Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Environmental groups push for Detroit recycling « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7135
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT — Efforts to establish a city recycling program in Detroit are underway.

Currently, the city doesn’t have municipal recycling, said Margaret Weber, program coordinator for Rosedale Recycling, a non-profit volunteer organization that collects recyclable materials at several neighborhood drop-off sites. The organization was established in 1990 in response to the lack of city recycling and collects seven to eight tons of material a month, Weber said.

http://tinyurl.com/yk2bx6

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is wonderful. It is so nice to see so many grassroots organizations making Detroit better. This is key to Detroit's comeback.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would like to think that something such as recycling would not take a 'grass roots effort' as Detroit is one of only a few (maybe the only) major cities that don't have a regular recycling program. A program such as this would just be expected in the city as much as any other major city, would it not?

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree...with the size of Detroit you would think they would have enough volume to make recycling a viable solution to incinerators.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are my options in the CBD to recycle on my own? Any recycling station nearby?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on. You are all a bunch of myopians. Especially you Bob.

Detroit can't manage to pick up trash if you just set it on the curb.

They can't manage the cost of bulk pick up.

I think one of the keys to Detroits comeback would
would be simply picking up the trash laying in the streets and vacant lots first then worrying about complex tasks such as recycling.

How will they be able to pull of recycling?

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a group called recycle Detroit, which used to be recycle Midtown...actually, from their website, it looks as though it's still operating as recycle Midtown...but i do know that they are trying to branch out into more areas of the city.

http://www.midtowndowntown.com /

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7136
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a few years the incinerator will be shut down and Detroit will have to find a new way to dispose of trash. THAT's when you'll see a push for recycling.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, You know for a fact that it will be shut down?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in St. Clair Shores, and we do have recycling.

But it's hard to think about recycling when you have 100 plus trucks of Toronto waste barreling thru town down I-94 everyday heading for the landfill.

It certainly doesn't put one in the mood to recycle.

I don't think that recycling will put a dent into Detroit's comeback though... unless someone can figure out a way to recycle old mattresses.

Unfortunately some Detroiters are light years ahead of the game when it comes to recycling... they recycle stuff that hasn't been trashed yet, such as copper wiring...

(Message edited by Gistok on November 20, 2006)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4241
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep (in lieu of Itsjeff).

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

really? I'll believe it when I see it.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 831
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, recycling by neighborhood organizations seems to make more sense. It seems a lot of neighborhoods in the city wouldn't be so exciting about recycling. Lots of people really don't give a f*ck. You'd have to fine the hell out of them to get them to participate.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recycling can help alleviate some of the illegal dumping problems by reducing the amount of garbage people have to put in their courville container. I recycle with Rosedale Recycles and only throw about 2-3 bags of garbage away each week. My neighbors on the other hand usually have cans crammed full and overflowing with garbage. If that's just their regular weekly trash, how do they handle spring cleanings, projects around the house, etc.? They (or a contractor) throw it in an empty lot.

One thing to note is that recycling programs rarely if ever break even, let alone make money. Rosedale Recycles hauls hundreds of tons of recyclables away each year and still needs the families who drop off stuff to contribute $25 or so on an annual basis to pay the bills. However a recycling program is still far cheaper than the cost of incinerating or putting waste into a landfill. Creating curbside pickup on a bi-weekly basis will also get a lot of families who do not recycle due to the minor inconvenience of storing and personally hauling your items to the local center.

As for the incinerator, the city will most definately be shutting it down when the bonds expire. Right now the city is subsidizing that beast to the tune of several million $ a year because it costs far more to operate than any revenue they get from steam production. The mayor has already come out and publicly stated he's shutting it down in 2009. Several health organizations, hospitals and clinics have also advocated to shut it down due to the high incidents of athsma for people who live downwind from it. Canada has also asked that it be shut down since they're downwind too.

As far as Canadian trash trucks going down 94 or 96, why would that deter you from recycling? What relationship does that have on your personal choices to recycle or not recycle?

Herbpowell
Username: Herbpowell

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recycling is overrated, we have much bigger fish to fry.

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=7734998370503499886& q=bullshit+recycling&hl=en

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

copied from the email i received from recyclemidtown

quote:

Starting in December recycleMidtown will no longer be operating.
December's "Second Saturday" will not be offered to Detroit's
residents.

