Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Building Capacities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Adamtc1
Username: Adamtc1

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone give any information regarding to what capacity buildings are being used downtown? I know that some buildings are getting much fuller but some still remain relatively empty like the Dime Building.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penobscot 65%
Buhl 85%
Guardian 50%
1st National 65%
Cadillac Tower 78%
Ford 70%
150 West Jefferson 80%
211 W Fort 84%
Fort Washington Plaza 80%

According to leasing agents at each building, as of end of September 2006

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4709
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How'd you get that information? Considering the economy and the perpetually soft office market, those are some pretty impressive occupancy rates. Well, at least most of them.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the development blurb in Model D this week, Dime is at 65%

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, it is from the leasing agents at the specific buildings.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way...

The Guardian building was at 6%, yes 6%, just 3 years ago.

On the flip side, the Ford Building was 91% full on 9/11/01. (According to owner of building)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4710
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the new (well, relatively new) owners of the Guardian Building brought that one back from the dead. When they get the parking garage up, the numbers should shoot up, too.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, dont count on that parking structure soon.

It looks like it still a few years off....

Owners of the Guardian also own the Fort Washington Plaza

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4712
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Sterling will ever get their website back up, BTW? Why don't you think they'll act on the parking for the Guardian?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told that after more consideration, it is not in the immediate plans to tear down the building and replace it with a garage like previously stated. It is currently still in their future plans, however I was told that it was certainly possible they might not go through with that specific plan at all. In the meantime, they are working to secure more parking nearby.

The Sterling Group also has plans to continue its upgrade of the building. Apparently, they inherited a real mess of a situation when they bought the place.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3089
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if they don't build a parking structure on Woodward it really won't be a bad thing. Something better (besides a parking structure) could always be built there. Although that piece of land is narrow, it does have main street frontage.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a structure on Woodward to replace that tiny, set-back glass bump would be a real positive addition, IF it is done well. Street-level retail is obviously a MUST, but also the materials and design should mimic an offic building, somewhat similar to the one next to 1001/above the new CVS. I think it would actually act to bring better continuity of form up to Woodward between the Bank One and 1 Woodward Place.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What we obviously need more of in Detroit is surface lots with beautiful landscaping and sheds for attendants.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't all building capacities 100% by definition?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another question: How many completely vacant skyscrapers are left downtown? I know some years ago, the number was pretty high, but am not sure what the situation is now.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 917
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess he should have said occupancy rate.... I was thinking the same thing, but didn't wanna be nit-picky.

My other thought was does he mean, how many people could they hold. :-D

Side bar: Anyone know of any cheap leases downtown for a office/photo studio? if so hit me kevin at crushmediagroup dot com

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those numbers are very impressive. How much of this do you suppose is the result of GM's move? Of Compuware's move?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think those two have much to do with it.

I think the different buildings have changed ownership or management to people who are better at it. Some buildings have also gotten upgraded and renovated too.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How full is David Stott building or Comerica tower?

(Message edited by milwaukee on November 17, 2006)

Gistok

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately there is a lack of retail all along lower Woodward (except for the block containing the Vinton/First National Bldg).

On the east side of Woodward the CAY Bldg. block and Comerica Tower block don't have any retail.

And on the west side the One Woodward block, the Guardian block, and the Chase (formerly NBD) block are all void of retail along Woodward.

Whatever they decide for the Woodward side of the Guardian block, retail should be a must!

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica didnt give exact numbers but said they are generally in the 80% range.

Dont know about the Stott, although it is very low.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad about Stott. Are there any plans for it's renovation or conversion into something else?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4715
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Book and Stott are perpetually low. I'd hope the new owners of the Book can upgrade it enough to pull up its numbers. I don't even know if they have more wherewithal than Ms. Susan Lambrecht, though.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The occupancy situation is not as "good" as it appears. Nobody ever tells people who conduct these surveys the truth. They always quote higher occupancy rates than they're actually experiencing. I used to do it when I owned office buildings. Prospective tenants like high occupancy buildings.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4720
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, how much higher over the reality are they hiking these occupancy numbers would you guess? How much did you usually lie by?

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least 20%. Most of the time I refused to respond to the surveys. Currently there at least three companies surveying SE MI bldgs quarterly.

The surveyors, such as Black's Guide, publish the stats quarterly and supposedly they are purchased by national brokers and users considering relocating here (yeah, right) in order to get a preliminary feel for the market (The surveyors also compile rental rates etc.)

The higher the reported occupancy, the more interest one is likely to get from prospective renters.

Gistok

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... 3WC... sorta like putting awnings on the Statler, don't you think! :-)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd, 20%, at least?! And, no one ever checks them on the claims? Even if no one ever does check them, I think it would be pretty obvious upon a simple visit to the building that the numbers are a lie. I'm having a hard time they can get away with 20%+

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm, no. For many of them, I was given the floor plan layout, with current tennants. I compared the rates given to me and calculated a couple of them to check (150 W Jefferson was one I remember), and the rates came out to be extremely close, if not equal to what I had been told.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 347
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan: Who's going to check, say, the Penobscot bldg for accuracy? Not possible. As far as I know, NO One ver checks. Why would they want to? Everyone knows the info is massages anyway.

Spiritof Detroit: Never heard of anyone doing that. Not too bright on the part of the building owner in my opinion.

Whoever gave you floor plans w/ tenant's names is truly nuts. I'd have fired the person on the spot if it were my employee. Downtown Detroit owners get their tenants from one source, basically. Other DT office buildings. Raiding goes on constantly. Scouts used to come in my buildings and write down the names of all the tenants in an attempt to raid them. My guards had standing orders to throw the culprits out of the lobby if they saw anyone w/ a pencil and paper.

Lawyers for lenders usually screw up the borrower. Lenders require a Collateral Assignment of Rents to secure repayment of the loan. Problem is, those are recorded w/ the reg/deeds, and the dumb parties permit them to be recorded with the Exhibit listing the name of the tenant, number of square feet, and lease termination date. Great fodder for other building owners on raiding parties. Probably doesn't happen any more.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.