Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What was Thanksgiving and Christmas for you growing up? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Spirit of the Wonderful "What was Detroit for you growing up, what is it now?" Thread,
I would like to Hear about your Memories of the Holiday Season in Detroit!

I remember that the Season did not (unlike today) start at all until Thanksgiving Day. We Never seen a Santa Until after he arrived in the J.L.Hudsons Parade.
I enjoyed Staying Home and watching the entire event unfold on TV,pre-parade TV was as good as the Parade itself.
I remember "Oopsie" taking us on a tour of the Floats at a secret location (well, I didn't know where it was).
Sitting there watching the Parade on TV while keeping a watchful eye out the Window for the 1st sign of Snow (really wanted Santa to feel at Home)and all the Christmas Ads on TV that would seem to start the same day, and the aroma of The Turkey cooking filling the air!

I also recall a Winter Carnival at COBO Hall.
And Dad Driving us all around the City to see the Decorations that were everywhere back then, From Lighted Trees on every street Downtown to the Large Light Display on the front of Hudsons.and all the stores decked out in Holiday Decor up and down the street.
Walking around Hudsons looking at the windows was as Magical as going in to the Toy Dept.
Mom Worked in the Hudson's Toy Dept until she left to work at Crowleys! I never told her ,But I liked the stuff across the street at Kresge just as well!
We never Shopped for Christmas on those Drives Downtown to see the Lights, Mom always took my younger Sister and I down there on the Bus to do our Shopping.and to visit Santa at her former job!

It was a Great time to be a Kid. Toys were simple back then, Tin Cars and Trucks, Train sets (always fantastic layouts at Sears), and Walkie Talkies that were such "High Quality" they would almost work 30 feet away!
oh, I guess I need to Mention "Doll's" and "Doll Houses" for the Girls too. Not that anything was Wrong with the(old school Metal) Doll Houses, My Army Men spent many hours fighting room to room in them! well, actually they were just as Happy climbing around in the Sewing Machine Table Too!

What about Games, we had the Best ones back then,No Playstation's(they tell us you can get shot for these now) or CPU's or iPods, We Had "Tip-it" and "Dont Break the Ice"
and if your parents were Rich, you might get High Tech stuff like "LightBright's" and "Easy Bake Oven's".

Everything didn't come from Downtown, One of our Favorite Stores back then was "Western Auto" on Fort St.

and as Cheap as the Prices seemed back then, It would set a family back a bit to buy just a few things for the kids. In fact,One simple $20.00 Race Track as seen above would set your Dad back almost a Days Pay!

I would Love to see 1960's Downtown Holiday Pictures if any one has any?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 488
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about video of Captain Jolly at J.L. Hudson's Santaland, circa 1960???
http://detroitkidshow.com/capt ain_jolly_christmas.htm

Growing up in Detroit, Thanksgiving to me meant turkey, pumpkin pie and a side dish of corn, courtesy of Sonny Eliot.
http://detroitkidshow.com/Sonn y_Eliot_Thanksgiving_TV_Topper .htm

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We took the commuter train from Royal Oak down to Hudson's and Cobo Center to see the stunning decor-
Christmas dinner was at Grandma's and it was fabulous! She made the best gingerbread cookies!
We never got anything that cost 600 bucks-
Christmas was less expensive back then-

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not having to go to school for 8 or 9 days, that's what I liked best.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanksgiving---Packers vs. Lions----
Christmas---Hudsons 12th floor if I remember right; taking a drive at night downtown to see the lights; also, neighborhood lights; putting up lights and once again complaining that it should have been done earlier before the snow fall; midnight mass at St. Lukes; grandma coming in at the train station from chicago; mom baking for what seemed like a month; trying to get the tree out of the frozen bucket of water to saw it and get it in the stand--i could go on....

