Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Annunciation (Evangelismos) Greek Orthodox Church Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4726
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,

Can anyone tell me when the The Annunciation (Evangelismos) Greek Orthodox Church in Greektown was constructed, and who the architect(s) was/were? Any other interesting facts concerning this building would be great. I never hear about this church, and it's probably one of the most unique churches in the city.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was built in 1981 by Al Taubman. Its unusual texture comes from being the world's largest building built entirely of legos. even the pews are legos.

I agree its unique.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like a Heathen to bash your Christ's Religion.

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I am leaning towards 1910.

http://www.manta.com/comsite5/ bin/pddnb_company.pl?pdlanding =1&referid=3550&id=drx28f

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway I'm not getting much else from the net. I'm sure you will get an exact answer if you pay a visit. Otherwise, look for a date around the base of the building if you are passing through Greek town.:-)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Built in about 1967 or so. Replaced an earlier church that stood on Macomb (built 1910).

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds correct, Fury13. Can anyone tell me where the original Assumption Greek Church on the east side was, before they moved to St. Claire Shores? I think I've led myself to believe that the structure on Charlevoix one block off of St. Jean is that church, but can anyone tell me what that is if it's not the old Assumption?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the old Assumption on Charlevoix.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annunciation Church on the corner of Lafayette and the Chrysler X-way, was built in stages. For a number of years, they operated out of what is now the basement. The building was only about 10 feet high. Later on, they built up the present sanctuary and dome. Sorry, I can't remember the construction dates.

The last time I was inside the church, several years ago, the walls were still all stark white. It was a grand, beautiful, light-filled space.

This month, work began on the addition of a new vestibule to the front of the church.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh cool, thanks Tarkus.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4732
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like information on this one is probably one of the most elusive in Detroit.

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This church was actually built in three stages. Phase I was below ground, and they actually had services there for several years. Phase II was basically the first floor. Several years later, they did Phase III, including the dome. If you look closely, you can see the difference between Phase II and Phase III in the color of the brick.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's how you build if money is an issue. My church took about four years to complete (in the 1950s) because of financial holdups. The art inside the sanctuary wasn't finished until about 20-25 years after the first services were held there. All those things cost quite a bit of money, and it's difficult to do it all at once, even for a large parish.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4741
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone able to find any other information?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.