Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Old Redford in flames! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blaze Spreads Through Detroit Businesses

Early morning fire destroys apartment house, businesses in northwest Detroit

(Message edited by Ramcharger on November 06, 2006)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any word on the state of the theater?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer. RIP, Meyer's Rexall

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesnt look like its anywhere near the theater.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2694
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops, a closer look reveals that it's the building kittycorner from Meyer's. Southwest Corner of GR/Lahser. Used to be a Loan place.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7070
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A LOAN PLACE? Nooooooooooooooooooo.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like code speak for PAWN SHOP lol

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gr-lahser

It's this building, looking southeast

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sad...but I love that the pic of the building is so old.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear the grand ol' dame of a theatre is safe and sound. Someone should really change this headline so folks don't have a heart attack.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6989
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, the fire was IN old Redford?!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My worst fears were true. The fire destroyed the classic old 1919 CF Smith Building, the nicest building on the intersection.
redford

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a tragedy. The facade could still be saved if it is really worth saving.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 757
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so depressed.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

redford

redford

redford

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn. Now I can see a preview of how the riots made the city look.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

redford

56packman

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following message went out to recipients of the Redford theatre's email list concerning the fire:

You may have heard about the multiple alarm fire at the corner of
Grand River and Lahser early this morning.

Fortunately for us the fire was about 1/2 block south of us on the
other side of both Lahser and Grand River. The C.F. Smith building
(built in 1919( on the southwest corner was destroyed. The Redford
Theatre was not endangered.

Will and I checked out the theatre building this afternoon and
everything is fine, not even a smoky smell inside.

The intersection of Lahser and Grand River remained completely closed
at 4:00 this afternoon as utility crews were digging up the pavement
and a team from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were
investigating the scene. Lahser Road south of Grand River is covered
with rubble that fell from the second story of the building.

Traffic was being routed in a circular fashion along Redford,
McNichols, Greydale and Orchard Streets.

Nothing you haven't heard on the news, but important to pass along least rumors start.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tragic. China Clipper was where I went on my first date. Note that was more than a decade ago, so the food was a lot better!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The C.F. Smith Building was a beautiful corner building. I have always been fond of its architecture. The gold colored bricks made it very unique. Indeed, one of the prettiest buildings in that intersection. It's sad to see it destroyed.

(Message edited by royce on November 06, 2006)

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a beautiful building. We need more like it.

Any rumors on the cause?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was housed in the C. F. Smith building originally. Was it a grocery store? When I was a kid in B'ham, C.F. Smith was a small grocery store chain. I can still remember going into the store with my mother, and the shop keeper would take her grocery list and would walk around the store with a long pole with a clamp on the end of it and would pluck the products down from the shelf!!
Talk about personal service!!!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell....great (if sad) photos. Thanks so much for posting.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 950
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 7 just now reported that officials are still trying to determine the cause.

Glad the theater is OK. We just went there for the first time on Saturday. It's very nice.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The intersection of Lahser and Grand River remained completely closed
at 4:00 this afternoon as utility crews were digging up the pavement
and a team from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were
investigating the scene."

Why would ATF be on scene here? That means they suspect arson. Does Detroit FD not have a fire investigation unit?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tragically, Freep didn't cover it.
It's on the News' Web site but didn't make Tuesday's print edition.

I'm sure if it were in the suburbs, it would have been in both.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use to spend our hard earned money at the China Clipper on egg rolls, we felt like adults, and oh such an exotic place......we were just kids.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

China Clipper was the place where I fell in LOVE with Chinese food several years ago. This saddens me deeply. I hope there's a plan in the near future to rebuild this corner.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a shame. that building anchored a particularly nice couple of blocks of commercial buildings running along lahser south from GR on the west side of the street.

china clipper was a very neat place a little small but very neat ... for decades it had never been remodeled and was like stepping into a timewarp back into 1940s Detroit, it eventually was remodeled into what looked like the usual u[lesant walk up pictures over the counter type chinese place.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met ATF at the site. They had had a big investigative van truck on the site.

