Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Council to vote on scrap dealer regulations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061115/NEWS01/ 611150324/1003/NEWS

quote:

Council targets scrap metal thievery

But haulers object to higher fee plan
November 15, 2006
BY MARISOL BELLO and CECIL ANGEL

The Detroit City Council held a public hearing Tuesday on an ordinance to tighten regulations for scrap dealers and haulers, in light of a rash of thefts and vandalism as the value of copper and other metals has soared.

The proposed ordinance, introduced by Councilwoman JoAnn Watson, would require scrap processors to install video cameras and keep detailed records of their transactions, including whom they buy from and the type of materials they buy.

They would also have to verify the items are not stolen.

The ordinance, which would raise the license fee for haulers, also would require them to own vehicles. People selling scrap from shopping carts would not be allowed to do business.

"Our city utilities, our city's infrastructure is being compromised," Detroit Police Cmdr. Todd Bettison said.

Overwhelmingly, those who attended Tuesday morning's meeting, mostly haulers and dealers, opposed the proposals, saying they created expensive hardships for people barely making a living.

"I've been dealing scrap ever since the pope came to town," said Crawley David McFadden, 67, who went into the business in the mid-1980s. "I don't think we should have to pay all this money."

The council is to decide today whether it will vote on the measure or delay it until objections have been fully addressed.

Anyone else besides me tempted to appear before council to speak in favor of the proposal?

Although I am wondering about how they will enforce verification that items are not stolen. The other regulations all sound good, though.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something needs to be done to keep scavengers from stealing our infrastructure right out from under us. For once, I think City Council has it right.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More scrapper news.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061115/M ETRO/611150339

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3088
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds kinda strange for JoAnn Watson to support something that in a way penalizes folks who don't have cars....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.