Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Will John Conyers Be The Next House Judiciary Chairman? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Democrats appearing to take control of the US House of Representatives... it begs the question... will John Conyers be the next chairman of the powerful House Judiciary Committee?

Ordinarily such things are up to the seniority system, but Conyers does have his share of detractors. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7036
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

Would be cool to have his drawn-out cadence force every news station to make a more, say, durationable term to replace sound'bite'.

He never says anything in bits and bites.

Gistok

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't want to start another thread on him, but I forgot about John Dingell! With him being the Dean of Congress (51 years in the House), he too will be a very powerful member.

I remember when the Democrats were last in power (before 1992) he was the powerful (and feared)Chairman of the Energy & Commerce Sub-Committee. I wonder what he's gonna get....

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 764
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah. I can't wait to see Conyers get to work. Impeachment hearings, anyone?

Gistok

Post Number: 3041
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm looking forward to having our own Democrat John Dingell investigate fluctuating gas prices... :-)

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so. After two years of ORdette type rantings to impeach, the electorate will figure it out.

And Gistok, why "fluctuating" gas prices? If it's just big oil having control, the prices would never come down. It's called a MARKET. Geez.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers and Dingell are both expected to chair their committees. Pelosi has already said impeachment is off the table but that could change depending upon what investigations reveal.

They need to go after Cheney first - he's the real menace behind the Chimp.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How on earth does Conyers keep getting elected? Is it name recognition? I'm so embarrassed to have him as my congressman, now that I've moved to Hamtramck, I'm seriously considering running against him next election cycle.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-- The Democrats lost the house in 1994, not 1992.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would be sweet if an alumni of WSU law school became the House Judiciary chairman!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7087
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd probably get a new federal courthouse out of it : )

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been watching nonstop CNN. Although the Republicans fear Dingell and Conyers heading powerful committees, they also respect them as "seasoned veterans" who knows how to get things done in Washington politics.

This is a quote from one of the republican talking heads.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers knows how to get stuff done?

Since when?

Even if you look at the 30 years when he was in office and the Dems were the majority party, his list of accomplishments could still be written on the back of a postage stamp with enough room left over for a couple of M&Ms.

Seriously, saying John Conyers "knows how to get stuff done" is like saying Britney Spears is an expert at maintaining a lasting marriage.

Gannon

Post Number: 7062
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or is he a back-room conciliator...and not always rushing to get his name on things?!

Plus, Britney could be that expert unfortunately tied to one unwilling to work with HER!

Lotsa other logical conclusions given the little data we have. I'm not saying I know of either, I'm just revealing some potential gaps in your reasoning, F.

If Conyer's opponents have some respect for him...at least while he wears the coat of power...then there must be something there.

Gistok

Post Number: 3043
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny how some folks are so flippant to call the "price of gas" just the marketplace... looks like $80-$100 billion a year in energy price swings is just the marketplace doing its' finest. It's been hurting the Michigan economy, as well as a lot of industries nationwide.

But I guess if you don't live in Michigan or aren't affected by it, who cares, right?

Well John Dingell cares, and that you can take to the bank.

I'm sure the folks in the industry are not thrilled with that prospect.... and that is what I like to call "Schadenfreude" ... Lowell's (and mine) favorite German expression!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok...$80 to $100 billion is not very much, when you consider the shear size of the global energy market.

Gistok

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, but as the late Illinois senator Everett McKinley Dirksen once said "a billion here, and a billion there, and pretty soon it adds up to real money!" :-)

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I call it the marketplace, it did what it was supposed to do. Prices went up; that did two things;
it suppressed demand and increased supply. Exactly what you want. Lefty pinheads can't understand that.That's why you're lefty pinheads, sorry gamnnnom.

Gannon

Post Number: 7077
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand market dynamics thoroughly, Forty. Complex wave theory is a natural to me, it all its guises...I see harmonics of it everywhere in life.

Just because YOU are too dim to understand the complex language it takes to fully capture even the tiniest portion of the topic doesn't make me a pinhead...although my apparently pointy top might mislead you at first glance.

I only appear left because I'm not rabid right like you! So funny to hear the name calling.

Weak.

You might have to do the new hot 'Karl' move and take some time off to rest and increase your strength.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Gistok, when Dirksen allegedly said that 40+ years ago, a billion meant something. Nowadays, even Bill Gates has too many of them.

Also, whether or not Dirksen actually said that is open to question. http://www.dirksencenter.org/p rint_emd_billionhere.htm

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus-- To nitpick:

A male graduate is an "alumnus." A female graduate is an "alumna." "Alumni" refers to either a group of both male and female graduates, or a group of male graduates. "Alumnae" refers to a group of female graduates.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you're a conservative, you just don't know it. You'll eventually come over to the "dark side", They all do, well, almost all. You're too bright, not like ORD, she will never get it. You will.

Gannon

Post Number: 7081
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTDT.

I wander everywhere that fits, yet will never again take up a descriptor that someone ELSE invents.

I liken it to my living situation.

Most people buy a house and attempt to fit into it...just like most people search out the available groups to join and align themselves with one that most suits them.

I moved into a warehouse, because largely I can make it fit ME and my lifestyle. I just haven't found the warehouse loft of political persuasions...none fit.

I've always been not unlike Groucho Marks or Woody Allen, I would not consider joining any group that would have me. Their standards would obviously be too low, heh.

IF these groups went back to their original intent...perhaps we'd get somewhere...but largely they've lost their direction, their foundational philosophies, their raison d'etre, as it were...and have devolved mostly into self-seeking overweight organisms that are too consumed with their mere existence and power perpetuation to actually get anything good done.

I want to start a Citizen's Party...Power to the People, man. Can you dig it?!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does Conyer's keep getting reelected? Because his views are instep with the majority of his constituents. I and most of my neighbors have happily and proudly voted for Conyers over the years.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does Conyer's keep getting reelected? Because his views are instep with the majority of his constituents. I and most of my neighbors have happily and proudly voted for Conyers over the years.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.