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanksgiving was all about watching the Hudson's parade on tv in my house. We didn't have any family here besides my mom, my two brothers and me so it wasn't like we had family coming...but my mom always tried to make a turkey if we had one. We were rather poor and were always excited if we got a turkey from the Goodfellows or some other organization.
Christmas was so magical back then. My mom always managed to make it special. There were always apples and oranges in our stockings each year...something I think was pretty special for her when she was growing up. I remember getting coloring books and crayons each year, maybe a puzzle or two and at least one doll each year. There weren't many name brand toys, but we didn't care. We would wake up in the pre-dawn hours to see what Santa brought and play till around 7. Then we'd fall asleep and wake up to a big dinner that my mom had made. Even though we didn't have any more guests to feed, we always used the dining room table for holiday meals.
My younger brother and I would watch all of the animated Christmas specials...Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown as well as the variety show specials that were so prevalent back then.
Like I said, we didn't have a lot, but the holidays were always memorable and special.
By the way, because I remember getting those baskets from Goodfellows or St. Vincent de Paul, toys from Toys for Tots and Salvation Army....I have made it a holiday tradition at my school to collect canned food for St. Vincent de Paul and toys for Toys for Tots. I share my stories with the students in my school so it seems more real to them why it is important to me to give back. I also involve my son in buying gifts for not only Toys for Tots, but also the giving tree at my church each year. I hope he remembers our "tradition" when he grows up.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I'm too young for that first picture to accurately represent my childhood Thanksgivings, that shot pretty much captures it.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Remember watching BOZO and seeing the B/W clips of Suzy SnowFlake, Frosty the Snowman, and Hardrock,Coco and Joe.

Suzy SnowFlake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYDdm3fZiM

Frosty The Snowman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDLkIdXU--o

The Three Little Dwarfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4CqQ-cUGM

The Friendly Giant was also a Fav of mine, The snow scenes of the Village during the winter time always stuck in my head!

At School (Beard Elementary on Waterman) the Librarian, Mrs Moreland, would do the story of "The Night Before Christmas" on a Felt Board with little Felt Santa & Reindeer's.
And we would have a Christmas Concert in the 2nd floor Hallway, some of the kids learned Christmas Songs on Violin's, I remember them doing "up on the housetop,Reindeer Paws" and Plucking the strings!

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on November 19, 2006)

Tammypio

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH yes! Christmas pageants at church! Our Sunday School teachers would always get the students in their "class" a gift and we would exchange gifts with the other children too...that was a lot of fun!
I also remember the Friendly Giant and the snow scenes of the village. I would love to see some of those old episodes. Was this a Windsor/Detroit show too?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1962, viewing the Lego display window at J.L. Hudson's before going up to the 12th floor to see the wonderland toy display.

www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gal lery.cgi?i=1332737

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Yes, the Lego's. Here is a Pic of my new toys one Christmas, A couple cars, Front end Loader and a Crane (That Crane was on my list to Santa) and what I believe was my 1st Box of Lego's

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all had to wait for Dad to come home from the game before we could eat. We held our breath each time Pop grabbed the electric knife....because he was so wasted he couldn't even focus to see the turkey let alone cut it !

Also old enough to remember when most folks had to work Christmas Eve....UAW or not.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanksgiving of course ended with a bunch of us kids piled in the back of the folk's station wagon to see the lights downtown. We'd sing Christmas Carols and Koledy (Polish carols) the whole way and get Otto's crispy corn on the way home.

Christmas was (and still is) all Polish tradition at my grandparents. On Christmas eve, when the first star came out, we started by breaking bread (oplatek) and wishing each other well. Dinner was meatless (soup, pierogi, fish) and served on a white linen tablecloth over hay to signify the manger. An extra place was always set for the "lone stranger" though we were so crowded around the table that the stranger's place setting was usually in the living room. After dinner, we kids would be sent to the kitchen to wash dishes while "Santa" came. Again, we would sing kolendy the entire time, which most of us learned phonetically.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammypio, I just found 2 clips of the Friendly Giant. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =plXu9IFY3S8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gPE5iF7M76s

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember them doing "up on the housetop,Reindeer Paws"

Umm ... it's "reindeer pause"
Reindeer have hooves

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missnmich, You may be correct,I never thought of it as the "Reindeer were taking a Break". I always thought it was the sound of them landing on the Roof,,Maybe I just assumed the "Flying Deer" had Paws? Thanks

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmmmm, I work for the state of Florida and work Christmas Eve even now!!!

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember growing up in the 80s my parents would drive us downtown on some random night to look at all the light displays. i always looked forward to that. we pretty much always went to tel-12 mall, though, to visit santa. when i got older, we did go to hudson's at northland a couple times...but by then i was a bit too old to sit on santa's lap and knew he wasn't real. i was kinda forced into it, thanks to having 3 younger siblings.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom never Drove a car, and Riding a bus Downtown for Shopping was a one time thing each year, so our main way of shopping was to walk up to Vernor. which we did weekly. we would visit all the stores between Central and Springwells, that one block had all the good ones,Kresge,Jupiters,Federals,Cunninghams and more!
I had a large amount of money (almost $2)saved (most likely from turning in all those 2 cent Bottles that were easy to find, to the Pop store)and on one trip to Kresge I blew almost all of it on one $1.49 item. This Cardboard FirePlace with the one Bulb that would heat up and spin the little Blade, the light would make the Fire appear to Flicker.
That little Fireplace was part our Christmas for Many Years !

