Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Where to live and work? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm new to this forum, but a long time reader and fan of the site. Hi!

I'm a student at Wayne State and I'm tired of living and working in the 'burbs... a friend and I are looking for a place to live either downtown or midtown, and I'm trying to find a place (preferably a bar) to work at. I've been talking about it since 10th grade, and it's high time I get a move on.

Any suggestions on either for downtown living and/or employment?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroitmidtown.org

go to housing or development

(Message edited by apbest on November 14, 2006)

Jeduncan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I've checked out some stuff on that site, pretty cool stuff! I'm actually working on getting an internship with the UCCA right now. Hopefully I hear back from them.

I need to get some bar experience so that I can get a job at a bar down there somewhere because working retail to get me through school is a hinderance when they want me to be there 5 days a week for very limited pay.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no shortages of Bars in downtown

close to you, Northern Lights in new center (I know the owner)

Cass Cafe, honest johns, bronx, etc...

and tons downtown in the GCP area/Park ave

but UCCA's website is the most comprehensive list of midtown housing Ive seen yet

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.apartmentfindersdetroit.co m

they are the best folks to work with if you're looking for an apartment in detroit.

instead of paying application fees for different apartments, i paid just one universal application fee to them and then they sent my applications to three different apartments. i got to choose my favorite apartment. it was worth it. they're located near medical center right next door to the majestic/garden bowl.

Jeduncan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My problem is that i have 7 years experience in retail and none in food service or bartending... I want to work in a bar, it's far less bureaucracy to deal with. One less thing to stress me out when I have more important things (school) to worry about.

I'd love to work somewhere I can just go as me, and not some asskissing lemming in a corporation like Lowes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.