They asked me what I was doing while walking around the intersection. I told them I was taking pictures for DetroitYES, a news website [which is the truth]. They pleasantly accepted that and in return I asked them why they were there, on something I thought would be a local jurisdiction.

They said something about a fire being over a million dollars, something about businesses possibly being involved in interstate commerce... which came off to me as saying, "This is what we tell people because we can't tell you the real reason."

My wild guess is that they had a previous ongoing investigation on a business within the property. But that and a buck gets me a cup of coffee.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ATF investigates many fires of unknown origin, that doesn't necessarily inicate arson.

Bob Cosgrove

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the businesses were defunct - I shot photos of all of them a month ago, and there was precious little going on. China Clipper went out of business two years ago.

Sounds like a landlord job to me.

Which of course seems a little like Devil's Night. If you couldn't sell your house after 1967, come back in the 1980s and burn it down for the insurance.

Rustic

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, up through the 70's the block SOUTH of that one (on Lahser) had what most certainly were some mob business storefronts.

56packman

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic--like, perhaps the Tuxedo place that continued long after all other such businesses left the area?

Drumroll please-post 700!

Rustic

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, hey, I never said nuthin specific ...

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of ironies, direcly across from the CF Smith building was this anti-arson Angels Night Mural.

Angels Night Mural

The breast plate on the buff angel with boxing gloves reads "Motor City Blight Busters".

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall the Marquis on that building in the 70s and early 80s always had some kind of inspirational saying, it would change weekly.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5171
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks around there don't care Even for the Historic C.F. Building. Built before Detroit annexed parts of Redford TWP.

Parts of Old Downtown Reford TWP. is being destroyed for a lack of community unity.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10840
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word on the street is the ATF was looking for Ghettoman and his street prophets, as they had some questions for them pertaining to the fire.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rolled past this eve and the patient will be put out of its' misery tomorrow, I think. The backhoes are in place.
Lotta old memories came back as I drove by...
Going to China Clipper with my folks as a kid for the pressed duck...They put so much MSG in the food that I would drive the waitresses crazy by constantly asking for refills of water. About 20 years ago they got rid of their old neon airplane sign, and I always wonder if a collector got it, or it went into the dumpster.
My first job just down the street in 9th grade as a phone solicitor, selling tix to a police benefit. I was good at it, and that job bought me my first car, a black 71 Eldorado, a bit much for a tenth grader.
Hanging out at my buddies studio in the Dawntreader building twenty years ago. It was an all purpose kinda place, where bands practiced, and both pictures and videos were made. Years before that, it was a men's wear store and I bought my dad a tie there.
Another friend lived above Master's Candies in a huge apt. As we were all broke, it seemed to be everybody's crash pad for a while.
Too bad John George didn't get that place.
I hate to speculate, but I've seen an awful lot of arson in my time here, and that sure looks like a professional job.
The area already looked like a mouth missing a few teeth...now it looks like a mouth missing half of its' teeth.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

confidential to packman: any chance we can get a screening of
"Last Tango in Paris" (with organ music) at the Redford sometime? I'm overdue for a visit.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7024
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good lord, Barnes, the image of you cruising in that Caddy might just haunt me, that is TOO funny.

So you're an old Redforder? I've got cousins that grew up around there...we'll have to remember to compare notes next time we cross paths.

Thanks for the jog down the lane...

56packman

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto: I don't see any screening of "last tango" happening any day soon, we kind of stick to family-friendly fare. Interesting concept though. I wouldn't want to make Brando's words any harder to understand, though. Here's our new schedule of films,........................ Oh- excuse me, MOVIES

January 5 & 6 - The Long, Long Trailer
Plus The Looney Tunes Cartoon "Fox Pop" - $4.00

January 19 & 20 - The Caine Mutiny - $4.00

February 2 & 3 - Monkey Business - $4.00

February 16 & 17 - Pillow Talk - $4.00

March 2 & 3 - Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
Plus Bugs Bunny in "8 Ball Bunny" - $4.00

