Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » MSU crowned king of party schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4191
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need something to celebrate..........or maybe not!!!!

quote:

"Every academic list under the sun has been compiled except one that accurately reflects the intrinsic wants and needs of every college student -- sex, drugs and rock & roll. Our goal was to find the school that would best fit the needs of a student like that of Ferris Bueller," CollegeHumor.com co-founder and editor-in-chief Ricky Van Veen said in a statement

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20061114/UPDAT E/611140428

www.collegehumor.com/rankings

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn I love goen to MSU. Great people, great parties, great campus. Seeing that helps drown out the sorrow of having a terrible football team once again.

(Message edited by swgz31 on November 14, 2006)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

except you'll get screwed when it comes time to find a job since everyone know you did nothing for 4 years...

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God Bless MSU...now if we can just find a guy that can coach football worth a damn. :-(

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: What do you give the MSU grad. who is standing on your front porch?

Answer: $15 for the pizza

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, no kidding. I went to MSU's College of Engineering for four years, had a job right out of college, and am leaving for a better job at the end of this week.

You just have to study hard during the week so you can party hard on the weekends.

Swgz31

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, contrary to some peoples beliefs you actually have to study to get by here. The people out partying during on a Tuesday are the ones on academic probation or just barely getting by. I'm doing quite well, I'm a criminal justice major with a 3.6 overall gpa.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im impressed with the number of Big Ten schools towards the top of that list.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5191
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO GREEN!!! GO SPARTANS!!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU also has hotter girls than "that school", hands down.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO GREEN!!!! Were going 12-0 next year, mark my words.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU football will continue to pursue its usual fifth place tie (or lower) after UM, UW, OSU, and Penn State.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12-0

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"MSU also has hotter girls than "that school", hands down."

You're right about UM girls being dogs. EXCEPT my gf, and a few other females. She could have been a Playboy centerfold. I would have been in hog heaven if she had a personality. Sadly, she didn't.

Where's Chico State? They're the champions of this for the last 1000 years.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Playboy first started rating party schools during the 1960s or so, my alma mater, UW-Madison, often went unrated because Playboy declared in its listings that it only ranked amateur institutions.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU will forever be a party school. It's a state school. This isn't new news. MSU has been in the top five of party school for like forever.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3303
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UW-Madion still makes the list LY. BTW, you and I may have crossed paths there. 18 year old beer drinking age revved it up. Umm, beer and brats. [<-That's pronounced brahtz to the uninitiated.]

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually,
to all of you guys dogging MSU compared to UM for example, it's way better doing good at MSU than doing average at UM. It's all about the grades you get.

About girls at UM, most of them are extremely cocky, we have the "Jewish Princess' ", the "Black Queens", "Arab Chrome wheels lovers"... the list goes on. As said, in general, very cocky, obnoxious girls.
The only truly nice, hot and classy girls I've met here are the ones at the European student association: Spanish, Italian, German, Swedish (wawawee wa!) and of course, last but not least, French!

(Message edited by frenchman_in_the_d on November 15, 2006)

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"About girl at UM,"

A squared has the largest collection of bow-wows in North America. All the Geek girls go there. I was there, I have have excellent vision, I have testicles. Bow-Wow.

My ex was a Dumont, that French? Think it means "of the mountains", that right? The other half was Hawaiian, maybe that's the crazy part.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumont is literally 'from the summit/mountain top'.

I shall agree with you. A2 does have a great share of geeks. However, the 'wild' ones, not always talking about mathematics and freaking out about their finals coming up in 3 months, are so obnoxious. I, however, have the French thing, and it does help getting 'close' to the princess' out here.
But there's nothing better than a nice natural european girl or from anywhere outside the U.S., studying here for a year, semester or whatever, ready to party, and go wild.

To all MSUers out there, are the girls out there really as 'easy' and crazy as some people claim? The typical Hollister drunken girl? Just asking...

(Message edited by frenchman_in_the_d on November 15, 2006)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plenty are.

plenty aren't.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce wrote of MSU, "It's a state school."

Do you mean it's a state-supported school? So is UM. Or maybe you were referring to the larger percentage of in-state students at MSU.

Southen

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my old professors in college who was a Michigan grad gave me this priceless line:

"9 out of 10 girls in college are gorgeous. The tenth goes to Michigan."

From what Ive personally seen MSU blows UM out of the water.