Such Joy for $1.49

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 547
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59

I guess they pause so Santa can jump out and leave the goods ,,,

Tammypio

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Ragtoplover59! That was so cool!! I haven't seen the Friendly Giant in so many years and that just brought back a ton of memories for me. My son was watching me as I played the downloads and just didn't "get it"!! I was just amazed at how simple the whole thing was and marveling at how it didn't take all of the graphics and action to entertain us back then. The Friendly Giant.....ahhhh....such a great memory! Thanks again!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammypio, You're Welcome, I was happy to find those clips again too !

And Thanks to all who have added Memories to this thread.

also thank you's to Ed_golick and Gistok for giving me something New to look at!
would love to see much more ! from everyone :~)

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody Recall a park, I think it was going toward Ecorse or River Rouge, that would decorate with large Elves in the Trees, looking like they were Hanging Lights on the Branches? I seem to think the Park was on the Right side going out, before getting as far as the "White Castle" which was on the left side. just beyond the "White Castle" and back on the Right side was another little Restaurant that was Called "Speedies", Best Hamburgers around !
I remember the White Castle,Speedies,and the Park. what I'm not sure of is,was it W.Jefferson or was it more toward Lincoln Park ? on the same road close to the park was an AMC dealer in the early 70's. does it ring a bell with anyone?

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59/gistok, Thank you!! Does anyone else remember going to Hudson's Santa land with your school classroom? Standing in line, heavy winter coat to winter coat, unzipped, the flaps of your "Elmer Fudd" hat snapped on top of your head, name tag on your shoulder, candy cane in hand and nobody talking, just staring? Hudson's lunch with Santa, the "Children Only" shop, with the sales ladies with the patience of a saint. Then finally going thru the revolving door across to the other building to get back on the school bus. That revolving door and alley was a big part of the fun.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember being a kid and going to the downtown Thanksgiving day parade. There were some teenage hippies on top of a building throwing snowballs down at the floats.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Thanksgiving To All !

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,

I grew up in the SW neighborhood around Vernor as well.You're right, we did have some really good stores there. Mom and I would take the bus to Hudson's where I would go into the kid's only shopping section to buy what little I could for Mom and Dad.

Great thread AND memories!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christmas Eve we went to evening church at Peace Lutheran on the east side and then to dinner at Kavan's Colony East. That was soo special because we didn't go out to dinner ever. Cheeseburgers,fabulous onion rings and Shirley Temples were such a treat, and mom and her sister ordered a Brandy Alexander and a Grasshopper cocktail!
I remember one particular bus trip downtown during Christmas Season to see the windows at Hudson's and 12th floor, etc. In the late 60's did they still have saleswomen wearing white gloves, or am I dreaming that? There were many people shopping downtown at night back then. Kresge's or whatever that store was across from Hudson's was hoppin' and we had to try hard to stay with mom. Waiting outside the store for the bus in the freezing cold with what seemed like thousands of other shoppers! How I wish downtown could be like that again.
Ragtoplover59, we got Tip-It and Don't Break The Ice too, and still have them. Also, Barrel of Monkeys, hot wheels, Dawn Dolls, etc. Nothing very expensive, but we didn't know the difference.
The pics you posted are classic! I wish I could post one of us kids on the floor with grandpa/grandma sitting there!
Thanks for letting me post a memory or two, I've got a ton of 'em - all great.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, I'm Happy to be the First one to Welcome you and your Memories to the Page!! Please do post some Pictures if you can !
And keep the postings coming as well!.
What better Holidays could anyone have had, then the one's we Shared in Detroit not so long ago ?

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rickinatlanta, that was a wonderful area to live in, I lived on Central down past the Jr High (Wilson) between the RR and the Freeway.
Remembering very well all the walks up to Vernor to do Shopping,although I hated going to FoodFair/Farmer Jacks,,that involved pulling that little 2-wheeled cart all the way back home, Fully Loaded.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4260
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anybody Recall a park, I think it was going toward Ecorse or River Rouge, that would decorate with large Elves in the Trees, looking like they were Hanging Lights on the Branches?

It's now called John D. Dingell Jr. Park on Jefferson at Southfield in Ecorse. Quite a nice park now, boardwalk along the river edge, paved parking, and used several times a year for community events.

I don't remember a "White Castle" there. It was "Carter's Hamburgers" for years. It was recently remodelled but I haven't noticed a new name.