March 10 - Silent Film Peter Pan accompanied by Lance Luce - $10.00

March 16 & 17 - The Maltese Falcon
Plus Bugs Bunny in "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" - $4.00

March 30 & 31 - Flipper
Plus Daffy, Porky and Tweety in "Baby Bottleneck" - $4.00

April 13 & 14 - Three Stooges Festival - $5.00

April 27 & 28 - Gone With The Wind - $5.00 (no matinee for this weekend)

bring your friends and family and support the only remaining neighborhood movie theatre operating in Detroit.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you have an Indiana Jones flic coming up in a week or too. Right or wrong? A friend of mine who used to attend the Redford in his youth was making a point of seeing it as it was [in his words] the kind of movie he have died to see back then.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is not the HQ for Blight Busters around that intersection?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was very relieved to hear that the Redford Theatre didn't suffer any damage from the nearby fire! My husband and I, along with several friends, have many fond memories of seeing some of our favorite classic movies there.

Some 10 years ago, we took our two boys plus three nephews to see Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland in the 1938 classic The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Several friends and I are already planning to see Gone With The Wind both nights at the Redford in April. Yes, we are huge fans and do travel to attend GWTW events each year. I've seen GWTW over 70 times since 1969, mostly in movie theatres. The last time I recall seeing GWTW at the Redford was in January 1986; my firstborn who turns 21 today went with me (yes, I bought him a $2 ticket so that he could sleep in his carseat next to me).

56packman

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're glad the fire was no where near the theatre, and we're happy THIS didn't happen:

Redford proposal, 1950

a 1950 proposal for a re-front job. The current marquee is what they (the Goldberg brothers) settled on.

Rustic

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks a bit like the Norwest face lift!

56packman

Post Number: 705
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic-the Norwest never had a facelift--that was the original 1937 facade, with some funky thin brick added on the bottom 8' or so, after the mid 70's.

grand river-fenkell

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte, Yes, the blightbusters headquarters is just north of there.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad the CF Building was damaged so far beyond repair. It was a graceful anchor to that corner, even if it was greatly unused. Glad to hear the fire didn't harm the Theatre, but the next time I'm down there for a show it'll seem a little more empty :-(

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove through the area Wednesday night and you could still smell it smoldering.

Charlotte: I was in the Blightbusters HQ's that night as well. As Brandon48202 stated, they are located in an old Mason's building not far from the fire. Its about four stories tall or so and its fairly non-descript but it contains a beautiful sanctuary hall on the 3rd floor that Blightbusters is going to begin raising funds for so it can be used as a community theatre once renovated. Its an incredible space. I wish I had pictures to share.

Detroitkate
Username: Detroitkate

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad's store was one of the destroyed businesses. If any of you know of Mario's Formal Wear (formerly Paul's Tuxedo) Mario is my dad. It is actually directly across from the "Angel's Night" mural. To give you some of the business owner perspective, he is in total shock still. He loved being a part of the community and the community loved him. He said that firemen and policemen that he knew came to give him their support when he went to the site. He stayed there because he thought that the neighborhood needed something hopeful like a Tux store there. All the memories of the people and things that went on there are gone now. He always would talk about how Gil Hill came in and how The Spinners loved his store. Hell, I remember being 7yrs old and playing Barbies on the floor while I waited for him to close up. I said my first swear word in that building! He doesnt know where to go from here. He's just trying to put it all together in his mind and move on as best as possible. I'm going to help him.
I am going to hold a benefit fundraiser for him in January prolly at Magic Bag in Ferndale. The business had been going poorly lately and he couldnt afford insurance on it....so he gets nothing. I hope that all of you who care about Detroit and about local Detroit businessmen who were just trying to do right by their community will come out and support getting him back on his feet. You'll never meet someone more able to put a smile on your face than my Dad. Please help him and the other businesses that lost everything to this tragedy.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best of luck Detroitkate to you and your father. Also, welcome to the forum.

