Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Motown's Downtowns November 24th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've hinted at this event in past posts, but now its time for the formal announcement. This came through my email today:

Please participate in a pilot project to bring a new transit system to Metro Detroit’s downtown areas. Motown’s Downtowns is offering a FREE and unique shopping experience on the busiest shopping day of the year, November 24, 2006 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Shuttle riders can quickly and conveniently travel to Detroit, Ferndale, Hamtramck and Royal Oak to explore new shopping opportunities. Shuttles run continuously, every 15 minutes. Riders will be given free Shop Woodward discount cards for shops along Woodward in three of the four cities. Seats are limited. Please call 313.887.6510 to volunteer or to reserve your space today!

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in Detroit will there be shopping?

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the name implies, there will be stops in the downtown areas of each city. We'll provide the guides to help you find the shops. There are lots of them, trust me.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not being skeptical, just curious. I hope this goes over very well. Is there any website?

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No website yet. Look for additional information on the sites of Arise Detroit, City Connect Detroit, and the Woodward Avenue Action Association, among others. Press releases are going out today.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the city sponsored event a few years ago, where shuttles took you to all the art galleries in Downtown and Midtown - there were alot more than I thought!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 745
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is very cool! I can't wait!

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061113/B IZ/611130359/1003/METRO

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, this service is free!! It's like someone has already planned out the busiest shopping day of the year for you. You can't beat free...

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great, if only the Downtown Detroit stop was skipped. That'd be a waste of time. Sorry.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course space cause there is absolutely NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shopping downtown anywhere...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually all four downtowns together are more a collection of places to eat and drink than shopping destinations. Shoppers World? Dollar Castle? Borders Books?

Not exactly an exciting collection for the novice. In order to shop Downtown Detroit, you will need the better part of a day to wander around the RenCen, Woodward, Greektown, and a car or cab will help you get to other stores in Eastern Market, E Jefferson, Corktown, Wayne State areas.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Synergy has been having annual events which highlight the shopping areas of downtown. One is planned for next month. To those that say there is no shopping downtown, I recommend participating. It's a lot of fun and you get to discover a lot of cool stores.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done the Detroit Synergy event for the last two years. They give you a big old bag of goodies (coupons) as well as a map that shows where lots of businesses are located. One of the bad things is that some of the businesses are closed once you get to them (shame on them).

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Spacemonkey is right... there's no Aldi's, Dollar General, Dollar Bills, Dollar Tree or Dollar Kingdom downtown, so why would it be worth his trip downtown...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 899
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who say there isn't any shopping downtown, when was the last time you actually went downtown to shop? True enough, most of the shopping is in the Ren Cen and Millender Center but it is shopping, along with Blumz on Gratiot and Broadway, the shops on Jefferson across from the Ren Cen...

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget the numerous liquor stores which make up a majority of the shopping experiences in Detroit.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 749
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Christmas I did ALL of my Christmas gift shopping in Downtown Detroit. Yea, I could have gone to RO or Birmingham, but in Detroit I found some really cool interesting shops. Pure Detroit, ofcourse, some creative fashion shops. Could I do it every year? Yes, if every year more and more "one of a kind" or other type of shops keep opening up.... I will be there to shop.
Yea, there's no Target, Nordsrom's, Crate-n-barrel or Best Buy. Big fickin' deal! Everyone loved the gifts I gave, BECAUSE they didn't come from those stores. But then... some people can't handle "different" or not main stream.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome! What a great idea!

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Spectacles on Grand River between Randolph and Broadway.

Mark England on Woodward.. you have Athletes Foot on Woodward.. It's not prime shopping but you can get it done in the city.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Studio Cotoure on Woodward too

isnt there a high end botique in Harmonie Park somewhere?

and there's Flo at Willis and Cass next to Avalon

plus the new one that opened @ Cadillac square

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 902
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You also have Ragz @ the corner of Grand River & Broadway.. that might be the boutique Apbest was speaking of.

Silver Fox Furs is down there as well above Ragz

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to start somewhere. I love it. Great work!

Mscongeniality
Username: Mscongeniality

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really amazing! It'll be a perfect outing with my family. Maybe some ice skating at Campus Martius too! Thanks for sharing!

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you RSVP'd? If you haven't, you should!

Also, welcome to the forum, Mscongeniality.

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Flyer:

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it is a great success :-)

There is nothing like downtown and neighbourhood retail strip shopping for the holiday's. I almost never use suburban malls for shopping anymore. Its much better in the fresh air of downtown. You don't get as stressed as in the malls during this time of season :-)

Enjoy it. I was hoping to make it out to this event, but I can't get out of work.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a spot for this on the channel 7 news...I think its a wonderful idea...Idk of any shopping downtown other than what I have heard about on here, but that doesn't mean that its not there...

Detroitduo

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little late, but did anyone go to this Shopping event? I was unable due to family requirements.... makes me quite sad, really.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always done at least 70% of my shopping Downtown or online..If you look its really quite surprising what you can buy downtown for Christmas.. Dont forget Pure Detroit and Pewabic Pottery,,Biegas Gallery also is great,,,Pangborn Designs also offers lots of cool things,,and gee you dont even have to drive to the burbs to fight mall crowds,,I stay away from them

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.