Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Well, now I guess I've just have to POACH doves « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll get eaten by me one way or the other...

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5843/86644.html?11629495 77

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some in my yard you can eat if you would like.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can still shoot all the pigeons you want.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trash

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just make sure you killed them and not the bird flu, otherwise your hunting days may be over.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i didnt know people ate doves

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse my profanity to the people with sense, but you people need to go to HELL (not Hell, Michigan for the ignorant ones). Doves is the lord's holy bird, and you shouldnt be killing them and eating them for your enjoyment. A nice picture of my mentioning of hell is welcomed.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

doves taste wonderful.

so does rhino and cheetah.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4679
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Dtown, but the religious rhetoric is useless. God didn't create any bird more holy then the next, trust me. lol

I also hear bald eagle tastes pretty good, as well...

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh you all do not read the bible or go to church do yall?

Bald Eagle is the Nation's bird and yall dont respect that.

How would yall like it if the birds ate yall????

-Oh well, not my fate.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're going to bring the Lord into this I might as well bring up the first book of Genesis..

"Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb I have given you all things."

By the way the Mourning Dove was not the same type of dove mentioned in the Bible. Mourning Doves only live in the Western Hemisphere.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on November 08, 2006)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4680
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You show me where the mourning dove is declared anymore holy, any more special of an animal than any other part of God's creation, and I'll concede. Still, I wouldn't much care. The Bible doesn't run my life, though I generally find it a very good book with some very important teachings and life lessons, particularly the teachings of Jesus.

Just so you know, I voted against a mourning dove hunting season, but you better believe it had nothing to do with the Bible.

BTW, don't worry about my fate, worry about your own. I see now that you're one of those intolerant thumpers.

(Message edited by lmichigan on November 08, 2006)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to know why anyone would even bother shooting a mourning dove. They are the fattest, laziest, dumbest birds on the planet. How is that entertaining?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you"

Was that in the Bible or on the Soylent Green packaging?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted against dove hunting, but I almost voted for it just because of the commercial that said you can't eat them. Bullshit. People eat them all the time where it is legal to hunt them. I hunt quail and eat them and they're smaller than doves.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 978
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlton Heston:

quote:

Soylent Green is people!

Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to point out how inconsistent and silly it is for a state to have turkey, grouse, duck, and quail hunting provisions, but no mourning dove hunt. It reeks of emotionally-driven nonsense.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What other wildlife does the state not provide hunting provisions for?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It reeks of emotionally-driven nonsense."

Lots of women voted. Who would've thunk it reeking like that?

Johnnny5

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many birds and animals that can not be hunted in Michigan, more than I care to list. When it comes to birds that are commonly hunted elsewhere; Spruce Grouse, Swans and Sandhill cranes are the only birds I know of that are protected in Michigan. They are all protected for logical reasons, mostly due to their population. The Mourning Dove on the other hand is protected because "It's cute."

Shoot all the ugly turkeys you want, just don't kill the pretty little doves!

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my parents have 30+ some wild turkeys setting up home in their yard, in the morning they enjoy watching them wandering across the grass looking for grubs (keeps the grub pop. down) but Mom gets pissed when the Tom´s start fighting in her flower beds and at night when they fly up into the trees for roosting- wow- is that a noisy event. Dad usually knocks one or two off for Thanksgiving but otherwise prefers to let them wander and sets up feeding areas in the winter for them and other wildlife (has a small herd of white-tails developing) and since there are now like-minded neighbors around(lots of little kids setting up forts and playing in the woods), they prefer to prevent hunting in the area. He and his pals think "dove hunting" is more or less target shooting and since very little worth eating afterwards- not really worth the effort. This from NRA activists??

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we get you guys to eat some of the pigeons around here?
I'm sure if you marinated them and wrapped them in bacon, they'd be tasty.
There's a huge flock living on a building near the Ambassador Bridge...just watch out for the homeland security patrols.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmmmmmm..Poached doves..

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are many birds and animals that can not be hunted in Michigan,

And there are many that can be. Do you have to shoot everything that moves?

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick Devos and I are going dove hunting this afternoon. We are using guns made entirely of elephant tusk ivory and are using bald eagle beaks as bait.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10853
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in.

Supersport

Post Number: 10854
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering if everybody realizes that it was GRANHOLM who signed the legislation into law back in 2004 that allowed dove hunting in the first place. This after lying outright to voters stating that she would veto any bill that would allow dove hunting. Only when the animal activists got the needed signatures to get it on the ballot was it banned.

GRANHOLM MURDERED DOVES! LOL

Granholm...a Republican at heart when it comes to hunting and gun ownership.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Fjw718

Are those Amway guns you will be using??

My dog has gotten a few doves in her day and chewed the heads right off - I am turning her in to the authorities.

Boynamedsue
Username: Boynamedsue

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing is, is that the wild turkey almost became our nations bird of symbol instead of the eagle. On top of that, I have eaten mourning dove and they taste great. Try grilling the breast with bacon wrapped around it. They taste amazing. It is also a cheap ay of living, not having to buy all of your meat at the grocery store. I guess i'll just have to go to ohio to go hunting.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meat on meat is always good. Mmmmm...

A hobo sandwich.

Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And there are many that can be. Do you have to shoot everything that moves?"

