Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Wabeek gates on Cass ave by Twingo's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Selwyn
Username: Selwyn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what was there before it became a parking lot?

I know Wabeek was a bank way back when....

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wabeek was the name of the James Couzens estate in Bloomfield Hills located off of Lone Pine Road, west of Telegraph. It was built in 1924 and designed by notable architect Albert Kahn. I guess it fell into disrepair over the years but has since been restored to its original grandeur. Parducci did some work in the home as well. We discussed this on the forum a long time ago though. It may or may not be in the archives.

I think the gates were bought by Wayne State or donated later on. I am not sure when. I believe Couzens lived right near Henry Ford in Boston Edison in a massive Tudor on a corner but can’t remember which street. I have a pic that I will try and post. Apparently three master woodworkers were brought from Germany to do the woodwork and took three years to complete.

I believe Wabeek Country Club stands on the site today. If you’d like to see pictures, go to historicalcourtyards.com and do a search for Wabeek in the gallery section.

One thing that confuses me is that the Wabeek mansion so eerily similar to the Tudor mansions done by Richard Marr in Palmer Woods, especially the Alfred Fisher estate. I wonder if Richard Marr had anything to do with the design of Wabeek?

(Message edited by patrick on November 17, 2006)

Selwyn
Username: Selwyn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I still wonder....why the gates on Cass? Do you think it was the bank or another mansion?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The actual mansion is not on the country club. My friend actually owns the Mansion...it was in shambles when they bought it but over the last 5 years they have done an unbelieveable job restoring it. The rest of the land is actually an entire neighborhood called Wabeek, which is on both the north and south side of lone pine. On the website they give no indication as to why the gates are at that parking lot in Detroit...

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I believe Couzens lived right near Henry Ford in Boston Edison in a massive Tudor on a corner but can’t remember which street.

The James Couzens house is on the northwest corner of Longfellow and Second. It faces Voight Park. Sadly, it's now vacant.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3671
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks as if the BE mansion is being restored or at least it was not long ago.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.