Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Developers have plans for revitalizing Brush Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 605
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It may not seem like it, but there is a lot going on in Brush Park

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061119/NEWS01/ 611190707/1003

Construction in that neighborhood has been very visible over the last 5 years I don't think this article paints the most accurate picture of Brush Park today. It almost seems to imply that developers are just starting to invest in area when it been happening for years.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed! Woodward Place at Brush Park?!! It's only been there for 5 years and keeps on growing along with the new loft style condos they are now building.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 903
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how come the Carlton isn't selling any better than it is?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is the economy, coupled with people opting for the buildings downtown.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and thanks to gentrification Brush Park would be next hip cool historic sub-division filled with nouveau riche folks.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

especially when that martini bar opens @ carlton place and folks feel safe to drive and park there @ night.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 757
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved into Brush Park in 2000. I LOVE it. Today, it is 200% better than it was, then. I expect (even with the economy being low) the next 3 years will prove another 200% improvement. The comment about number of citizens in PB from 474 to 1,500 is easy, considering there have been almost 300 new housing units built or renovated in the area since 2000. My expectation is by 2010, BP will have 3000 residents or more. Now, where's that nagging Commercial development I can walk to (Other than CBD)?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is it gentrification when the houses that are there largely sit empty? Anyway, if I could afford to I would love to live in one of those houses, they are really neat. Beautiful examples of 19th centry architecture. I just wish the new things they were building were better looking, I am not the biggest fan of Woodward Place.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Ms. Dijkers should stop trying to sell her units during Lions games, usually everyone in Detroit is pissed off and not in the mood to spend $239,000 to $395,000...

I just see it as supply is far ahead of the demand. I wonder how long will it take to get someone to buy.

I'm not a fan of Woodward Place or any of Crosswinds new developments(New Center, Jefferson Village, etc.). The only Crosswinds development I like are the Brownstones on John R. and that was a rehab.

But, they did step in when no one else would...

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three words as to why the Carlton isn't selling well.

Detroit Urban Living

Detroitduo

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like them or not, the Crosswinds development kicked off the renovation of Brush Park. While they are not my favorite, either, the inside spaces are quite nice and appeals to a wide range of people. Regardless, the renovations they are doing to the old buildings are incredible and keeping as much original architecture as possible only adds to the neighborhood. Also, Crosswinds is dedicated to the Brush Park development. The other "new" developers haven't even started!

btw, what's wrong with Detroit Urban Living?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing at all. If I could live anywhere, it would be in the downtown of the D.

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they mean detroiturbanliving.com

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of prices are they asking for the Carlton? I bet they are overpriced compared to the surrounding condo stock.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What kind of prices are they asking for the Carlton?

http://www.detroiturbanliving. com/listingview.php?listingID= 56

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a new sign in Brush Park advertising this web site that is under construction: http://www.hipcityliving.com/

I am considering buying in the area but remain concerned with the number of bums snooping around. There is talk of forming a community policing force as well as hiring outside security to patrol the entire neighborhood.

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used Detroit Urban Living to buy my condo downtown and so have several friends. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

They know the market and take care of their clients.

A couple of my friends bought at The Carlton and are very happy.

The Carlton has a new website: www.thecarltondetroit.com

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrjoshua - I have bought in the Carlton. We have been told that the Crosswinds development has its own security which will be extended north to include the Carlton. We have had some issues at our building regarding car break-ins. Hopefully when they finish the iron fencing around the property, this will be less of an problem.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"community policing force"

I assume by this you mean a radio patrol. Brush Park Radio Patrol kinda has a ring to it. Doing this will make a big difference. Be sure to volunteer. You'll get to meet a lot of great people that way all over Brush Park... not to mention doing the community a service.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not from the area, so my knowledge only comes from reading and seeing the area once, but isn't $140,000 for a studio a little high in an area that is still high crime and somewhat depressed? That there has been a car break-in problem only highlights the fact that the pricing is a bit high. Perhaps extending community policing will improve the situation.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bpjeff, The Crosswind's condos don't have any security force. The only security that is there is provided by the builder to protect the new buildings being built. They aren't there for the residents.

The residents were trying to implement a neighborhood watch program when I moved out a few months ago.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been inside the Carleton, but given that the finishes in the photos look high quality and its proximity to so much in the City, I don't think $140K is THAT unreasonable.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brush Park is not "high crime". In the last year, there has been an increase in incidences, but I wouldn't call it high. Anyway, I think once the road work is finished and the new developer begins building in the area adjacent to The Carlton, you will see a significant drop in the vagrant traffic. Community policing is a VERY good idea and I am sure my neighbors are interested in doing something to keep our neighborhood safe.

Perhaps once we get enough residents in BP, we can form a security force which can patrol just our small area. But we will need several hundred more residents.... Regardless, it's still a very nice and very safe neighborhood.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kpm and Detroitduo,

If the finishes in the Carleton are high quality, $140,000 may not be super-high. But I still think that it is above the market rate, considering that you are being asked to buy a condo in a still largely unsold building (if I am incorrect on this note, please correct me, but my understanding is that not many units have sold), and that the future of the area still remains questionable.

By comparison, the one bedroom Book Cadillac apartments were going for about $290,000 in the pre-sale. Those apartments, however, were (1) one bedrooms, and not studios, (2) downtown, and (3) in a building backed by a major international hotel chain, which will provide condo residents hotel-like services and facilities, top notch security, and long-term stability.

And security is clearly an issue. If car break-ins have been an issue at all, that lowers the value of the apartment. The developer should have provided a safe place to park cars before selling any condos, or at least should provide some kind of discount in price (which the one year rebate on mortgage, mentioned below, may be).

For those reasons, I still think $140,000 is an above-market price. Now, the owner is apparently willing to "pay" your mortgage for one year. If that is true, that would lower the real cost, and might make things a better deal, depending.

Also, before you get too upset, note that I actually am a huge fan of the Brush Park area, and really want it to succeed. I hope that the Carleton sells all their condos as quickly as possible!

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the current pricing of the Carlton is approximately $200/square foot - white box. This would be about $140K - $400K depending on the size. Of the 51 units that were available, about 15 have closed. The developer has told us that they have Purchase Agreements on 5-6 additional units. Those who have not closed are having problems selling their current (generally suburban) homes.

Although we have had some car break-ins in the past, this happens everywhere. (i.e. Rochester Hills) I agree with Detroitduo, as the area continues to develop and more residents move in, these incidences should decrease.

Detroitduo (or any other BP residents) - We are in the process to forming the Carlton Condominium Association and are willing to work with our neighbors to address any neighborhood concerns. Once formed, I believe that we will have a very active and dynamic Association working towards the success of all of Brush Park.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bpjeff, I think you may have hit the proverbial "nail on the head". Houses just aren't selling ANYWHERE in metro Detroit, be it in the city or in the suburbs.

So that could be a serious impediment to folks wanting to move downtown or midtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.