Swgz31

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree, from personal experience MSU girls for the most part are gorgeous. When I visit my buddies at U of M, I have to drink the girls pretty, and even that doesn't work sometimes.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of the student unions at UW have been serving beer along with the brats for several decades. Not many student unions are bars. The Union South by the engineering campus even has a fairly good size bowling alley in the basement. And you can go sailing or fishing in Lake Mendota at the Memorial Union. If that 10,000 acre lake is too large for you, there are a couple others nearby--Lake Wingra (about a mile in diameter, where I once caught four muskies within three hours) or Lake Monona (a baby at only 3700 acres). I kept a 14-foot aluminum boat on the Yahara River that connects the two big lakes.

It's needless to say (but gloating is OK), other bars are everywhere.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman--you left out the type of Michigan girl with the jet black Betty Page hair (color by bottle), unfortunate architecture of the nose, multiple piercings, LBJ glasses, belly roll from improper choice in bare midriffs (not for you, sweetheart) black knee-high boots and a purse made from an electrical enclosure.
The attractive girls at UM (there are a few) are a product of an extremely comfortable Daddy, and you and I can't (couldn't)part with enough cash on a daily basis to satisfy her.
State has it all over U-M in this area.
I spent a lost weekend in Madison WI in the 80's--that town rocks, and the ladies were mighty fine.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to state, and it was very nice, but is this thread for real?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, jr high mentality is alive and well on this thread :-(

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only wish I were a young eligible female,then I might somehow be lucky enough to have such dignified and charming gentleman as Fortress Warren and Frenchboy sqiure me about.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO GREEN!

I also graduated from the college of engineering, and am doing quite well. I don't have a single friend from MSU who isn't gainfully employed!

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know Im a State guy and I have dated some fine broads who go to Michigan, not all of them are bad at least not the sistas. Not all of them are rich either, but that "were better than you we go to Michigan" vibe is alive and well on that campus. But anyway GO GREEN!!!!

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha...
"I dated broads"... I couldn't expect more articulate and fine vocabulary from an MSUer :-) haha

Seriously, every large University campus has "fine broads". The only problem is the prevalence of cocky and obnoxious girls!
Here's my conclusion: GO BLUE, and GO MSU "broads"!
hahaha

Royce

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, MSU and UM are both state schools. What I meant was that it is harder to get into UM. As a result, your more serious students are going to go to UM, making serious drinking and partying a lot less than what you find at MSU.

Also, because of sheer numbers of students, MSU will always rank higher than UM or other well-known schools when it comes to the partying quotient. More students equal more opportunities for partying.

(Message edited by royce on November 15, 2006)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I think that is a common stereotype. I was accepted at UM but chose MSU because I preferred the organization of my chosen academic program at MSU more, and I consider myself a serious student.

I would believe very few people would chose a school based on the availability of a party. In reality all schools have them.

Fact: UM is the more prestigious and selective school.
Fact: Both schools have great academic programs.
Fact: Both ranked in the top 100 Universities in the world (UM-22, MSU-77).
Fact: Both schools have programs unique to their university vs the other.

Most importantly...
Fact: We are blessed to have these two great institutions within the state, not to mention other great academic resources as well.

Royce

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, that's all well and good. However, how do YOU explain MSU's party-school ranking and why UM isn't on that list?

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't exactly call the admissions standards at MSU a walk in the park.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

UM is actually 10th on this 'party' list...

Swgz31

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U of M is #10 on that list, still fairly high.

Detroitstar, I'm in the same boat as you were, I picked MSU because their Criminal Justice program is ranked #7 in the nation as opposed to U of M's which isn't in the top 15.

Southen

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There must be a huge drop-off between 1.MSU and 10. Michigan because the two arent even comparable. I, being a college student, always have much more fun in East Lansing then I do in Ann Arbor.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I would attribute it to the just-graduated population. More graduates from MSU will move away from East Lansing to the Detroit metro area or other places where the jobs are, where AA is already within the metro Detroit area.

Therefore there is a younger student population in EL meaning there is more undergraduate drinking, as opposed to Ann Arbor where there is significantly more professionals.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on November 15, 2006)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is this Detroit related?

I'm sure I'd take Michigan gals any day over what I had. Had to be one of the worst on the planet. I actually never dated a single gal in college it was so awful.

Now I got me a Michigan grad, and she is quite the cutie (and very intelligent too!) :-) Perfect for me :-)

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EL is probably the ugliest place on earth.
Yes, I agree, MSU girls are probably better looking and more on the wild side, but EL is hit. Really ugly. One strip, and immense and ugly sprawl.
Ann Arbor is a beautiful cute bustling town, with tons of nice trendy bars, museums, clubs, shoppping.
Simply uncomparable.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's really funny that anytime there is mention of MSU, that someone has to chime in that UM is better and vice versa. I do it too, so I'm not calling anyone out.

