Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New Urbanism « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think everyone knows the benefits of new urbanist developments, what are the drawbacks?

I know this is coming up a little randomly, but I was talking to someone about New urbanism and the potential in Detroit, but I couldn't think of the drawbacks, although I know there are some.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no opinion on it but I did find this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N ew_urbanism#Criticisms .

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5216
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to see new urbanism, check with gentrification!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7137
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never quite got the hang of the old urbanism, now there's a new one?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Urbanism is when you develop a cornfield so it looks like Detroit instead of like Shelby Twp.

In most cases it is still sprawl, but it is sprawl with porches and alleys.

Some examples exist where it is not sprawl. These include Mason Run in Monroe and the N Corktown infill.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drawbacks? Perhaps, walking if you're a fat lazy slob and you like to drive everywhere?

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One issue, to piggyback on Detroitplanner, is that building a subdivision in a cornfield, with cute Victorian designs and alleys is not N.U.

The real key to successful New Urbanism is to incorporate mixed uses - build a small grocery in the subdivision, so people can walk to the store. Infill opportunities are usually too small to accommodate a real NU plan as well. Exceptions would be something the size of Brush Park, or the proposed east side housing development.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By definition, New Urbanism is not sprawl.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 397
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Urbanism is just a catch phrase, I don't think there is a well defined way to describe it.

I would best describe it as areas that are walkable as Udm indicated. This is different than TOD (Transit Orientated Design), but TOD can easily be incorporated into New Urbanism unless it is a project such as Cherry Hill Village where there is no transit.

Many people use new urbanism to describe infill as well. This is not exactly correct as some infill could be be the pig snout houses (where the garage is pronounced and covers the front, much like a pig or dog nose) that are popular in teardown neighborhoods. If there is proper consideration made to blend in with neighboring surroundings to older neighborhoods, new urbanism would be an end result instead of a plan.

Unfortunately you cannot control what the land owner wants to do with his property, no matter how ugly it may look.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan how can this not be sprawl?

Check out the aerial at the bottom of the thread's first page

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums /showthread.php?t=24068

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a thread on New Urbanism from earlier this summer.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/82396.html

Although I like some of the New Urbanist ideas I personally can't stand the architectural styles they choose to employ. Its usually a nostalgic effort at capturing the quaintness of colonial style architecture or any other defunct style . I prefer more progressive forms of architecture that define our age instead of regurgitating something that looks like it came from our great grandparents age.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 813
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Stecks77. As long as it's dense and the parking is in the back I don't care what infill looks like -- I'd rather it be more modern --unless of course it's in a historic district.

Stecks77

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an excellent article from the New York Times about how the New Urbanists tried moving into New Orleans after Katrina.

Vandykenjefferson... I think you'll get a better grasp of the cons by checking it out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05 /21/magazine/21biloxi.html?pag ewanted=1&ei=5070&en=80e143872 470897e&ex=1158379200

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dplanner, we can define sprawl as having several traits:

1. leapfrog/scattered development
2. commercial strip mall development
3. low density development
4. single use development
5. poor accessibility
6. lack of functional public space

So looking at these criteria in regards to Cherry Hill Village:

Cherry Hill Village is located on the fringe of the built environment which requires large upgrades in infrastructure.

the commercial development is built to the sidewalk with parking in the rear.

it is higher density than a traditional subdivision with a variety of housing; single family, attached, multi-function.

it is somewhat multi-use. the commercial development features housing on the upper floors, but it remains on the main road without any spread of retail close to the extents of the project.

the accessibility is fairly poor, with only a few entrances to major roads as in subdivision design.

the project features many public parks and spaces that can serve as communal areas.

So can we define it as sprawl, possibly. It would depend on how you weigh the criteria and assess the projects strengths and weaknesses. In the end, it may be somewhat smarter suburban development.

Chow

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos worth contemplating:

Cherry Hill
cherryhill

A development less than a mile away
sprawl

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Different strokes for different folks."

Stecks77

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chow... Nice photo comparison. Textbook like.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4486
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive any of Detroit thoroughfares and residential streets. That's urbanism.
Just build where you take buildings down, and you've got new urbanism. Older suburbs like Dearborn, Ferndale, or Royal Oak, the same applies. Build to the street, parking underground or in back, and sell or live near mass transit.

jjaba, waiting on the Dexter bus being splashed by drivers. That's urbanism.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHV was not in the fringe when they first proposed it though, it was a few miles to the next subdivision.

I would agree that this is a preferrable type of sprawl, however, in a zero growth area such as metro Detroit, any new development will continue to fight for residents with the older areas, causing the older areas to continue to lose population. Thats why I like Mason Run so much as it redevelops old industrial land for housing and is well adapted to the existing neighborhood street patterns.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks 77 said, "Although I like some of the New Urbanist ideas I personally can't stand the architectural styles they choose to employ. Its usually a nostalgic effort at capturing the quaintness of colonial style architecture or any other defunct style . I prefer more progressive forms of architecture that define our age instead of regurgitating something that looks like it came from our great grandparents age."

I second this point of view. From an architectural standpoint we have moved on from the 'grandparents age.' With new methods of building construction, there is no need for a new building of steel and glass to look like a building built of bricks and stone. "Classicism is not a Style" written by Demetri Porphyrios is a good but complex read on some of these issues. The Congress for New Urbanism is of course always a good place to find out more about what they preach: http://www.cnu.org/

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul... doesn't 95% of all new residential architecture emulate the past?

We see all the McMansions with Palladian windows, hip roofs, Roman arches, etc.

I understand what you're getting at... making a "Disneyesque" neighborhood to look like old styles is certainly Pastiche, but most new homes built today still contain old architectural elements.

I think that the reason so little "modern" architecture in domestic buildings is probably more due to the fact that the majority (not all) folks just like a little "warmth" to their domicile. And modern architecture just doesn't do "warmth" very well.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would disagree Gistok. Lafayette Park is very "warm." The warmth comes from the lush landscaping in conjunction with floor to ceiling windows.

I think Americans just don't like minimalism. They love all their knick knacks and crap. The more stuff, the more decoration, the better.

(Message edited by eastsidedog on November 20, 2006)

(Message edited by eastsidedog on November 20, 2006)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I read here, this "new urbanism" sounds like the stuff that's been going on in Metro-Houston and Metro-Dallas (Plano, in particular, not so much Fort Worth) for 15 years. That philosophy, in the past 5 years (or so, I have not been a resident for a while), has been replaced by the "gated, all purpose community." I for one, hope that Detroit, and Metro-Detroit stay away from that trend, however you see it advertised in Hour Detroit already.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3112
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog... I said "the majority"... Lafayette Park is where "the minority" live... :-)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 820
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, What I am saying is Lafayette Park HAS warmth. But yes, there is definitely a small minority of people that like their home to be COLD and modern.

Chow

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Modernism is not cold to everyone.

douglas

aalto

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Chow. Minimal? yes. Cold? no.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the ultimate in new urbanism: Celebration Florida from our friends and Disney World

http://www.celebrationfl.com/

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your ideas on this one guys. I guess there really are drawbacks to ALL redevelopment ideas.

Thanks,
Vandykenjefferson

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4243
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New urbanism.

Rent a old apartment, bitch about someone buying a place they can afford.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.