-party candidates on Michigan politics.

Minor-party candidates may play big election role

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You bet I'm gonna vote and I don't give a crap about which party as long as I vote for somebody that represents the people and has common sense.

In other words, I'm voting for Bouchard because Stabenow is useless, Creswell because the frick and frack twins spent more money bitching about each other than setting goals and Perles for MSU because he will hire a good coach.

And yes because that worthless Stabenow is going to win and disappear for the next 5 1/2 years I still get to laugh at her when she poses next to another "Dangerously Incompetent" sign.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be remiss if I didn't comment on this exchange:

quote:

While I sympathize with your Libertarian views, by voting for Libertarians, Greens or most other independents you are simply playing into the hands of the Republicans. Remember, we can all thank Ralph Nader for the Bush Presidency.

and:

quote:

People say this in every election, though. If not to vote for a third party, now, when is it ever safe?

I think it's a much better choice to vote for a third-party candidate further down the ballot than at the very top of the ticket (state rep. and so on). It serves as a warning to the major party candidates that they're screwing up, gives Greens & Libertarians something to build on and doesn't improve the odds that DeVil will become our next governor.

Oh, and if anyone wants to know who I'm voting for, my choices are all on-line:
http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/11/endorsements-from-war rendale-blog.html

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be voting simply to cancel out my dad's vote

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was fifth in line at my precinct and the first to get my vote counted. :-)

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If voting were effective, it would have been banned by the government long ago

Jimaz

Post Number: 962
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FBI Investigating Va. Voter Calls

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.