Services Available for December:

Corktown's collection will be offered the third Saturday. The parking
lot is at Michigan Avenue and 14th Street, the collection times are
between 10 am to 2 pm.

Rosedale Recycles will also be offered the third Saturday. The
address is Pierson and Grand River. The collection times are 10 am -
2pm.

Chene Ferry, 2263 E. Ferry at Palmer offers recycling services twice a
week. Wednesday: 10:00am - 2:00 pm. Saturday: 9:00 am - 3: 00 pm.

Starting in January, Greater Detroit Resource Recovery Authority will
be changing their recycling services. Chene Ferry Services will no
longer be available. New services with Detroit based companies and
recycleDetroit will be involved with this new change. The details
cannot be discussed at this moment due to contracts, yet when the time
is right the announcement will be made.

In order for recycleDetroit to be part of this change, recycleMidtown
will have to end. I am sorry to have to announce this but I am
excited that we will be bringing you all something bigger and better!

Thank you to all who have participated with recycleMidtown! Your
efforts and support were what made the success of the current recycle
movement here in the city. With the work and success we were able to
produce allowed us to grab the attention of the city. Now the city is
taking a step forward to recycling Detroit.

Thank you to Recy-clean for their services. recycleMidtown would not
have existed if it wasn't for the their services. Recyclean does
offer business, school, and apartment recycling services. If you
have any recycling needs or dumpsters please contact Recyclean at
(313) 871-4000.

Volunteer power will still be needed for recycleDetroit. Schools,
communities, and businesses have contacted recycleDetroit to be
involved. Meetings, programs, speakers, and events will be available
to all of you starting in December. Look forward to emails with these
dates.

Thank you to every single one of you for believing in the recycling
movement. Detroit needs as much support as possible, education is the
first step.

Have a happy Thanksgiving! Be thankful for the health we have and the
support we share.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that most folks want to wish the incinerator away, but I don't think there is anything else in place to replace it yet.

So while there is an absolute desire for it to be gone when the bonds expire, there is no plan, other than a working group, to the contrary that I know of.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recycling is big business, I learned that all over Europe they are using a process called Pyrolysis to extract Diesel fuel from all types of recycled plastics. The end product is called "Green Thermofuel". It is the same quality as regular diesel fuel, this means any diesel equipped vehicle can run it with out modifications. The beauty of it is this process is robust enough to handle any and all types of plastics, dirty or clean. This eliminates the need for costly sorting of plastic types at the recycling centers. I think we could do that in Detroit along with the Bio Diesel thing. Thermofuel kills two birds with one stone, the shortage of available fuel along with the need to dispose of the end of use plastic materials.

Jeffrey13
Username: Jeffrey13

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cynarplc.com/

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 352
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good website Jeffrey13! They had a video on there I downloaded for a presentation I have to do Tuesday at school.

Username: 659

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know if this place is still operating? is it legit?

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=3054

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recyclers!!

ATTENTION!!! A new city joint venture, "Recycle Here" has been awarded Detroit's recycling contract starting in January.

Chene Ferry will be closing at the end of this month, and Recycle Here's service will be offered at 1331 Holden Ave (Recy-clean) starting January 6, 2007.

Rest assured,there will be more information to come in the future. We are pleased and excited to be able to bring a new energy and direction to the recycling program in the city of Detroit.

Thank you for all of your support,
Sarah Kubik / Matthew Naimi
recycleDetroit / Recy-clean
Recycle Here

(Message edited by the_recycling_people on December 12, 2006)

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that in the Historic Woodbridge Neighborhood?

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is actually right on the border of Historic Woodbridge and Scenic New Center.

We will be located in whatever 'neighborhood' that wants to claim us.

The recycling guy

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 803
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian wrote, "process called Pyrolysis to extract Diesel fuel from all types of recycled plastics."

Does the energy produced surpass the energy used in the refining process? That's also a controversial issue with ethanol production.

Since plastics are oil-based, you're basically just converting one kind of oil to another, and it all still depends on getting more oil from the ground.

Here's an interesting link:

Incinerators in Disguise: Gasification, Pyrolysis, and Plasma in Europe, Asia, and the United States
http://www.greenaction.org/inc inerators/documents/Incinerato rsInDisguiseReportJune2006.pdf.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps the city could start by carting away all of the dead car carcasses from vacant/abandoned lots. The automobile business has always recycled, since its inception.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.