Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Tastefest becomes Cityfest « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica Tastefest renames itself Cityfest

Adam Graham / The Detroit News

New Center's annual food, music and cultural event known as Comerica Tastefest has returned to the proverbial drawing board and invented a new name for itself: Comerica Cityfest.

The new name "better describes what the event has evolved into," says Michael Solaka, president of the New Center Council. "It's not all about food."

Food -- lobster corndogs, fried Mars bars and all -- is still a major component of the event, of course, but Solaka says the festival is just as much about music and culture. Above all, "it's a celebration of an urban neighborhood," and the new name helps describe that, he says.

The free summer festival, which unfolds along West Grand Boulevard near the Fisher building, was founded in 1989 and boasts a reported annual attendance of more than 500,000 visitors.

This year's event featured big-name performers, such as Common and Cat Power, and Detroit rock groups, such as the Hard Lessons and Blanche.

The 2007 event will be held from July 4-8.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061109/U PDATE/611090444

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It makes me happy just to think of that festival, whatever the heck they name it.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that's lame, but at least the money will help the event. What actually happens is more important than what it's called.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 891
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City fest sounds lame.. keep it the way it was. No one will come any less or more because its the city fest. I can see them changing the name to keep it from coming up in comparison with the Chicago Taste Fest.. which it isn't by far.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I miss something, what money?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan-- Jasoncw seems to be under the impression that with the name change, Comerica has become a sponsor-- but as the article headline states, it was already a sponsor.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need more unique food offers. Seems like the same vendors every year.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. The name change is lame.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10864
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cityfest....sounds anti-suburban to me.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Tastefest - sounds more unique

Yvette248

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cityfest... anti-suburban??? I don't mean to be insulting, but that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Contrary to the stupid ranting of L Brooks and certain media hype, the definition of city is municipality. Its time for all of us to grow up and stop the petty divisiveness. Detroit is not our own miniature midwestern version of a civil war. The Shiites don't live in the city and Kurds don't live in the suburbs.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, Yvette248, yes they do.

;)

Yvette248

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, okay, 1953. Here is the politically corrected version of my rant:

Although *some* Shiites may live in the city and *some* Kurds may live in the suburbs... yada yada yada... May we all live in love and peace.

:-)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10869
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette,

You haven't picked up on my twisted sense of humor yet have you? I was kidding, as I almost called the name change "racist!" I can only imagine the reaction that woulda got outta ya. haha

Yvette248

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont like the new name...what was wrong with the tastefest?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Change is bad. Change scares me. :-)

Seriously though, I am not sure about the name change either.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7119
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beats, "Crapfest."

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as the food is still yummy I dont care what they call it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.