Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Favorite Detroit Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is your favorite Detroit building? Skyscraper, factory, house, and why is it your favorite building. For me it's a tie between the Guardian and David Stott. Both have great orange brick and great art deco details.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a really hard choice there are so many. The city of Detroit is an architectural gem. I would have to say my favorites are the Guardian and the old Michigan Central Station. Although I will say generally when I go out and about I always find my self seeing at least one building I really like.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 928
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always admired Richard Kuhn's home on Warwick in North Rosedale. Except for the small lot, it's remindful of the homes in Newport, RI.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My house

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to go with the Michigan Central RR station for a building. For a house, I might go with what I think was called the Frost house, a now-demolished old mansion from Brush Park, but there are some other old beautiful mansions, too.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the decor inside the guardian is as beautiful as any building in the country.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buhl Building - Skyscraper

Charles Lang Freer House

(Message edited by bussey on November 17, 2006)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guardian---a national treasure......

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 748
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite building was Hudson's. It was such an impressive mountain of red brick, whose various additions only made it more interesting. It lent a real New York or Chicago "canyon" atmosphere to the streets around it.

It's hard to choose because there are so many, but the GM Building-- such an air of power and authority (I can't get used to calling it "Cadillac Place") and the Maccabees (those gorgeous tile murals!) are current favorites.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 749
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, I should have called those murals "mosaics."

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's - Its decline and destruction can never be forgiven.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There use to be a really great building on Bethune at Beaubian (or was it John R). It must have been five or six stories, with porches all the way up its front. It was in disrepair and became demolished a year or two back. What a great building that was.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The three Wirt C. Rowland skyscrapers are my favorites: the Guardian, Penobscot, and Buhl.

But really, I think Detroit generally has very good architecture. Other than a few buildings, every thing's very nice.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Penobscot Building. I love the setbacks and how it narrows at the top. Before the Rencen, the Penobscot was the focal point of downtown's skyline. Also, the red beacon adds to the beauty of this building.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorites are a tie between Wirt Rowlands masterpiece Guardian Building, and C. Howard Cranes masterpiece Fox Theatre Building.

My favorite house is right next to Charles Lang Freer's house.... the Hecker-Smiley mansion on the corner of Woodward and Kirby... fit for the Kings of France.

And I also have a kinda unusual favorite... my favorite grand staircase.... the "Double Imperial" Staircase of the Detroit Public Library. There are very few double imperial staircases, even in Europe. (Neither the Palace of Versailles nor the Paris Garnier Opera House have one.)

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've worked in and explored both the Fisher and Guardian building and both are really spectacular in so many ways. I'll have to go with the Guardian as my #1 fave though.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guardian (interior) and Penobscot (exterior).

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll say a tie between the Fisher and Penobscot. Easily two of the most recognisible building in the city.

Detroitej72

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... the Hecker-Smiley mansion on the corner of Woodward and (Ferry)... fit for the Kings of France.

In life, Col. Hecker built and lived in one of the finest houses in the city.

In death, he lies in repose in one of the finest family mausoleums in Woodlawn Cemetery. It was designed by Stanford White in white marble in the Greek Temple Revival style. It is prominently sited on a low knoll at the head of the main entrance drive of Woodlawn. Hecker was the President of the Board of Directors of Woodlawn.

Nem
Username: Nem

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book Tower for me...I would argue that there are few buildings in Detroit with more character than this gem, even with its dirty exterior. By far the most unique building (with exception to that ugly hulk that is the Ren Cen) of Detroit's skyline

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Penobscot Building. I love the setbacks and how it narrows at the top. Before the Rencen, the Penobscot was the focal point of downtown's skyline. Also, the red beacon adds to the beauty of this building.

>>> I couldn't agree more - i have always loved this bldg since I first saw it when I was 6 yrs old

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 930
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Fav is the Penobscot :-D

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v378/goatrider357/penobsco t_matte_web.jpg

MAB

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 641
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favorite skyscraper: the Book Tower - 1926 Louis Kamper...even before I knew s*** about it...it intrigued me. The reviews of the time said...Obviously Kamper doesn't understand that the beauty of a skyscraper comes from its lack of ornamentation and its use of straight lines...I think that's why I like it...it's beautiful and different.

My favorite non-skyscraper building is Albert Kahn's 1911 National Theater with all of its lightbulb sockets and detailed facade...combined with its past and current prominent location it is severly under appreciated and to me the epitome of what people miss when they have they're eyes on teh cement instead of their surroundings.