There are many business people like your father trying to make an honest living in the city and too often by the skin of their teeth. I hope your father can pick himself back up and move forward in light of the situation.

I hope the benefit is a success.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry DKate. Keep us posted.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best to your Father, DKate, that was one of the few stores that remained from my ancient childhood memories (G&R Bikes and the former Albert's are still there too, along with the pharmacy and the theater.
CF Smith,

Here's a flyer from CF Smith Stores that I found under my porch when I was a kid.

Rustic

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G&R bikes is a relative newcomer. IT moved to Old redford from GR east of Burt in the 70's.

Rustic

Post Number: 2936
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnes', BTW ... High-test LYE? wtf?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitkate, I'm so saddened to hear about your father's setback. Pass along a big virtual hug from the forum. [hug]

Very nice memories, thanks for a great bittersweet first post.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 644
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

High-test LYE? wtf?

Uses of lye. I knew about the soap making use, but not the food uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S odium_hydroxide#Uses

Detroitkate
Username: Detroitkate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the well wishes. Its really nice that all of you care about what is going on.
Here are some updates to what is going on with everything. The ATF left yesterday and the store owners were allowed to go inside for the first time. My dad saved most of the best tuxes, pictures, an old sewing machine and the cash register (God bless pre-plastic items!) but most of it was gone. They still dont know what happened, but the common rumor is that it was a developer burning out the corner to redevelop, especially seeing as that type of thing has happened a lot in the area and people do want to redevelop the area. Also, they do know that the fire moved FAST and only a major accelerant would cause it to happen as it did.
My dad has moved from saddened to pissed! As I write this, he and my stepmom are there writing "We will not be burned out!" on the storefront. Before all of this happened, my dad was considering closing the shop due to slow business, but now he is going to rebuild the business because he doesnt want the developers to win! He kept saying "everything happens for a reason" after it happened and now he believes was that the reason was to kick his ass and make the business better than it ever was.
They are also really excited about the benefit and want part of the money to go to the people that lived above. Old Redford will not die if my dad has anything to say about it! I will keep all of you updated on the fundraiser and other important info. Thanks again for all the well wishes.

(Message edited by detroitkate on November 11, 2006)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow really great story--Detroit: American City...

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High-test lye

http://www.boyercorporation.co m/

Rustic

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, is that company owned by Borat?
From the website:
Other Boyer Products available
at most quality hardware stores

Brass & Copper Polish
Sewer Root Destroyer
Septic Tank Cleaner
Fire Water Drain Opener
X Powerful Drain Opener
Soluble Pine Oil
Red Penetrating Oil
Neatsfoot Oil
Disco Dance Floor Wax
Copier, Fax & Printer
Supplies and Parts

Jwengrow
Username: Jwengrow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The C.F. Smith building holds a special place in my heart--or did. My Mom and her family lived there for years above "Paul the Tailor". It was the second apartment from the alley. We have several pictures from the late 50's of the apartment inside and of the back lot. This is a very sad situation! My Grandmother lived there up until the late 1980's before she had to move due to health reasons. When word of this fire got to me I was deeply saddened but was hopeful that maybe the place could be saved or restored. From the looks of the pictures it does not look possible. Also the pictures look to me as obvious arson. It is my hope that whoever caused this gets what's coming to them. Strangely enough, I re-visited the old complex for the first time in several years about a year ago just to see it again. I drove through the back alley and took pictures. I'm so glad I did now. It had appeared that the place was being cared for since all the woodwork and the staircases had been replaced in back. My Mother had told me that a judge with the last name Kaufman had owned the building years ago. I was surprised to see that huge rooftop billboard sign had survived the fire. I grew up visiting that building for years and I really hope that those who lived there are ok and that their businesses will survive. I can still remember my dad parking his vehicle at the bottom of the staircase in front of the spray-painted sign: No Parking- Reserved for Paul the Tailor.

Jwengrow
Username: Jwengrow

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitkate---when and where is this fundraiser--I'd like to try to be a part of it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.