Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Loves Its Animals « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061103/M ETRO/611030378

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8957
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many people in the city who could care less about human beings. Why would they feel any different towards these poor animals?
I find it tragic but not suprising.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article is alarmist and exaggerates the situation greatly, but if anyone is concerned, they are always looking for volunteers to walk and foster the animals.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is disgusting to think how people treat animals this way. I would love to reciprocate the service these "workers" give to the helpless animals who are taken from the street.

Unfortunately, like the article said, the real fault lies in the ignorant people of the metropolitan region who don't understand the responsibility of raising an animal.

Why won't the state impose stricter penalties upon citizens and state "workers" who do these kind of things to animals? The animals have done nothing to deserve this.

Thinking of the "Poor Bums" who wander the streets aimlessly, I can hardly scrape together a tear of sympathy. Most have pioneered their way onto the street into a life of poverty, rejecting all avenues of redemption, most settling upon a life of crime, dishonesty, and drugs. On the other hand, animals make no choices that lead them to the fate that awaits them from State and City run shelters. Lack of care, people there for the paycheck, dead animals in cages with live ones, workers feeding puppies to snakes - then fired, only to be rehired - FU@K!N& DISGRACEFUL!
It makes me so sad that I live in this world when I hear about the inhumane treatment that thousands of animals go through each day. Sure, the animal police are on it. Their day-in day-out hard work only avails to a slap on the wrist in just about every situation. If only these animals could talk and fight back against the humans that foster these problems.............. you wouldn't think of the middle east as an issue anymore.

One day, I will do something about this problem. It is a promise to every mis-treated animal across the United States.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't we contract out animal control? It is obvious the City is not operating this department in the manner that is should.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What department of the city is being run efficiently?

Budget constraints have stripped each and every department down to the wire, making them less than functional. (police, emergency response, animal control, animal rights, city council, public cleaning, work zone traffic control, etc.)

Again, if you contract it out, it still costs $$$$$$$$ ---> which we don't have. So for now, this "system" is all the animals have, and until they become a priority instead of a liability, the care will never reach them, and they will continue to die off in poverty.

Very Sad

Baltgar

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though, how could it cost more money than they are spending now? There will be no facilities to run and no benefits to pay to employees. Wouldn't MHS like an influx of cash for a job they are basically doing already?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5985
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT LOVES IT IS ANIMALS

It's really not too complicated.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 985
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's paper Detroit News had a related item in the editorial section. Sorry but I can't find it on line.

Baltgar

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the article?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/O PINION01/611100318/1008

She mentions building a new facility. Where is that money coming from? Why would we give money to an inept department. Give it to non-profits and let them run animal control.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 986
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baltgar, yes, that's the letter I saw.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The city's Animal Control Center, which eliminated 38 percent of its animal control officers the past year due to budget cuts, is under fire because of inhumane conditions and the mistreatment of animals."

The department is "under fire" all right, from reporter David Josar, who wanted to stir things up with another "hard-hitting," "investigative" "expose."

Boy, thanks, Mr. Josar! A promotion can't be far off for you!

Seriously, there is NO NEWS in this article. Every point made is common knowledge. It's muckraking at its finest.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury.........

So you are saying that this Nov 3rd article is not accurate?

Baltgar......

I have heard the Humane society is equally skilled at squandering its' money.

AIW..........

Review my last sentence, and tell me something else I don't care about you jagazz

Baltgar

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve-

You've heard??? What is that? Do you have any facts?

Do you have a better suggestion?

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody need to adopt a dog or cat? That would help.

http://search.petfinder.com/sh elterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi? animal=&breed=&age=&size=&spec ialNeeds=&declawedPets=&childr en=&status=&id=&internal=&cont act=&name=&shelterid=MI196&sor t=&preview=1

or to volunteer: (from their website)
We now have a VOLUNTEER PROGRAM to help pet, walk, bathe, cuddle our adoptable animals. We could make a lot of use of a groomer to work with some of the animals that come in matted!Please call Patrice @ (313)224-6323 for more information and how to sign up! Our adoptable pets are looking forward to meeting you!

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 386
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Children who mistreat animals often turn into adults who abuse other people. It shows a lack of compassion for the defenseless.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Barnes,
I'll give her a call Monday, but if I get sucked into becoming the "Old cat Guy", I'll expect help for food and litter from you.

from a happy adoptee of two demanding cats from MHS.

quixote01.jpg

Citylover

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To rehire someone that fed a puppy to a python boggles my mind.Shit brained people hiring back other shit brained people.

How a society treats animals is a reflection of that society.I am not saying that every where else does a grand job but I have never heard to the degree about other cities that I have detroit.

As for asking for volunteers I hope it works. But there are dozens of humane societies in mich and animal rescue operations and they all need volunteers.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you knew how many puppies go through that place and how many of them arrive injured, sick with Parvo, etc, you could see how a jaded person might do something like that.
Jams: they need a headshot guy, are you game?
There's an extra bag of cat litter in my garage, I'm a dog guy (got mine from C of D Animal Control, of course).

Jams

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely, I'll call tomorrow.

Pet portraiture was one of my specialties. One year I photographed 86 animals between October and December at my studio in response to a promotion I ran.

Thanks.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2718
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

86 in one year? hah!
Lots of work for you there. You'll be digital, I hope?

Citylover

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto if you were addressing me regarding how many puppies go thru the place and how I could understanD someone feeding a puppy to a python you are wrong.

The question os one of judgment and compassion. I understand animals must be put down. But to be cruel for ones amusement shows an alarming lack of compassion and a personality that is pathological_ shitbrained.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2721
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my friends has a python. It eats little furry animals. It eats them not for the amusement of people, but rather by instinct. The mice it eats are cute too.
Given the number of sick puppies that roll through that place, I can see how somebody could become desensitized to suffering enough to do such a thing. I don't like the idea but...
You're saying that the person involved is doing something for his/her amusement. Anybody who causes animals to suffer for their amusement is certainly ill, however, do you or the "former volunteer" have any evidence to back that up?
Or are you just assuming?

Jams

Post Number: 4186
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again Barnes,
I spoke with her today, she'll send me the "paperwork" via email and I'll meet with her later this week, looking forward to doing my small part.

Citylover

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto it appears that you are defending those that work at the shelter.......why? I re-read the article.The python incident was just one of many.And she (the worker) fed many puppies to the python not just one; the city was forced to hire her back by civil service rules_ she did it she admitted it_ what exactly is your point? I never said or alluded or made any indication that I thought pythons ate small animals for amusement.The point is any one stupid enough to feed puppies to a snake when they are supposed to be at the very least minimizing the suffering of all the animals in their charge should not be anywhere near the place. If you are equating feeding mice to a snake with what the worker did .......well that is a lame argument.
Not giving fresh water to an animal_ how fucking hard is it to turn on a faucet and put water in a container?

I understand conditions are not good and that things a re overwhelming.But much of what is in the article, and I have no reason not to believe the article is because of people that are supposed to be minimizing the animals plight are not doing their job .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.