What period were you in SW Detroit? I grew up there myself late 50's to Mid 60's but still have a lot of connections there.

D2dyeah

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the drive from downtown, back home to West Dearborn, and how each shopping area along the way,decorated the streets and lamp posts with lights, stars, snowflakes, nativity scenes. They were great decorations, not the lame ones they install now. it would be great to see any photos anyone has of there neighborhood decorated for the holidays.

Mtm

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! and riding the bus to Hudson's did your Moms wear hats, gloves, and matching shoes and purses? I remember getting ALL dressed up, including patent leather shoes and "fancy pants" (underwear with lace on the back) just to ride the bus to downtown. I don't think folks even get that dressed up for church anymore!

D2dyeah

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm/ Hudson's must have handed out a handbook to mothers, for the rules of shopping with your kids downtown. Thousands of us were dressed up and marched floor to floor to be shown off, although our Mothers would deny it. With Grandmothers it was even worse. Not only did you have to get dressed up, and for boys it usually meant a tie, you had to be on your best behavior, because Grandma was usually going to buy you something for being good. Great memories!!

Mtm

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best Behavior! God, YES!! Nowadays (sounding like an old fogey) when I see kids misbehaving, I remember how my Mom used to brag that she could take all five of us on the bus and never have to worry about us misbehaving! And we didn't even have to be tempted with a treat though sometimes a Sanders hot fudge cream puff didn't hurt.

(Message edited by mtm on November 25, 2006)

D2dyeah

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had acted the way I see kids act in public today, my Mom would have taken me to Hudson"s for a funeral suit. MY OWN!

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5090
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We knew when Mom said "If you're good we'll stop at Sanders for a treat" was codespeak for 'Mom is craving a Sanders hot fudge sundae' and we could probably behave any way we wanted and we'd still go to Sanders - but who dared?

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those types of toy train and race car ads! Thanks for posting them. There was a thread here one time that had pictures of downtown during Christmas.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm/D2dyeah, my mom didn't wear a hat or gloves, but we went downtown in the late 60's, I guess after the dress code was modified! We WERE actually better behaved back then, I don't have children of my own, but I know that our rules for public and private behavior have changed through the years. Why do children have so much power now? I know that when I was young I needed my mom and dad to be in charge. Didn't want to worry about anything exept playing!
Still don't want to!
Thanks for including me in your group!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, Thanks for the info on the Park, I'm not sure thats the one I remember, I was thinking there was one on the Right side leaving from Detroit, then past that on the Left was the White Castle? May not of been W. Jefferson, I just recall that the AMC Dealer and the Park were close (and on the same side of the road) and the White Castle was further out on the other side? I also think just a bit further out and again across the road from the WC was a Large well known Hardware store that we Bought our Christmas lights from. I do not remember the name of the store. It kinda had a bit of everything like a WesternAuto.

I was Living in SW Detroit from 59-75

This just crossed my mind, Back in our own area we always would eat at Motts, corner of Fort & Green. also would buy our Christmas Tree at the lot beside Motts.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,
I do need a scanner to post pix, don't I?

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, you can scan the pics, or , if you dont have a scanner but do have a Digital Camera you can reshoot the pics and load them that way! I would suggest good indirect lighting and using the Macro. But Yes, you've got to get them into your Computer somehow?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just tried to understand the picture posting process and couldn't do it. I am a bit challenged when it comes to technology so I will not be able to share pix right now.
I am, however, a whiz at the old game Concentration and a brilliant Tip-It player!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

when Mom said "If you're good we'll stop at Sanders for a treat" was codespeak for 'Mom is craving a Sanders hot fudge sundae'

LOL, it was the cream puffs with my mom - every chance she could

Mtm

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to digress but you can still get Sanders hot fudge sundaes AND CREAM PUFFS!! at Laurel Park Mall. Make mine with butter pecan ice cream!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every year when my mom comes to visit she brings a jar of Sanders Hot Fudge Sauce.
I loved Sanders. In the 70's I remember paying .59 cents or so for a Hot Fudge Sundae or Cream Puff on special.
And they had (maybe still have) that yellow cake with the crushed nuts or something around the side? Grandma always got one for our birthdays. Delicious!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath...I think you may be referring to the Sanders Colonial Buttercream Cake. Earlier this month for a family birthday gathering, we enjoyed both the Buttercream cake as well as the original Bumpy Cake!! Check out the Sanders website for details as you can order these cakes for special delivery: http://shopsandersmorley.com/c akes/sanderscakes2.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.