Well, my point is that the dove hunting ban is arbitrary. It isn't grounded in reason. There's no conservation rationale to ban the hunt. Only the emotive rationale that doves are cute.

Imagine if the government banned the harvest of kale. I doubt you'd accept the argument that "Hey, there's already a thousand different kinds of lettuce and cabbage you can still harvest. Just eat those. Don't worry about kale. Do you really need to eat it? Kale is cute."

That's a terrible public policy argument, because it is arbitrary. So is the dove hunt law. It's arbitrary. It makes our state look stupid. And it means I have to POACH rather than purchase tags whose proceeds would partly go toward conservation and wildlife management. Where is the sense in THAT?

Rjlj

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no rationale to allow the hunt.

Supersport

Post Number: 10856
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How so? Now it's the government's responsibility to decide what we can and can't eat?

Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there's no rationale to allow THIS hunt, then there is no rationale to allow ANY hunt. So the logically-consistent position would be to call for a ban on all hunting. You might favor this, but I bet that most people don't.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no rationale not to allow it. I am willing to put money down that many of you who oppose the dove season actually hunt. Dove hunting in the woods is a hell of a lot harder than shooting them off the phone lines. In the woods, doves are not fat, lazy etc. They are a challenge to hit, just like any other game bird when flushed. A dove season would do nothing to pare down the population of doves that are considered songbirds in the urban/suburban areas.

Rjlj

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The government never said you can't eat them. Do you understand the issue?

Rjlj

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This topic should be deleted, it has nothing to do with detroit.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 640
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now it's the government's responsibility to decide what we can and can't eat?

Don't they already do that? I am pretty sure you can't eat dogs and cats in this state.

quote:

Imagine if the government banned the harvest of kale. I doubt you'd accept the argument that "Hey, there's already a thousand different kinds of lettuce and cabbage you can still harvest. Just eat those. Don't worry about kale. Do you really need to eat it? Kale is cute.

I would accept it, because it is not important enough break the law over. I might try to get the law changed but I wouldn't announce to the world that now I HAVE to poach kale, because no I really don't. I will not starve without it.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How so? Now it's the government's responsibility to decide what we can and can't eat?

You can eat whatever you want. Whether or not it's legal is another thing. The FDA's whole job is to decide what we can and can't eat. Has been since the early 1900's.

quote:

The government never said you can't eat them. Do you understand the issue?

No, the government said we can't hunt them. In order to eat them you need to harvest them. In order to harvest them, you need to hunt them (or grow them in a controlled environment). Transitive property of eating.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are the Lord's bird, eat them on Sundays.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... this whole thread has become theatre of the absurd.... kinda reminds me of the Monty Pythonesque movie TIME BANDITS...

...where one of the dwarfs was munching on a rat... the other dwarf says to him "they are not meant to be eaten"... and the munching dwarf replies "how do you know that they are not meant to be eaten, if no one has tried eating them before".... :-)

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading this thread,I think maybe the internet is a series of tubes.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The internet IS tubes! Ha!

You know what? People that shot them before will still shoot em. How in the world is anyone gonna get caught poaching a freakin dove? This isn't a bear, or moose. You could blast it and put it in your pocket.

The law is meaningless. Even if you get caught poaching a dove, how bad you think the penalty will be? My guess, not very harsh.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, but they will probably catch more dove poachers than Detroit murderers.....

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, where are most Mourning/Morning Doves found?

Is the only reason they're considered "sporting" is because they're smaller and they fly?

Shit, if you rednecks find so much offense to the ban, hunt them anyways. My grandpa kept two BB guns around to knock off squirrels while sitting on his rear porch back when Taylor was more, how you say, prarie-like.

Only uptight fuckwad neighbors are gonna report you. And the only departments that will respond are the ones in the burbs with fuckall else to do.

Huzzah for Detroit and it's urban praries. Time to shoot me some pheasants (and some black squirrels).

Supersport

Post Number: 10859
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh, but they will probably catch more dove poachers than Detroit murderers.....

Ya got that right. They'll probably fine these poachers $500 and even possible jail time. Easy money grab for the state, where as murderers usually ain't got a pot to piss in.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wait for the day when the hunted turn it around on the hunters.. sweet justice

(Message edited by DetroitBill on November 09, 2006)

Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mourning doves are VERY common in Michigan - really, all over the state - but they are thickest south of Bay City. Draw a line from Bay City to Lake Michigan, and south of that line, there are mourning doves.

Also, for people who oppose hunting on humanitarian grounds, it's worth remembering that doves have quite small brains. Their ability to process concepts like fear or suffering is quite a lot less than the ability of a deer or a bear. I'm not saying that doves are STUPID animals, but they certainly aren't anywhere near the top of Darwin's totem.

Also, this topic DOES relate to Detroit! For one thing, there actually are mourning doves in some of the city's urban prairies. These birds are abundant. Someone above referenced the idea, but I think it would be a very interesting notion if some of these urban prairies were cleaned up and turned into nature preserves, perhaps with a visitor's center and interpretive signs.

I'm not sure if anything quite like that exists in the US. Portland (Oregon) has a big park called "Forest Park" near downtown that has some elements of that, but that park is a douglas fir forest; it's not a prairie.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, didnt we already vote on this?

Johnnny5

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ We already voted on AA as well. =)

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on November 10, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.