Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Junior Year In München « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's lil claim to international fame.

I had two friends involved in it over the last school year. They loved it and has anyone else on here experienced it?

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the Junior Year in Freiburg program. This was mostly UM MSU and U of Wisconsin folks but it was open to other participants. I also heard good things about the WSU program in Munich. Ich kann es Dir nur empfehlen! My wife works for a German exchange program that arranges internships (CDS) that I can also highly recommend.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girl friend (for some seven years in the 1970s) did the Freiburg program at UW-Madison. She was born, quite coincidentally, in the very same community in Austria where my grandparents lived and emigrated when she was nine. She started college when she was 22 and pursued advanced degrees in German and Japanese. The Junior year abroad program is and has been fairly common at other universities.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 739
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm currently doing a 3 year delegation in southern Bavaria for my company and I can seriously recommend that any opportunity to study or work abroad should be taken. It is the absolute best experience of my life.... although, I miss Detroit.....

Bussey

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wo Bin Ich!

Detroit....damn

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Duo...I did my junior year abroad in Malaga, Spain and it changed my life. That's part of the reason I live downtown right now.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand why the hour-hand is different, but shouldn't the minutes be the same? Sorry for nitpicking.

Bussey

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jet-Lag

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 684
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not had the opportunity to study in Munich (wishing I had), but I did get an opportunity to spend a month there for work. Such a wonderful place to be, and it was about 1 year ago that I was there. Christmas in Munich is really something special!

Detroitduo

Post Number: 744
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

München is a wonderful city. Very rich. Lots of history and the people are mostly friendly. The Christmas markets in München are "middle of the road" when compared to Southern Germany as a whole, but the energy of the city is just a wonderful experience.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only spent time in the northwest last x-mas. Still a wonderful experience.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually saw that sign when I was there visiting a friend who lived in the neighborhood!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Christmas, nothing compares to Nuremberg's (Nürnberg) Christkindlmarkt (Christmas Fair). It is in the medieval town square. And with Nuremberg being both the Toy and Gingerbread (Lebkuchen) capitals of Germany, it's a wonderful experience.

Although not a long program, the University of Detroit Mercy Business School does have a nice summer in Oxford England program. It's only 3 weeks long, but what an opportunity. Do most of your classwork before leaving for England, and just 1/2 day lectures 4 days each week with little or no homework. I took an Oxford course in 1989, 1990 and 1994 for my undergrad and graduate degrees... and saw the sights of England.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jr year in Valencia (Spain) beats jr year in Munich anyday....
There's no Paella or topless beaches in Munchen.

Bussey

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well.... there actually is, in München, a beach at/near the "English Garden" where public nudity frequently occurs.

Can anyone else concur with me?

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't remember seeing any of that at the English Garden but maybe I missed it.

I went over there through WSU as well in 99. I would agree it was the best schooling I ever did as well. I would recommend it to anyone.

Going to Bayern Muenchen games is where I learned to like soccer. I would have to say European soccer games are more fun than any american sporting events out there.

Bussey

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anything remotely similar to München in North America?

Montreal maybe?

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quebec

http://www.languages.cstudies. ubc.ca/quebec/images/Q03F013A. jpg

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 673
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhhhhh...

Bussey

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo

Post Number: 747
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, you are right. Actually, the nudity has gotten so frequent and previlent they tried to crack down, but it didn't work. Yes, nudity in the open green fields of Englischer Garten can be found all summer long.

NOT to mention Surfing! Yes, actual surfing. There is a standing wave in the river flowing into the Englischer Garten and there are often surfers there. quite cool.

Bussey

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

München Rocks!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3060
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup I concur about the Englischer Garten. The ice cold waters of the River Isar (coming out of the Alps nearby)... cause some of the bathing nudists some embarrassing "shrinkage" problems however... :-(

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Munich is also an unbelievably clean city, a byproduct of a very heavy-handed police presence.Littering, loitering, or any sort of public unruliness will usually result in an immediate assertive reprimand- they don`t screw around.Especially in the subway stations.Just a very pretty, disciplined city and people.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is this thread going?! Ich habe keine anhung!

Bussey

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well München and Detroit are sister cities through WSU affiliation....so......

I'm enjoying this.

Yeah the city was very immaculate. We stayed at at the Pension am Gartner Platz Theater and just near there was the Virtualken Market which was like the Eastern Market yet with out the parking lots and bums!

If I spoke fluent German and also had a much larger bank roll I would move there in a second.

Michmeister

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ich hätte gern 10,000€ / Monat und eine Wohnung direkt am Marienplatz! :-)

Bussey

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per Month! Damn. When was this?

Michmeister

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dreamt it just last night!

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not in Bavaria but Wiesbaden for three years. Munich is my favorite city in all of Europe.

Oktoberfest

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In those pictures Bussey posted there are all kinds of people walking around. It all looks pretty weird to me. I think that they should all get back in their Volkswagens and do what normal people do: drive somewhere. What's wrong with those people?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are they going to build the Marienplatz Expressway? That is what Munich really needs. :-)

Bussey

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are still debating about the placement of the new CVS/Cheescake Factory. It is being held up by the construction of the adjacent parking garage and whether or not it will have street level retail.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.