Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Current Pics of Ransom Gillis??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a huge interest in all of the rehab work in brush park
the ransom gillis is my favorite
63 alfred st
where can i get current pics of the house and/or brush park in general???
most current i found was this:
http://www.adrianplatts.com/jp egs/Detroitv/bikeblog/restorat ion.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ps- and any information on the now extinct lakeside trailer park
what is there now????

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few I took in early Spring '06.
Looks like I took these just after they pulled the scaffold that is in the pic from the first post.
Ransom Gillis

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is 'Slumpy'. She's one block south of Mack. I suspect she has slumped a bit more since last Spring. With all the road construction around there I gave up getting to her a month ago. A LOT of the Brush Park area was getting renewed roads it appeared.

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any pictures of what the interior or the house was like?

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious if they are actually renovating the Ransom Gillis or just doing roof and other prep work to attract a developer

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is everyone new around here or something?

Tokennojokin

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I'm new. Also the roof is missing a window in the front

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of the "old" guard have been banished. You can still find them at Hotfudge, if you can stand that droll.

(Message edited by bussey on November 08, 2006)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one dumbass stupid enough to venture in this pile of bricks before the mothballing operation:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 5/05/15/ransom_gillis.htm

The building is just sealed up and is awaiting a developer.

Tokennojokin

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any interior pics before it was a ruin. When it was still a home or was the house not a big deal back then.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually family members of former residents have been contacted (Fox) as well as the last owner of the property before it slipped into complete abandonment. Much research has been done to find interior shots. People have been looking into that for several years, so thats not gonna be solved with a few questions here. There are a few photos of the interior of the carriage house where Pewabic Pottery was formed that are in the Pewabic archives. A photo of the exterior of the carriage house is in the Ferry book. The building that replaced the carriage house was demolished in recent years.

This man has done the most direct research so far for his upcoming book: http://63alfred.com/

His name is John and hes really quite friendly if you want to contact him.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"ps- and any information on the now extinct lakeside trailer park what is there now????"

Just a fence and a field. Was scraped clean a year or so ago.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"ps- and any information on the now extinct lakeside trailer park what is there now????"

Just a fence and a field. Was scraped clean a year or so ago.

Older article, but...

quote:

Detroit adds room for growth

DETROIT - A development team is planning to add luxury homes and a marina along the Detroit River near Grosse Pointe using Detroit's new master plan, which has been updated to identify sites for future housing.

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick will present the revised master plan to City Council this week. The city's planning and development department has spent three years updating the plan, which provides developers, community groups and others with zoning uses, demographic information, detailed maps and development recommendations across 144 square miles.

"This was an enormous project that provides us with another tool to draw new offices, stores, homes and industry to our city, but most importantly future jobs," Kilpatrick said.

The revised master plan, last updated in 1992, divides the city into 10 clusters, or regions. Each cluster is broken down into more specific areas, such as Brush Park at Interstate 75 and Woodward, where more than 120 condominiums have been added in the last three years. The plan details the new homes along with commercial and institutional projects and also recommends areas where more housing, stores or restaurants could be added.

"The master plan is absolutely better, especially with much of the information now available on the Internet," said Rayford Jackson, president of RAS Development in Detroit, which plans to build 38 single-family homes and 84 condominiums along the Detroit River and an inland canal. The 18-acre project is east of Greyhaven Marina Village, a residential marina community near East Jefferson and Conner.

Jackson and his development partner, Grand Sakwa Properties Inc. in Farmington Hills, plan to start work on the $40 million subdivision over the next 18 months. The homes, priced from $500,000 to more than $1 million, will be set along the river or canal and include boat slips or boathouses. The condos will range in price from $250,000 to $500,000 and be located near the water.

The city's master plan still needs final approval from City Council, which is scheduled to hold public hearings on the effort in the coming weeks.

RJ King - Detroit News - Oct 24, 2004 - sorry, don't have the link anymore...

Obviously they missed their 18 month window. I'm sure that I saw a more recent article regarding MEDC tax credits, but I can't find it right now.

And another older article...

quote:

$163M in E. Jefferson plans OK'd to seek tax credits
By Robert Ankeny
• August 09, 2004

Planning for four proposed East Jefferson Avenue residential projects estimated to cost $163 million is moving ahead, as Detroit's Brownfield Redevelopment Authority gave approval July 21 for developers to seek tax credits from the state.

The projects, being managed by Detroit-based Phoenix Development Group L.L.C., range from redevelopment of the classic Whittier Towers complex to the construction of midrise condominium towers at the foot of Alter Road near Grosse Pointe Shores. The brownfield applications call for projects to be started by fall, with all facets eligible for tax credits completed within five years.

The Detroit City Council must approve the applications for up to $10 million in single-business-tax brownfield credits in order for them to go to the Michigan Economic Development Corp., whose board approves tax breaks for such redevelopment projects.

The largest project, called Belle Harbour Estates, is for construction of market-rate units on a 7-acre islandlike site between city and county parks.

Three proposed site plans for Belle Harbour call variously for construction of eight- to 12-story towers, plus six to 10 attached condominium buildings with between four and 10 units each. Estimated cost for the project, including extensive clearance of old buildings and storage tanks, is around $60 million.

At 8344 E. Jefferson, west of Owen Park, a 2-acre site is to house 96 two- to four-bedroom condominium units in five- to six-story low-rise buildings with an estimated cost of about $26 million.

River Park Village, at 415 Burns, is to be a two-phase, $19 million project. Phase I calls for renovation of twin midrise buildings of the present Whittier complex into 140 one- and two-bedroom units. Phase II proposes construction of a mixed-use building with 25,000 square feet of retail and commercial space below 60 residential lofts.

The fourth project, Whittier Tower Regatta, also has two phases. Phase I is to be renovation of the 15-story main Whittier tower into 165 market-rate units plus 30,000 square feet of retail and office space at a cost of about $21.2 million. Phase II, estimated to cost about $38 million, calls for construction of 180 units of market-rate residential space.

Robert Ankeny - Crains Det Business- Aug 9, 2004 - again don't have the link anymore

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, why asphalt shingles?

Didn't the original roof have slate?

Even if not, wouldn't slate look so much better on such a showcase house?

Just nitpicking, I couldn't be happier that its being saved.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5978
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura, the most recent work was simply to stabilize and seal the structure from the elements. The ashphalt roof simply keeps the weather out...

As for Llyn's articles, always take anything said by the Phoenix Development Group with a grain of salt.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or salt substitute. I personally use the real thing. Salt is needed by the body for proper functioning of the nervous system.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albert Kahn designed this house.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres Slumpys (william livingstone) data:

http://www.detroit1701.org/Liv ingstone%20Mansion.html

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Slumpy,

I've always loved that house but really, how the @!%^&@! is anyone going to fix THAT?!?!

Would it not be easier, more cost-effective, and more practical to carefully dismantle it to save the stonework, design a replica to be made of available materials, and build it from scratch using as much of the old detail as possible?

Or is it entirely possible straighten it out?

It's funny to now learn that is was moved in '05 because I went to photograph it that year after shooting it several years before and when I couldn't find it where I remembered it and saw the vacant, freshly stirred lot I assumed it was demolished. Cruising around for more lens fodder I came across it and began to think I was losing my mind as I did not remember it being where I found it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.