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prety much like all of them with the exception of the David Scot.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 667
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In death, he lies in repose in one of the finest family mausoleums in Woodlawn Cemetery

I found a pic:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=hecker &GSfn=frank+&GSbyrel=all&GSdyr el=all&GSst=24&GSob=n&GRid=115 78755&

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Book Tower and/or Fisher Building

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Whitney! Of course I also love all the skyscrapers mentioned above but the Whitney has always had a weird emotional resonance for me. Just a really elegant building.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me personally, my favorite downtown building has always been the Penobscot. I love the deco design with the setbacks, and at night the building becomes the focal point of the entire skyline.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/156265325/

Right behind the Penobscot for me would be the Guardian, fantastic lobby, and the Fisher Building, which is likely the most beautiful building the city has.

Second tier favorites for me, buildings which I think are very underrated, are the Buhl and Dime buildings. Both are fantastic.

Something thats architecturally amazing and something few people get to see these days is the lobby of the David Whitney Building. For me its just as impressive as the Guardian's lobby or the interior of MCS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/159041299/

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fisher Building, followed closely by (what was) The General Motors Building. The GM Building has an industrial magesty to it. Not glamerous, but powerful in the same way some of the post WW II Russian government buildings used to look.....

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree wholeheartedly with Bussey...the Freer Mansion is one of the most amazing homes I've ever seen, and mostly unknown and, in my opinion, underrated.

I had to scrape, but here are some more pictures:

f

f

f

My favorite commercial building would have to be the Book Building...it's pretty fabulous.

b

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3097
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics Quinn. That barrel vaulted gallery is used as a conference room today (it no longer looks so empty). Preservation Wayne used to have monthly meetings in that room from 1999-2003. I remember it well...

That pic from the front of the Freer house shows the 2 mansions to the east of it that were torn down to build the Merrill-Palmer Institute. Although the 50's era institute building is not ugly, it really sticks out like a sore thumb today, what with the rest of the street being restored and infilled. And as most people know, the Freer House is used by the Merrill-Palmer folks as offices and conference space.

The Freer House was built to be an art gallery for Charles Lang Freers enormous Asian art collection (which as we all know went to Washington DC). The greatest loss to the Freer House was James MacNeil Whistlers Peacock Room, which was installed at the back of the house, on the 2nd floor of what used to be the carriage house (before it was connected to the main house via the gallery, above the arch in Quinn's first pic).

What a shame that the Freer Gallery wasn't retained in that house (instead of on the Mall in D.C.). A true loss for Detroit.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the great photos everyone.

"I prety much like all of them with the exception of the David Scot"

What?
The houses were interesting to see too.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stott...

David Stott

Who is this Scot guy?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of book tower whats the deal its new owners i hope they release a timeline or info surrounding its restoration

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 420
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Charles Lang Freer home was built as a residence. The Art Gallery was later. The carriage house was modified to house Whistler's Peacock Room, now in the Smithsonian Institutions Freer Gallery of Art.

Colonel Frank Hecker mansion

Here's a photo of the Colonel Frank Hecker mansion on Woodward at Ferry that Neilr mentions. Designhed by Louis Kamper in 1890, it is to the immediate west of the Freer home. Hecker and Freer were partners in the Penisular Car Company.

Bob Cosgrove

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hecker Mansion
Hecker Mansion

Freer Mansion
Freer Mansion

Freer Mansion Courtyard
Freer Mansion Courtyard

Both houses are beautiful. The Freer House could lose the window air conditioner, however.

Picking one single favorite Detroit building is pretty tough, especially if you include all the magnificent churches in Detroit. One of my long time favorites is the Players club theater on E. Jefferson Ave. I’ve only been in it once and I don’t know much about it, but I’ve always been intrigued by its’ mystery.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a hard one

The Book-Cadillac is what inspired me to pursue an architecture education

The David Whitney and Statler both have/had BRILLIANT floor plans. The A-Shaped design is one of the most efficient out there..so I appreciate them in that aspect.

The MCS by far has the greatest detail work/use of creative architecture.

But, I will have to agree...Hudson's was definitely my favorite. So much so..that I am working on a **concept** for it's block right now as the north headquarters for Macys. It highly resembles Hudson's...it's even 25 stories. JL Hudson would be rolling in his grave....

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MCS is certainly a favorite but the entire skyline is truly a sight to behold with the RenCen as a "conversation piece on the coffee table" and for its own special atmosphere inside, Tiger Stadium, being rather bland and nondescript on the outside.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DAC--my view right out my windows. Man, I have get those dirty windows cleaned.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.