Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photo Du Jour - November 10 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's then and now P.D.J.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where will the Windsor Symphony be performing after the sale?

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They perform in the Chrysler Theater which is separate from the Cleary but attached to the building. I've never seen a pic of the original Cleary before, that thing was bloody ugly.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4462
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks AIW. Good history there. Sound slike Ford Auditorium South. A newly rennovated White Elephant.

jjaba at the Fisher.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8958
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WSO performs in various places throughout the city. Though, The Chrysler Theatre is its home.
If you wanted to hear the WSO live, one of the best places to hear them is at the Assumption University Chapel. Amazing acoustics and an outstanding venue.
I agree with the Executive Director that the Cleary doesn't promote its shows very well. Not to mention the horrible way to purchase tickets at the counter!
Many times I have had the displeasure of purchasing tickets at the counter and they don't even open up at the right time. I have heard them getting their cash registers and drawers going at 10:00AM even though they wre supposed to be taking transactions at that time. I'm glad St. Clair College has finally taken this off of our hands.
Hopefully the University of Windsor (though I doubt it now that they are buildng a new performing arts building) can take The Capital Theatre as well. That way my dollars don't go into a facility that keeps bleeding red ink.

AIW is correct, this city does not support its art community very well. Too bad because we have some wonderful artists in various media here.

I do have to say that the Cleary does look better today than it did when it was first built. A closer look of the 1957 picture reveals the old Norwich block (on the left) and the Baby house (built in the early 1800's and captured by the Yanks during the War of 1812) on the right.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that Windsor continually moves its streets around buildings or meanders them to install turning lanes in the middle of the street? Drive down Ouellette Ave ( or Riverside Dr. in front of the Cleary) to experience this exciting ride. It is absolutely dreadful!

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ That's weird, I was just thinking that as I drove up Ouellette Avenue heading to the Wings game tonight. It's really noticeable on Ouellette.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.