It's really sad that we cannot celebrate two great schools that have plenty to offer on both social and academic fronts. It seems like sports has seeped into everyday life and really tarnished the image of one university to fans of the other.

In my mind UM is full of stuck up east coast students, and the majority of their fans have no affiliation to the school. But in reality I know this is not true, and I do have great respect for the school...just have a hard time showing it with my green and white classes on.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One strip, and immense and ugly sprawl

While there is one main strip the rest is anything but ugly sprawl. The vast majority of the city is filled with very nice traditional neighborhoods.

(Message edited by eric on November 15, 2006)

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar,

I hope you're not talking about me rippin on MSU.
I really have no prob with MSU. And again, I don't think one is better than the other. The issue is getting good and satisfactory grades and whether you're from UM or MSU, you'll get great job offers.
I was talking about EL though, compared to A2.

Still, GO BLUE, and to all the MSU "broads", we love you! ;-)

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In my mind UM is full of stuck up east coast students"...apparently they have some french ones too, but thats typical isnt it? lol.

Dont get all riled up frenchman im joking.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I certainly was not calling you out...I was speaking in general, as a state divided by our allegiances on game day, which always seems to stetch into more than that.

Oh well, why not just keep it going...
Let's compare campuses. Let me know when you guys get one. Seems like someone didnt know if they were going to build a city or a university so they just threw it up in a random concoction of buildings.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor,

I will agree that A LOT of french people are stuck up. This is one of the reasons why I hurriedly tried to leave the country, and experience a warmer, crazier and less stuck up University environment in the USA. And to be honest, I have no regrets. After some two years in college in the US, I will always be amazed at how welcoming, social and nice american students are compared to the stuck up Parisian. And I will always be amazed at how nice, welcoming and 'generous' and 'wild' american college girls are, especially when they find out you're a frenchie and go crazy over an apprently so-romantic-french accent!
;-)
God Bless America!

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL God bless America indeed Frenchman, does that accent work all of the time? If so I may have to whip out the Jamaican accent more often.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, Mr. Young Detroiter, had to post on this thread.

When I enrolled in MSU last year, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had been sheltered in a little bubble called the inner-city. I had never heard of a "hooka." And I had never seen a "beer bong." These things are just not seen in the hood.

I had a stereotype that drugs would not be as popular amongst the whites. The heck...I was wrong. My room was raided because of the stench of weed coming from what was actually the room of my suitemates. Yes, it's true that it wasn't my room. Otherwise, I observed or was in the vicinity of actions or behaviors that I did NOT find pleasure in witnessing. Campus Gone Really Wild!

Nevertheless, I can also share my testimonial that MSU has a very fine Office of Study Abroad. Their numerous programs and encouragement is the reason that I am currently study for an academic year in Mexico.

And contrary to the idea of United States' education being superior, the workload here in Mexico has been much greater and more intense.

I miss all those drunkards! :-)

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The U of M campus does not even compare to the MSU campus. The whole of downtown Ann Arbor from the Huron river to the U of M football stadium could easily fit within the MSU campus with room to spare. While I love Ann Arbor, it is a city which is part university and part town, whereas MSU is a town within itself. They are simply two totally different types of campuses, which do not compare very well.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor-sekou,

yes, the French accent does work.
You know what college girls often look for: something different. And they die for a french boater.

I even had girls ask me to show them how they kiss in France. The demonstrations were very interesting, educational and torrid ;-) And many girls asked for more than a french kiss many times!!!

I seriously love this country and both MSU and UM girls!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck even I got into MSU in 1997 couldnt afford it but was accepted. Glad I never went to MSU. I flucked(almost) out of WSU because I partied too much, I could only imagine how quicker I would have flunked my classes at MSU. (Damn Windsor being 5min from WSU)

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_d, those European accents are the greatest knee spreaders around, especially for US females. Why don't Korean, Japanese, and Chinese accents do the same?

Here's something you can appreciate, Definition of Heaven and Hell.

In Heaven, the English are the cops, the French the chefs, the Germans the car mechanics, the Italians the lovers, and the Swiss run and organise everything.

In Hell, the English are the chefs, the French the car mechanics, the Germans the Police, the Swiss the lovers, and the Italians run and organise everything.

Saw that in a European car garage.

There's a DS21 Safari sitting in the garage, so I don't dislike the French.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol...
that's really funny.
lucky me then!

once again... god bless america!

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought you would like that.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Frenchie and Fortress Warren will be getting together for a circle jerk soon.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Permanent Beer Pong table set up in my nephew's MSU apartment.

Beer Pong Table

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.