Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Macy's Day of Music « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone go? I had a blast the DSO was amazing so was the Gypse group and the jazz group it was def a great time.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great event!
I loved the Hot Club of Detroit (gypsy jazz)
DSO was great.
..now if only that lobby could live up to the music...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the lobby? Are you referring to the new addition? Haven't been there yet...

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah the atrium of the Max is a bit drab... I work for the DSO and find it rather boring and cold...

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i work for the DSO too (hello mcpd1300, whoever you are!), and i find the atrium to be quite lovely.

i say tomato... :-)

i'm glad to hear the positive reviews for day of music though-- it takes a lot of work for us to put it on.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the 'Max' is a great facility and a great addition to the Detroit cultural scene.

The thing that bothers me about the lobby is that it feels like it could be anywhere. Any great space is defined by what faces it. It reminds me of the space at the DIA between the old and the newer additions that seems lifeless without an activity.
If you analyze the 4 sides of the lobby, there are very few clues of what lies beyond the walls.
You have to leave the space and go around the corner (most of the time) to get to the Music Box. The relationship to the street is cut
off by the main stair that seems to lead to nowhere. The main hall elevation has a set of fire doors.
I think the levels of the Orchestra Hall were connected in a nice way and the detailing of the space was handled exceptionally, but the basic planning seems compromised.

I love both of the main performance areas though!

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to express gratitude for everyone who put on this event. It was a great opportunity to see the symphony since I have always wanted to do so, but have been hesitant because of price and a perception that it was too much of a formal event for the casual visitor. Perhaps only a perception on my part but still. Although I didn't care for the dancers, the orchestra sounded great, the hall sounded great, and the conductor was remarkably charming and engaging. Having the ability to explore Orchestra Hall was great since I love Crane's theaters.

I dislike the new Max lobby as well since it looks like the entrance to a typical glass box, suburban office building. But it's nice that the facility exists for such functions, especially when one considers it wasn't long ago that Orchestra Hall itself was near demolition.

My one complaint is that it was nearly impossible to get into some of the smaller music venues since there was such a long line to get in, BUT obviously I realize this is just an indication of success since there were a lot of people there.

I hope the DSO engages the public with other similar events throughout the year.

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey lake superior :-) I work, indirectly, for the DSO over in TM in Orchestra Place :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.